Melencarnacion

Receipt of SS# and Green Card after US entry

14 posts in this topic

My husband and I just finished the Cr1 - petition for spouse process and my husband entered the US on June 5th. The green card fee was paid prior to his arrival. Can anyone that recently received a social security number and the green card provide any timing? We had heard the social security number will take a couple weeks since we indicated on the DS-260 for them to issue the social security and that the green card is taking about a month to come in the mail, just wondering if anyone has experienced similar time frames?

hi 

congrats to you guys. 

1. regarding SSN, I would say you should go to SSN office in person. We did that. Even thou, we check the button for SSN to be mailed but we went and that was the best thing.  We got our SSN in a week after the visit to SSN office

2. His passport stamped is a valid Greencard for 1 year. He can work, travel and do whatever he wants to. However, I found it difficult to get a job till I got physical GC.  My GC came to me in 45 days after entry. 

Timeline: This whole thing was last year.  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Melencarnacion said:

My husband and I just finished the Cr1 - petition for spouse process and my husband entered the US on June 5th. The green card fee was paid prior to his arrival. Can anyone that recently received a social security number and the green card provide any timing? We had heard the social security number will take a couple weeks since we indicated on the DS-260 for them to issue the social security and that the green card is taking about a month to come in the mail, just wondering if anyone has experienced similar time frames?

My husband entered the U.S. on April 28th, went to the social security office on May 7th and they told us he had to be in America for 21 days to obtain his social security card...We did the Cr1 as well and checking it on the Ds-260 did no good because you still have to go into the SSA office to apply for it, but not sure if anyone had theirs mail to them without going in to the SSA office..He received his green card that we paid for prior to his arrival before his social security card..Let me provide you a timeline:

May 24th - Received notice from USCIS that green card was mailed

May 24th - Went back to SSA to apply for ss card

May 31st - Received green card in mail

June11th - Social security card was in mail when we got back from vacation, so probably received the week before

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I believe it depends on which USCIS jurisdiction you are.

I live in CA.

Fees paid on March 26th

POE at LAX on March 28th

I'm still waiting for my GC to arrive. So far no notifications or whatsoever.

On USCIS website it says that they can take up to 120 days to produce it; yet upon entry to the US the officer reviewing my documents said they may take up to 6 months.

04/20/17 - Sent I-130 package

04/21/17 - USCIS received I-130 with PD 04/21

04/26/17 - Received hard copy of NOA1

05/26/17 - Sent K-3 package

05/31/17 - USCIS received I-129F with PD 05/31

10/16/17 - I-130 petition approved & notification of I-129F dismissal were issued

10/22/17 - NOA2 sent by E-mail to our lawyer

10/23/17 - Received hard-copies of both notifications (I-130 NOA2 & I-129F dismissal)

11/15/17 - Case was sent to DoS

11/16/17 - Received an e-mail notification of our case being sent to DoS

11/23/17 - NVC received the case (confirmed over the phone on 11/28) Case # not generated yet

12/01/17 - Got the NVC Case # & IIN over the phone

12/05/17 - AoS and IV fees paid Received Welcome letter through e-mail earlier this day.

01/02/18 - NVC packet delivered to/received by NVC

01/05/18 - SD assigned

02/05/18 - CC (First showing "At NVC" on CEAC, then called and confirmed it)

02/13/18 - Received e-mail notification of our CC and it being placed in queue for interview scheduling

02/13/18 - Just got interview date over the phone: 03/20/2018 Operator said that it was scheduled TODAY and that I'd be getting an e-mail with instructions soon

Later on the day I got the e-mail with PDF letter confirming the CC

02/16/18 - Received PDF letter indicating date of interview + instructions CEAC status showing 'In transit'

02/21/18 - CEAC status showing 'Ready'

03/05/18 - Medical exam in Lima, Peru

03/20/18 - Interview date at 10:15 am

03/24/18 - Visa on hand

03/26/18 - Paid the Immigrant Visa Fee

03/28/18 - POE LAX

03/29/18 - Form OS155A ‘Received and in process’

07/13/18 - Status changed to 'Card Is Being Produced' @ the egov.uscis.gov website

07/17/18 - Status changed to 'Card Was Mailed To Me' (this means it was placed in queue to be sent) 

On the myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov site status changed to 'Case Closed Card Is Being Produced Non-DACA'

07/18/18 - Status changed to 'Card Was Picked Up By The USPS' Tracking No. was provided

07/20/18 - Card received 114 after POE 

1 hour ago, old-fella said:

hi 

congrats to you guys. 

1. regarding SSN, I would say you should go to SSN office in person. We did that. Even thou, we check the button for SSN to be mailed but we went and that was the best thing.  We got our SSN in a week after the visit to SSN office

2. His passport stamped is a valid Greencard for 1 year. He can work, travel and do whatever he wants to. However, I found it difficult to get a job till I got physical GC.  My GC came to me in 45 days after entry. 

Timeline: This whole thing was last year.  

Thank you and thank you for the information, it's very helpful!

48 minutes ago, OlayemiLoray said:

My husband entered the U.S. on April 28th, went to the social security office on May 7th and they told us he had to be in America for 21 days to obtain his social security card...We did the Cr1 as well and checking it on the Ds-260 did no good because you still have to go into the SSA office to apply for it, but not sure if anyone had theirs mail to them without going in to the SSA office..He received his green card that we paid for prior to his arrival before his social security card..Let me provide you a timeline:

May 24th - Received notice from USCIS that green card was mailed

May 24th - Went back to SSA to apply for ss card

May 31st - Received green card in mail

June11th - Social security card was in mail when we got back from vacation, so probably received the week before

Appreciate the timeline and the information. I hadn't heard that you had to be in the US for 21 days to get the social security card. I plan to have him go to the office next week if he doesn't receive it by then. Thanks again.

37 minutes ago, Mrs. DPK said:

I believe it depends on which USCIS jurisdiction you are.

I live in CA.

Fees paid on March 26th

POE at LAX on March 28th

I'm still waiting for my GC to arrive. So far no notifications or whatsoever.

On USCIS website it says that they can take up to 120 days to produce it; yet upon entry to the US the officer reviewing my documents said they may take up to 6 months.

Wow that is a long time to wait for the green card. I know they say up to 6 months but most people we've known have got their's in 1-2 months. But I agree, it must be by jurisdiction. Thanks for the information and I hope you get it soon!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It has been a year ago, but my wife's cards came pretty fast:

Wife's POE was 6/22/17

SS Card arrived 7/3/17

Green Card arrived 7/15/17

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

59 minutes ago, missileman said:

It has been a year ago, but my wife's cards came pretty fast:

Wife's POE was 6/22/17

SS Card arrived 7/3/17

Green Card arrived 7/15/17

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Dee elle said:

There is no such ruling requiring 21 days presence in the US for SSN.. Your card may process as per your DS 260 request or it may not. Easy enough to visit the SS office with passport, proof of address and birth certificate. 

GC can take 4 weeks or 6 months. No rhyme or reason for that.. just is . 

Its not by jurisdiction either.  Both my husband and I entered at the same time and same POE on IR 5... his srrived 4 weeks later.. mine arrived 6 1/2 months later. Go figure ??? 

wow that's crazy yours took that long and his was so quick!

Timeline
7 hours ago, Dee elle said:

There is no such ruling requiring 21 days presence in the US for SSN.. Your card may process as per your DS 260 request or it may not. Easy enough to visit the SS office with passport, proof of address and birth certificate. 

GC can take 4 weeks or 6 months. No rhyme or reason for that.. just is . 

Its not by jurisdiction either.  Both my husband and I entered at the same time and same POE on IR 5... his srrived 4 weeks later.. mine arrived 6 1/2 months later. Go figure ??? 

Didn't say it was a rule..Just stating what we were told when we gone in with his passport, visa, and form filled out..She said he had to be here 21 days in America to get his social and not sure if this only applies to Texas..

You may want to go to the SSA to apply for the card.  Last year my husband went to SSA and found out that all of his information was not input at the POE (or so we were told)even though we requested it on the DS260. The SSA worker completed the information and we had his  SS card within the week and green card the following week. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
23 hours ago, Melencarnacion said:

2-3 weeks is usually how long it takes.  In the meantime the stamped visa is good for a year after entry.

We already had a card on arrival but we got a new one anyway (did not check that we needed one) that had no restrictions.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
13 hours ago, Dee elle said:

SSA is federal so the same across every state. Unfortunately there are a lot of federal employees who, when confronted with a situation in which  they are not familiar, make up some reason that is just simply untrue. It then gets accepted by the person enquiring... because we trust them to know what they are doing.. and then finds its way into common acceptance.. I was simply stating that there is no such requirement so others won’t think  there is. 

I did not mean to offend or challenge you ... 😎

None taken....I just didn't want any VJ members to think I made that up..Some people were quite surprised when I told them my husband had to wait 21 days..Some never even heard of that which I now believe something she concocted up because she didn't want to deal with it...However, I stand corrected😉

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.