Unidentified

Is this really okay for a landlord to do?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Okay, I have lived here for 7 years now so I am pretty used to things here but there's one thing I am wondering if this is a normal US thing or if our landlord just sucks. 

So I know that our landlord (the company we rent from) can send in maintenance guys if there's an emergency and I am cool with that. What I am not cool is the following:

A couple of days ago I noticed the maintenance guys had ripped something out of someone apartment, they are out of town so I assumed it was just some emergency repairs. Today I come home and it says "Notice, maintenance in progress" and the door is unlocked. I come in and no one is here at the moment but there's like some type of construction rug from the door to a locked closet thing in our apartment where our AC unit and the water heater is. Some guy who barely speaks English comes and goes without saying anything other than "sorry".  I am not mad at him because he's just doing what he's been told. 

I am PISSED with our landlord who didn't give us notice so we could have prepared by taking away our laundry (cleaned and waiting in a basket to be folded and put away), taken away the rug that is in front of this closet. I am a very private person and I hate to have someone just come into someplace that is supposed to be my home. Are landlords really allow to just send people in without notice when it is not an emergency? I am so done with this place and I wish we could afford another place but this is DC so...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Every city has their own laws regarding landlords entering a unit. Usually there needs to be a written notice prior to entry  for example 24 hours if it is not an emergency. If it is an emergency then they have to inform the tenant but they can go in immediately. So to answer your question yes there are usually rules ..look up your city or state laws. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I’m not sure if those sorts of things fall under city or state law, and I can only go by my own experience. When we were apartment dwellers our rental agency gave us 24 to 48 hours notice of entry for maintenance reasons. The only emergency they would be allowed to enter for would be if water was spilling from your place and needed to be turned off immediately, and you weren’t home...something along that nature. If I were you, I would be pissed too, and I would contact them immediately for an explanation. Any entry into your place requires notice unless it’s an emergency, and this should all be stipulated in your rental agreement or lease. 

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

Timeline
Just now, Marzena & Stephen said:

Every city has their own laws regarding landlords entering a unit. Usually there needs to be a written notice prior to entry  for example 24 hours if it is not an emergency. If it is an emergency then they have to inform the tenant but they can go in immediately. So to answer your question yes there are usually rules ..look up your city or state laws. 

Thanks. I will definitely do this! It's not an emergency and we got no notice at all. :(

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Please read the lease that you signed. I would be shocked if there isn’t some clause about it. 

April 22, 2020 - I-751 sent

April 23, 2020 - I-751 received at Lockbox 

April 29, 2020 - Check cashed
??? - didn’t receive text or email confirmation. Ugh!

Timeline
1 minute ago, ShanghaiSurfer said:

Please read the lease that you signed. I would be shocked if there isn’t some clause about it. 

If I remember correctly it specifically says they may only go in if there's an emergency otherwise they have to give us a notice and it even specifies the timeframe as well if I remember correctly. I am also looking into state laws at the moment too. They're definitely going to be hearing about this. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Maybe the water heater went out ,  sometimes they will send the renters a statement in their bill or post in a common area ( where the mail boxes are ?  )  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline
Just now, NigeriaorBust said:

Maybe the water heater went out ,  sometimes they will send the renters a statement in their bill or post in a common area ( where the mail boxes are ?  )  

Nope, they're working on the AC unit. And this is planed because they seemed to be doing this to everyone. Normally if this happens they will give us an email about a month in advance and then a reminder the week off and the day of them coming. This time, crickets. We got a new manager a couple of months ago. Guess she already screwed up. They don't make it very long here. 

Filed: Timeline

In the State I reside at, unless it's an emergency, they need to give 48 hour notice.

Here's what I found for WA DC.

"D.C. does not have statutes, but localities and legal experts typically recommend following similar guidelines to ensure respect for the tenant’s home and privacy. Entering a property at any time for any reason can violate a tenant’s privacy and may be considered trespassing.

Unless it is an emergency, landlords should give 24-hours notice or more, if possible, before entering, said Emilie Fairbanks, a landlord-tenant attorney practicing in D.C. Landlords may drop written notice under the tenant’s door or, if there’s a good relationship, inform tenants by text or e-mail, she said."

https://gordonjamesrealty.com/resource/can-owners-enter-rental-property-laws-policies/

Edited by Umka36

There are three places you need to look: municipal law (does your town have any ordinances on tenancies?), state law and your lease. Implied into every lease of residential property is the right to quiet enjoyment, which means that the landlord can't just enter when he feels like it. There needs to be a reason, and he needs to give a specific amount of notice. As others have stated, emergency repairs can be done on very short notice. For regular maintenance, there will be a set minimum amount of time for notice. It can be as short as 24 hours, it could be longer. The law and your lease should advise you of the requisite notice period. 

If you believe that your landlord has not given you adequate notice under the lease and state/local law, you potentially have a cause of action against him for breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment. I'm not saying that suing is where you should immediately jump to, but it's something you might wish to consider mentioning to your landlord when you complain about this entry -- and you should complain! Letting a landlord know you are aware of your rights as a tenant tends to focus the mind. :) 

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
5 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

There are three places you need to look: municipal law (does your town have any ordinances on tenancies?), state law and your lease. Implied into every lease of residential property is the right to quiet enjoyment, which means that the landlord can't just enter when he feels like it. There needs to be a reason, and he needs to give a specific amount of notice. As others have stated, emergency repairs can be done on very short notice. For regular maintenance, there will be a set minimum amount of time for notice. It can be as short as 24 hours, it could be longer. The law and your lease should advise you of the requisite notice period. 

If you believe that your landlord has not given you adequate notice under the lease and state/local law, you potentially have a cause of action against him for breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment. I'm not saying that suing is where you should immediately jump to, but it's something you might wish to consider mentioning to your landlord when you complain about this entry -- and you should complain! Letting a landlord know you are aware of your rights as a tenant tends to focus the mind. :) 

I am definitively going to re-read the lease and I read some Virginia law that said 24 hours. We haven't been given any notice whatsoever. I am definitely going to complain both directly to the on-site manager as well as their headquarters. This is not the first time and I am so done with this. Huge invasion of our privacy and like I mentioned, I have no idea how long these guys left the apartment unlocked when they weren't even in here. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Let us know what you find out.  Yes, this would certainly be upsetting.

Most places would give advance notice in accordance with law, lease provisions, or courteous decency.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I've never rented an apartment or from a company, so maybe I'm jaded. But that sounds ridiculous to me.

As you said - in the event of an emergency, it's obviously understandable. No time to track someone down and get permission. But my thoughts are:

1) If there is no emergency, why would prior notice not be given, at least so much as a phone call? I imagine they have your contact info on file for purposes such as this.

2) Even if there were an emergency, why not provide better notice other than a random note on your door? Call and leave a message. Touch base after the fact. Something??

3) WHY AS THE DOOR LEFT UNLOCKED WITH NO ONE THERE. That would be my BIGGEST pain point.

I'm sure laws and rules can vary not only by state/city, but also by company/complex. I'd review your lease/contract to see if there are any disclaimers. Whether that are or not, I would still be having a talk with the landlord or someone in charge to get a better understanding of the situation. Again - at the very least, they should not be leaving people's doors unlocked if nobody is even in there at the time working. Who winds up being responsible if someone snuck in during those voids and stole stuff? would they? How could you prove it was a random person and not the person in there doing the work/maintenance? ............maybe I watch too many crime scene shows. :blink:

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bermuda
Timeline
18 hours ago, Unidentified said:

Okay, I have lived here for 7 years now so I am pretty used to things here but there's one thing I am wondering if this is a normal US thing or if our landlord just sucks. 

So I know that our landlord (the company we rent from) can send in maintenance guys if there's an emergency and I am cool with that. What I am not cool is the following:

A couple of days ago I noticed the maintenance guys had ripped something out of someone apartment, they are out of town so I assumed it was just some emergency repairs. Today I come home and it says "Notice, maintenance in progress" and the door is unlocked. I come in and no one is here at the moment but there's like some type of construction rug from the door to a locked closet thing in our apartment where our AC unit and the water heater is. Some guy who barely speaks English comes and goes without saying anything other than "sorry".  I am not mad at him because he's just doing what he's been told. 

I am PISSED with our landlord who didn't give us notice so we could have prepared by taking away our laundry (cleaned and waiting in a basket to be folded and put away), taken away the rug that is in front of this closet. I am a very private person and I hate to have someone just come into someplace that is supposed to be my home. Are landlords really allow to just send people in without notice when it is not an emergency? I am so done with this place and I wish we could afford another place but this is DC so...

What is in your lease as to a notice period before they can enter?  That will tell you what they can and cannot do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.