Jump to content

Can I file the form I-864 if I am the beneficiary with no U.S status?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife filed for me earlier this year and now our case is at the NVC. Everything was paid for and we sent the documents. However my wife is unable to work while living with me outside of the country so our source of income comes from me and my foreign business. We filled out the I-864 for her and the I-864A for me. We also included bank statements and supporting evidence for my business. But I received an email telling me that the I-864 for me the beneficiary is missing. So am I supposed to fill out the form similarly to how my wife filled hers out but instead put that I am the joint sponsor? I see in bold text on the first page that I am to submit proof to prove my citizenship if I am the sponsor which I cannot. 

This is what the email said:

Please make the below corrections to your Form I-864 or gather the requested financial evidence:
[ ] Hidden line.

[x] Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
    [x] Your Form I-864 Affidavit of Support is missing. Please complete and submit Form I-864.

[x] You must submit the following financial evidence:
    [x] Please provide your _____2016______________________________ IRS transcript or U.S. income tax return. You can get a transcript on the IRS's website: irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. If you cannot get an IRS transcript, please send a photocopy of your Federal income tax return and a copy of every Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your Federal individual income tax returns rather than a photocopy unless you filed a joint income tax return with your spouse and are qualifying using only your income. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year ___2016_______________________________ , attach a typed or printed explanation of the reason. If you are eligible for an exception for any reason other than income level, you must also include evidence of the exception and how you are eligible for it.
    [x] A copy of every W-2 form that relates to your ________2016___________________________ tax returns.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

To make sure we are clear: your wife is a USC but is living abroad with you, she is the petitioner (she filed the I-130), and you are the beneficiary (the one applying for a visa)?


You can not be your own sponsor (or cosponsor). As the petitioner your wife is the sponsor and must fill out the I-1864. If she does not have us income then she will need enough assets or you will need a cosponsor. Because you are the beneficiary yo can not serve as the cosponsor. You will need to find someone else (living in the us) that can help as a cosponsor.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.