Jun2580

Rejection/Approval Rate of AOS through Marriage

10 posts in this topic

I am a foreigner, who is married to a US citizen. We have applied for AOS from my F1 status to permanent residency status.

I over-worry about everything, and I am very stressed out and scared of my case getting rejected even though I haven't even gone to the interview yet. 

My spouse and I were together for more than 3 years before our marriage, and we both are the first spouses to each other. We are close in age, and I have many photos of us from the relationship.

We texted each other almost every day throughout our relationship, which I am planning to take screenshots of to bring to the interview. We got married over a year ago, so we have been together for more than 4-5 years now, and I just got my fingerprints taken for the AOS.

However, as time went on, we have seen more differences between us after living together, and we fight or argue more than when we were just an unmarried couple. Although we are not thinking about a divorce, we are not a very "lovey-dovey" couple like we used to. But we still live together, have a life together under the same roof, and we always sleep together and so on. Of course we got married truthfully in love. 

Could this "us being not really lovey-dovey" or "us seeming not very very close" affect our interview result?  We are of course trying to get things better, but there is no guarantee that we can go back to our "honeymoon period" when we were loveydovey when we were just dating. 

Also, does anyone know where I can see the statistics of marriage-based green card rejection/approval rate? I know it won't help anything, but I want to know if the AOS through marriage is more often approved in general, than rejected.

Edited by Jun2580

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Interesting situation here. I apologize in advance but since you post your concern I feel like I can post something I believe is the right thing to do. To me I feel like you are focusing on getting the green card rather than resolving the situation with your wife. 

Lets break this situation in few parts;

1- Make sure your relationship is going well, you came all the way from (not sure where), you went through all the K1 process to be close to who you loved. Talk to her, evaluate whats wrong and put a plan in place for the two of you start a good relationship again.

2- Obviously AOS is important, but if your relationship isnt going well before the interview, getting approved doesnt mean that you guys will be ok. Actually may end up being another issue.

Sorry, but this is just the perception I get from your message and believe that you can either fight for this relationship and make it to work, or get to an agreement with her, divorce and go back to your country. K1 visa is a family based visa.

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Many married couples argue especially in the beginning of the marriage. Living with someone new is hard and there will be differences that need to be sorted out. I'm also doing AOS through marriage, dated for 3 years and was married last year. Like you and your spouse, we were very loving and always having fun during the dating period. After marriage, it slowed down and we're not always holding hands and what not. 

So many couples do not show affection in public, but it does not mean they are not real couples. Don't try to show affection in front of the immigration officer when you otherwise won't, because it might look forced and might make the officer question you. Just be real and act like how you two always do. I hope you two find common ground soon. 

Gather hard evidences like joint lease/mortgage, joint financials, etc. 

Here is a link to statistics from USCIS for the field offices, but it lumps it all under "Family-based", so it might not be very accurate for looking at marriage-based.

Edited by isa_bella

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Start with marriage counseling and see if there is real reasons for your worries. In North America everyone goes to theraphy.

Edited by A&H2018

25 minutes ago, T_P said:

Interesting situation here. I apologize in advance but since you post your concern I feel like I can post something I believe is the right thing to do. To me I feel like you are focusing on getting the green card rather than resolving the situation with your wife. 

I understand what you are saying. The thing is, we cannot change our interview date, or keep putting it off. 

The point is, I am wanting to keep trying harder until we can happily meet each other halfway (as a married couple, not divorcing), and get a healthier relationship with less arguments and fights. But it will take some time. 

If we just get denied our application when we are still working on fixing the relationship between me and my spouse, I will even lose the chance to do so, and my spouse will also lose the chance to keep trying with me, because the rejection means me getting kicked out of the country. 

47 minutes ago, Jun2580 said:

Also, does anyone know where I can see the statistics of marriage-based green card rejection/approval rate? I know it won't help anything, but I want to know if the AOS through marriage is more often approved in general, than rejected.

There's about a 11-12% rejection rate per USICS website for family based I-485 applications. It does vary per field office. What's yours?

Edited by wantsasheep

3 minutes ago, wantsasheep said:

There's about a 11-12% rejection rate per USICS website for family based I-485 applications. It does vary per field office. What's yours?

And within that 11-12% rejection rate are incomplete applications, wrong fees, insufficient income, crimes, communicative diseases, and fraudulent marriage. 

My interview will be held in Louisville, KY.

2 minutes ago, Jun2580 said:

And within that 11-12% rejection rate are incomplete applications, wrong fees, insufficient income, crimes, communicative diseases, and fraudulent marriage. 

My interview will be held in Louisville, KY.

In the year of 2017, Louisville approved 1056 applications and denied 147. Approval rate of 87.8%. I believe this number is from applications that go as far as the interview, so incomplete applications, wrong fees, insufficient income, (serious) crimes and such would not count towards that number (I think).

Still great odds (if this was odd based). If you truthfully got married for love (which I am sure you did after being with your spouse for many years) you will be fine. I hope you can fix the problems between you two as small problems shouldn't get in the way of true love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, T_P said:

Lets break this situation in few parts;

1- Make sure your relationship is going well, you came all the way from (not sure where), you went through all the K1 process to be close to who you loved. Talk to her, evaluate whats wrong and put a plan in place for the two of you start a good relationship again.

2- Obviously AOS is important, but if your relationship isnt going well before the interview, getting approved doesnt mean that you guys will be ok. Actually may end up being another issue.

Sorry, but this is just the perception I get from your message and believe that you can either fight for this relationship and make it to work, or get to an agreement with her, divorce and go back to your country. K1 visa is a family based visa.

OP is adjusting from F-1, not K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.