MouadsWife

H-1B Visa's... Disney Laying off 250 to hire cheaper paying Immigrants...

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Wow making the employees that are losing their jobs train their replacements or get no severance package is just taking the ****!

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Boiler... lol... I'm not sure if we're on the same page. Maybe I'm not understanding, I dont know. Disney displaced 250 workers. Let them go... fired them... but they want to call it "laying them off". Disney replaced the 250 employees with H-1B workers which is against the H-1B Visa hiring regulations. You can not replace one with another.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Disney outsourced their IT to an Indian Company who brought in their own employees.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

But the indian company should have known the H-1B hiring regulations. That was said on that initial link. I think its toward the bottom of the page. Look on the link on the very first post.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline

Well Boiler I went back and looked and now I cant find it. I don't know where I seen it at. I "temporarily" surrender. Lol

Edited by MouadsWife

Anyone seen this yet? Disney laying off 250 to hire H-1B Immigrants because it saves them money because they do not have to pay them as much as Americans, and other companies are following in their shoes. I just wonder how this will domino effect other visa's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html?WT.mc_id=2015-JUNE-AOL-US_AUD_DEV-0601-0630&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-649108799&_r=0

Nothing new here, this is the IT world since about 2001 -at least- in case you did not know that.

On one hand, companies want to reduce cost, which is how this kind of plans look like; but they usually only compare wages side to side.

Once the new worker comes in, most often than not, the quality of the service goes out the window, both internally and externally.

Expect to see issues at Disney in the near future, from simple annoyances to serious systems breaches.

The other side of this will claim that people (going to Disney) do not want to pay ticket prices that would allow to keep US workers. Some of it is probably true, but also it is probably true as well that the Disney orgaization has to show financial increase/improvements, one way is to reduce cost. Too bad that quality of service is usually not quantified.

There are people who will say that existing workers are displaced by others on lower wages, that is true to some extent.

In recent times, many companies have realized that the reduced cost does not compensate for the dismal quality of service and have began to 'onshore' those IT positions/services. Over time, more will do. BUt it will likely never be 100%

Some will say that companies like Infosys (named in the article) play unfairly or even illegally. I can tell you that Infosys has been twice found bringing people on tourist visas that were performing work (which is illegal), lawsuits had happened and fines had been applied. They then had the hardest time bringing other personnel on L1s (a type of visa that allows to work) and found themselves in a bind as they couldn't complete their commitments/contracts, so they started to hire Americans right and left, not out of the goodness of their heart, but because they simply could not get their offshore workforce in.

Do other companies do that? Probably, just have not been caught.

If you ask me, people then should vote with their wallets, and not use services of companies that have those kind of practices (like the ones reported in article), but then these same people are going to have to be ready to pay higher prices. No one wants to do that. The fact is that the US society is one that goes for lower price not quality or benefit to other US persons. That is neither good nor bad, just a fact that companies that provide a service or sell a product now, and they just act accordingly.

We can go on and on for days and weeks around this matter, but until us the people vote for representatives that truly defend what is deemed as your rights and if they do not, kick them out of office, nothing will change

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Boiler, I normally go along with your answers, but this time I do not. I lived in Europe for a large number of years and to get a job there my employer had to prove I didn't take a nationals job away. We should also live by that rule. I do not think it right that someone comes in this country and for the sole purpose of taking away someones job just because they will except lower wages. I beleive this loop hole will be changed and I for one will not visit Disney and will contact my congressman concerning this. There are allready concerns on this subject if not it would not be a 1000 person lottery a year. If no concerns there would be no limit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not know about Europe but in the UK there is a similar situation which has reached the point of becoming a major political issue.

The odd thing about the US is that this has being going on for a very long time, to my limited knowledge 10 years plus, but the only news you hear is from those wanting to extend it rather than limit it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I dont think any one is working on lower wages h1b employees should be paid same as local people. What the companies pays is another story. What is happening now a days is, Companies from India are hiring only people from there. In Microsoft where i work, it's the same. At the end of the day it's all about how much money the company makes.

Boiler, I normally go along with your answers, but this time I do not. I lived in Europe for a large number of years and to get a job there my employer had to prove I didn't take a nationals job away. We should also live by that rule. I do not think it right that someone comes in this country and for the sole purpose of taking away someones job just because they will except lower wages. I beleive this loop hole will be changed and I for one will not visit Disney and will contact my congressman concerning this. There are allready concerns on this subject if not it would not be a 1000 person lottery a year. If no concerns there would be no limit.

Edited by marriedguy

Timeline

Why wouldn't anyone be coming in one lower wages? That practice is done everywhere. The company once worked for recently did a so called 'spring cleaning' of the higher paid employment so they can bring in newer staff for lower wages. Disney even admitted how much money was saved in their own article. If you were from a third world country, would you not take a lower or low paying job to come to United States?

Filed: Timeline

When you say lower wage, what is a lower wage ?

on average people who are on h1b software professionals make $70k and above. The highest paid so far i know in my company is $600k on h1b.

It's not a lower wage. yes if old employees are let go, the new employees will be paid less than people who worked there long.

Why wouldn't anyone be coming in one lower wages? That practice is done everywhere. The company once worked for recently did a so called 'spring cleaning' of the higher paid employment so they can bring in newer staff for lower wages. Disney even admitted how much money was saved in their own article. If you were from a third world country, would you not take a lower or low paying job to come to United States?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

April 27, 2016: I-751 mailed

May 2: I-751 received

May ??? NOA1

May 12: Check cashed

May 31: Biometrics appointment scheduled

June 1: Biometrics appointment letter arrives!

June 2: Biometrics walk-in

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.