raymaga

WORK ON BOXING DAY!!!! WHAT?????

94 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Aye. In America, businesses operate free of many government controls. This is good, if you're a small business owner, and is good for capitalism in general. However, it's hell for workers. Here in the US, our jobs ARE our lives, whether we like it or not. For many who don't live in the city (and some who do, too), the normal 40-45 hour week is just the start. There's also the 1-2 hours/day of commute time, getting ready for work in the morning, overtime, etc.

There have been times when I have gone a week without really seeing Mags at all. Sure, I get maybe 15 minutes at night before I stumble upstairs and pass out, but that's about it. Is this really what I/we want out of life? Do we want our gravestones to read "He was a good worker"?

I need to find a job that I enjoy that will allow me to make a living wage from working only 30 hours/week. That would be my idea of perfect (aside from being independently wealthy, of course).

That is one of the things I dislike most about the US. The government doesn't appear to do a lot of "governing?" it's all so fragmented with so many jurisdictions within each State/County it's insane! All those administrations, all those employees all of those agencies repeated over and over again.. all those taxes wasted and pissed away! :wacko:

I really miss how back home the government appears to do more for the people. There seemed to be more controls epically on businesses (which are needed), it wasn't this free for all that's here where lives rotate around work. Some employers can work you into the dirt until your burnt out then replace you and start over. Maybe it's just be me I remember work rotated around our lives more back home?

I don't even want to think about so called "maternity leave" over here (it disgusts me to the point of striking but I can't because unions are not allowed!!) or the sad excuse that is minimum wedge. People at my job (and I work for a government department) have to take sick leave and annual time to cover for what 4 maybe 6 weeks "maternity leave" they call it? I've even talked to one worker who took pride in themselves for being back at work within two weeks after having a baby. They couldn't afford to stay off any longer they used up all their sick/annual time! That is sick and that is one of the many, many ugly sides of capitalism.

Sorry but that just had to be said.. :angry:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I have found it weird that the 24th is a day off, alot of families including my inlaws all have the family xmas on christmas eve (day), then everyone splits up for xmas day. There is no boxing day... very very weird.

James and I have decided that we will celebrate our main christmas on christmas day every year and only take with us to his family, presents for the kids etc that we wont see the following day.

Traditionally for my family, all presents were not opened until christmas day morning,even ones given earlier were put under the tree.

This year, we took a couple of small presents for each of us to open christmas morning, since we were in MS, and the rest waited until we got home christmas night.

The 24th is a day off? No it's not, not for everyone. Some companies decide to close that day, but I know for sure I had to work a half day which was a "gift" (hah) from my employer.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline
Aye. In America, businesses operate free of many government controls. This is good, if you're a small business owner, and is good for capitalism in general. However, it's hell for workers. Here in the US, our jobs ARE our lives, whether we like it or not. For many who don't live in the city (and some who do, too), the normal 40-45 hour week is just the start. There's also the 1-2 hours/day of commute time, getting ready for work in the morning, overtime, etc.

There have been times when I have gone a week without really seeing Mags at all. Sure, I get maybe 15 minutes at night before I stumble upstairs and pass out, but that's about it. Is this really what I/we want out of life? Do we want our gravestones to read "He was a good worker"?

I need to find a job that I enjoy that will allow me to make a living wage from working only 30 hours/week. That would be my idea of perfect (aside from being independently wealthy, of course).

That is one of the things I dislike most about the US. The government doesn't appear to do a lot of "governing?" it's all so fragmented with so many jurisdictions within each State/County it's insane! All those administrations, all those employees all of those agencies repeated over and over again.. all those taxes wasted and pissed away! :wacko:

I really miss how back home the government appears to do more for the people. There seemed to be more controls epically on businesses (which are needed), it wasn't this free for all that's here where lives rotate around work. Some employers can work you into the dirt until your burnt out then replace you and start over. Maybe it's just be me I remember work rotated around our lives more back home?

I don't even want to think about so called "maternity leave" over here (it disgusts me to the point of striking but I can't because unions are not allowed!!) or the sad excuse that is minimum wedge. People at my job (and I work for a government department) have to take sick leave and annual time to cover for what 4 maybe 6 weeks "maternity leave" they call it? I've even talked to one worker who took pride in themselves for being back at work within two weeks after having a baby. They couldn't afford to stay off any longer they used up all their sick/annual time! That is sick and that is one of the many, many ugly sides of capitalism.

Sorry but that just had to be said.. :angry:

I think maternity leave shouldn't just be given to pregnant parents though...again, a debate I probably shouldn't get into.

And unions are allowed but not all companies have them. The northern divisions of my company has them, but we don't. As a result, they get better benefits and higher pay than we do.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I agree with this point completely. My fiance asked me if I wanted to go to the movies yesterday and I gave him a lecture about not supporting any commercial enterprise that refused its employees time off at christmas. Of course, some people HAVE to work (health workers, police, fire services etc.) and some people have no family to spend christmas with but I'm sure they enjoy a couple of days rest as much as the rest of us.

I paused to ponder the meaning of christmas yesterday... and I came to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter what it's about if it makes people stop and spend time giving and enjoying the company of family and friends.

When I was working on Christmas Eve, I had a lot of people come and tell me how sorry they were that all of us had to work on Christmas Eve of all days. I am not sure if they were serious, trying to be a #######, or both. If you really believed that, you would be at home or at the park/church with your family, not here. Please, STFU.

Not sure what exactly warranted the 'STFU' and i'm certainly not entering into a justification of my presence on an internet forum on the 27th December or any other day for that matter. :)

I didn't say anything about Christmas Eve. I have worked many Christmas Eves. The topic was Boxing Day and included the mention that some people are required to work on Christmas Day also (which is worse).

You didn't say what type of work you did but if you worked in any commercial industry and were the one working on Christmas DAY then I wouldn't be the one telling you how sorry I was - because I wouldn't be there.

I presume you have family/friends of some description since you're on a family immigration site. Spending time with people doesn't always entail being with them in person.

Happy New Year!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I agree with this point completely. My fiance asked me if I wanted to go to the movies yesterday and I gave him a lecture about not supporting any commercial enterprise that refused its employees time off at christmas. Of course, some people HAVE to work (health workers, police, fire services etc.) and some people have no family to spend christmas with but I'm sure they enjoy a couple of days rest as much as the rest of us.

I paused to ponder the meaning of christmas yesterday... and I came to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter what it's about if it makes people stop and spend time giving and enjoying the company of family and friends.

When I was working on Christmas Eve, I had a lot of people come and tell me how sorry they were that all of us had to work on Christmas Eve of all days. I am not sure if they were serious, trying to be a #######, or both. If you really believed that, you would be at home or at the park/church with your family, not here. Please, STFU.

Not sure what exactly warranted the 'STFU' and i'm certainly not entering into a justification of my presence on an internet forum on the 27th December or any other day for that matter. :)

I didn't say anything about Christmas Eve. I have worked many Christmas Eves. The topic was Boxing Day and included the mention that some people are required to work on Christmas Day also (which is worse).

You didn't say what type of work you did but if you worked in any commercial industry and were the one working on Christmas DAY then I wouldn't be the one telling you how sorry I was - because I wouldn't be there.

I presume you have family/friends of some description since you're on a family immigration site. Spending time with people doesn't always entail being with them in person.

Happy New Year!

I don't think the STFU was directed at you :unsure: .. I think she was referring to the people who tell her how sorry they are that she has to work on a Holiday...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I don't think the STFU was directed at you :unsure: .. I think she was referring to the people who tell her how sorry they are that she has to work on a Holiday...

Ahh possibly. :blush: It wasn't clear what 'you' and 'here' was directed at and I was a bit taken aback by the tone of the post. However, if you're right then I can understand her p.o.v. I have nothing against the people who work these days, as long as they have a choice in the matter and are not having to sacrifice quality time with family/friends whilst lining someone else's pocket. Some don't have much choice and that's why I won't personally go shopping/cinema etc. on these particular holidays.

Anyhow, it is amazing how differently we can interpret things. Thanks :)

What's really sad? I remember the days when retailers did believe in giving their employees holidays off. And customers respected and understood retail employees have families and lives too!

Anyone who eats at Chick-Fil-A probably sees the difference between the underpaid overworked employees of other fast food joints in comparison to employees of Chick-Fil-A who have Sunday off.

Edited by Boo-Yah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Timeline
What's really sad? I remember the days when retailers did believe in giving their employees holidays off. And customers respected and understood retail employees have families and lives too!

Anyone who eats at Chick-Fil-A probably sees the difference between the underpaid overworked employees of other fast food joints in comparison to employees of Chick-Fil-A who have Sunday off.

But of course, I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A, it being an overtly Christian business....

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Actually it seems 'wronger' to me that Good Friday is not a holiday in the US and that it's hardly recognised here, even by Christians - I'm used to it being one of the most important religious days of the whole year!

Tell me about it. I also like the Easter Monday holiday we get back home.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Many people cannot even find work when they arrive, and would therefore be happy to work any day they could-without whining about it.

Perhaps anyone who doesn't like their work schedule should quit their job, stay home, and give the job to someone who will be grateful that they are able to pay for food and the mortgage.

Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Many people cannot even find work when they arrive, and would therefore be happy to work any day they could-without whining about it.

Perhaps anyone who doesn't like their work schedule should quit their job, stay home, and give the job to someone who will be grateful that they are able to pay for food and the mortgage.

Rose

Perhaps those people can't find a better job and prefer to work in a place they are not completely satisfied than staying home and have no income.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Rose

Perhaps those people can't find a better job and prefer to work in a place they are not completely satisfied than staying home and have no income.

My point is, the world owes no one a living, or holidays...

If you want to be successful in this country, there is only one way of doing so... you work your a** off.

I am talking from experience. 3 years ago, I was single, and had to close down a failing business. I was able to support a house and a son on only 14k. I got a new job immediately and worked 7 days a week. That included every holiday I could work to make any OT or extra tips. I increased my client base from 40 too almost 500 by the end of 2007. I worked Saturdays, Sundays, and every holiday that I could to increase my client base and commission.

In the beginning, I did not know where the next meal was coming from, or where the next mortgage payment was coming from. I have no family to help out, and I would not dare to even ask friends to help at the time.

When you are going hungry that night so your child can eat, and rationing heat to keep a warm roof over your child's head, you become very grateful for every dollar you make. My work ethic will never change after that year. I still work as hard, even now with my husband's income. I will never depend on anyone nor will I ever allow myself to be in such a position again.

Whining about having to work on a holiday that is not even an American one is something that I, and many other Americans who crave financial success and independence simply cannot relate to.

I may sound like a hard-a**, but I am speaking the truth.

Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Timeline

Rose

If you want to be successful in this country, there is only one way of doing so... you work your a** off.

I am talking from experience. 3 years ago, I was single, and had to close down a failing business. I was able to support a house and a son on only 14k. I got a new job immediately and worked 7 days a week. That included every holiday I could work to make any OT or extra tips. I increased my client base from 40 too almost 500 by the end of 2007. I worked Saturdays, Sundays, and every holiday that I could to increase my client base and commission.

In the beginning, I did not know where the next meal was coming from, or where the next mortgage payment was coming from. I have no family to help out, and I would not dare to even ask friends to help at the time.

When you are going hungry that night so your child can eat, and rationing heat to keep a warm roof over your child's head, you become very grateful for every dollar you make. My work ethic will never change after that year. I still work as hard, even now with my husband's income. I will never depend on anyone nor will I ever allow myself to be in such a position again.

Whining about having to work on a holiday that is not even an American one is something that I, and many other Americans who crave financial success and independence simply cannot relate to.

Rose

Your truth, anyway.

I've worked many a job where I would have killed for one holiday off so I could have a damn day off.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: Timeline

Rose

Rose

Your truth, anyway.

I've worked many a job where I would have killed for one holiday off so I could have a damn day off.

And that's your truth. MrsB already said she had a mortgage & a kid to feed, did you?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

finally a popcorn thread yay!

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline