JKD_88

Marrying First Cousin

71 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
No flames. Just asking... So which bond and title become stronger: Aunt & Uncle or Mother & Father-In-Law? I mean, after the marriage, who are the parents of the groom and bride?

Aunt and Uncle simply become Aunt and Uncle AND Mother and Father In-Law, on paper. What changes in the relationship, if anything, would vary with each case. It's really not an issue. In my experience, any introductions that include an explanation of "relationship" would be Mother and Father In-Law because they best describe how one couple is SOCIALLY related to the other. The Aunt/Uncle relationship would not be germane in a casual introduction. The family and close friends already know of the dual relationship.

My second wife's sister married their first cousin. In the every day course of life's communication, her father in-law remained either Uncle Jerry or simply Jerry but never Dad. They didn't have children but in other cases the children simply have one set of grand parents instead of two.

Wouldn't they still have 2 sets of grandparents? I mean, the way I see it you'd only have one set if your parents were brother and sister. If your parents are cousins, one set of grandparents would be your mother's parents and another set your father's parents, of which one of the parents would be brother/sister to one of the parents in the other set.

I think.

This is so confusing.

When my cousin married her stepbrother (which I think is weird because they grew up together but whatever), there would have been only one set of grandparents had they been able to have kids because my cousin's mother had abandoned them and her husband/stepbrother's father was out of the picture as well. My uncle wound up divorcing my cousin's husband's mother anyway and last I knew she was living up in the hills with her life partner and a bunch of cats, so she has little contact with anyone, but had it not gone that way....

Edited by meow mix

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
No flames. Just asking... So which bond and title become stronger: Aunt & Uncle or Mother & Father-In-Law? I mean, after the marriage, who are the parents of the groom and bride?

Aunt and Uncle simply become Aunt and Uncle AND Mother and Father In-Law, on paper. What changes in the relationship, if anything, would vary with each case. It's really not an issue. In my experience, any introductions that include an explanation of "relationship" would be Mother and Father In-Law because they best describe how one couple is SOCIALLY related to the other. The Aunt/Uncle relationship would not be germane in a casual introduction. The family and close friends already know of the dual relationship.

My second wife's sister married their first cousin. In the every day course of life's communication, her father in-law remained either Uncle Jerry or simply Jerry but never Dad. They didn't have children but in other cases the children simply have one set of grand parents instead of two.

Wouldn't they still have 2 sets of grandparents? I mean, the way I see it you'd only have one set if your parents were brother and sister. If your parents are cousins, one set of grandparents would be your mother's parents and another set your father's parents, of which one of the parents would be brother/sister to one of the parents in the other set.

I think.

This is so confusing.

When my cousin married her stepbrother (which I think is weird because they grew up together but whatever), there would have been only one set of grandparents had they been able to have kids because my cousin's mother had abandoned them and her husband/stepbrother's father was out of the picture as well. My uncle wound up divorcing my cousin's husband's mother anyway and last I knew she was living up in the hills with her life partner and a bunch of cats, so she has little contact with anyone, but had it not gone that way....

Right, two sets of grand parents but only two instead of four sets of great grandparents. It is confusing, isn't it?

Edit, three instead of four. Really confusing.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah I still call my mother-in-law "Aunt" but when I'm talking about it to people or introducing then I usually say my mother in law, it's just easier. I don't understand the whole many sets of grand parents though lol, our children will still have two sets of grandparents, my parents and her parents. It's nice to see no one criticizing, it really isn't a big deal at all. Not only did Charles Darwin himself marry his cousin but so did one of my two favorite writers of all time, Edgar Allen Poe. (in case we have literature fans here my other favorite is Charles Dickens :D )

October 9, 2007- VSC received I-129F

October 17, 2007- I received I-797C (NOA1)

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 14, 2008- Request for more evidence

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 26, 2008- RFE arrived at VSC

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 7, 2008- NOA2 e-mail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

March 14, 2008- Received at NVC

March 15, 2008- I received NOA2 Hard Copy

April 9, 2008- Fiance received Packet

April 10, 2008- I received Packet from consulate

May 16, 2008- Went to Brazil to be with my fiance and do the interview with her

May 30, 2008- INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

June, 9, 2008- Visa Arrived

June 17, 2008- Fly home together

September 6, 2008- Marriage Ceremony

September 9, 2008- Got Legally Married on paper

September 18, 2008- I-94 expired

January 15, 2009- Sent AOS papers to Lawyer

January 23, 2009- Received more papers from Lawer that needed to be signed

February 6, 2009- Filed AOS

February 10, 2009- AOS NOA1

February 14, 2009- Received appointment paper for Biometrics

March 5, 2009- Biometrics appointment

April 25, 2009- Received I-131

April 29, 2009- Received EAD

May, 2, 2009- Received appointment paper

I never knew that :D

I'm pretty certain in the UK it is fine to marry your first cousin but illegal to marry your second cousin... or something like that... In fact when I was younger I used to chase my cousin around the house trying to kiss him :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

I didnt think Dickens married his cousin - i knew Darwin had but was under the impression Dickens married the daughter of a friend - Catherine Hogart. Though apparently he did have a liking for some of her sisters too....

Learn something new everyday!

Stand corrected your not saying dickens did,,,i re read - your saying you have 2 favourites and Poe did but your other fav is dickens...i apologise....will put my reading head on now!

Edited by truffles

Timeline
I never knew that :D

I'm pretty certain in the UK it is fine to marry your first cousin but illegal to marry your second cousin... or something like that... In fact when I was younger I used to chase my cousin around the house trying to kiss him :lol:

Usually it's illegal to marry first cousins, but second cousins or third cousins or whatever the law. If first cousins are legal, then second cousins would be too logically because the reason most places outlaw the marriage of second cousins is you could be too close genetically - kind of the same reason you can't marry your brother or sister, though I believe there's a world of difference between the two.

Anyway, my whole point is it would make very little sense for you to be able to marry your first cousin and not your second. :blink:

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Yeah I know -t hat is why it stood out in my mind - I remembered hearing it and thinking it was weird...

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Oh #######! Now I have to cancel my Utah horsebacking riding fishing trip. I guess I'll look back into the golfing while riding a llama in Montana excursion. :jest:

Anyway, my whole point is it would make very little sense for you to be able to marry your first cousin and not your second. :blink:

In Utah, it is illegal to fish while riding a horse.

Laws often make sense, but this is not a requirement. :)

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

:lol:

Oh #######! Now I have to cancel my Utah horsebacking riding fishing trip. I guess I'll look back into the golfing while riding a llama in Montana excursion. :jest:

Glad to have helped you dodge a bullet there. Just when Alla is set to arrive, you'd be stuck doing 20 to life in a Utah prison. :lol:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

In Utah, it is illegal to fish while riding a horse.

Laws often make sense, but this is not a requirement. :)

http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html

Well it seems the UK agrees with me ... nowhere in those tables (most recently updated seems to be 1986) does it says 2nd cousin marriage is not allowed :P

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I dont think you should let them know that he is your cousin because they will think that your relationship is a fake... My situation is similar to yours, im marrying my second cousin but they have no way to find out. GOOD LUCK

1987....................We met (I was 1 and he was 3 y.o)

2000....................I left my country

08/04/2006.........1st trip to cuba (15 days)

08/10/2006..........We started dating

12/15/2006..........2nd trip to Cuba (21 days)

05/01/2007..........3rd trip to Cuba (30 days)

12/20/2007..........Got citizenship

01/03/2008..........Sent 129F

01/12/2008..........NOA1

01/14/2008..........NOA2

02/08/2008..........Picked up package 3

04/16/2008..........4th trip to Cuba (6 days)

06/06/2008..........5th trip to Cuba (10 days)

06/09/2008..........Interview in Havana

06/10/2008..........Received his visa

06/20/2008..........Got the "Carta Blanca"

07/10/2008..........U.S entry

08/15/2008..........We got married

03/14/2009..........He received his green card

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I dont think you should let them know that he is your cousin because they will think that your relationship is a fake... My situation is similar to yours, im marrying my second cousin but they have no way to find out. GOOD LUCK

You can't lie on the forms, where you are directly asked if your fiance is related to you. See post #21.

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.