22 posts in this topic

So my husband has failed his medical. He has come out positive for amphetamines. The problem is he is not a drug user at all! He has had a career in law enforcement for 20 years and we are absolutely shocked at the results. We have racked our brains trying to figure out what he has taken that could have effect his results. He had a cold / flu 2 weeks before medical. He was taking ibprophen, paracetomal,  vicks nasel spray and a throat spray. Has anyone ever been through this? What has  your outcome been?  We are currenrly waiting in agoney as they are doing further testing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

None of those would cause him to test positive for amphetamines. Maybe he's just lying to you about not being a drug user.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Anything with pseudoephedrine in it? That can cause a false positive for amphetamines.

N400 filed - online: 10/30/2020

NOA: 11/02/2020

Bio reuse: 12/30/2020

USCIS changed to "Interview Scheduled": 06/07/2021

Interview Date: 07/14/2021 Approved!

USCIS changed to "Oath Ceremony will be scheduled": 07/15/2021

USCIS changed to "Oath Ceremony notice mailed": 07/20/2021

Oath Ceremony: 08/06/2021 🇺🇸

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Also check to see if the nasal spray has any levometamfetamine in it, that could account for a false positive as well.

Edited by SabRob

N400 filed - online: 10/30/2020

NOA: 11/02/2020

Bio reuse: 12/30/2020

USCIS changed to "Interview Scheduled": 06/07/2021

Interview Date: 07/14/2021 Approved!

USCIS changed to "Oath Ceremony will be scheduled": 07/15/2021

USCIS changed to "Oath Ceremony notice mailed": 07/20/2021

Oath Ceremony: 08/06/2021 🇺🇸

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do they drug test everybody now,  I thought it was only when they had reason to believe?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No, no prescribed meds at all. My husband is as straight and narrow as they come. His passion is caputuring and seizing drugs and guys that do and deal drugs. He certainly doesnt do them! 

He only thing we could think of is the over the counter meds. We have done our Visa process  with a lawyer therefore costing us a few thousand. I jut wondered it anyone else experienced this and what the outcome was.

Timeline

This is a new one on me, when I went through I was certainly not tested, they did I recollect ask, but that was a long time ago.

I would start with his Doctor, see of anything he has been prescribed could have that effect. BTW the Medical does not pass or fail you, that is down to the Consulate, but I would want to have an explanation for the results.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Got to love Internet forums; answers ranging from "your husband is lying to you" through "never knew they drug tested people" to many suggestions of why he could have failed a drugs test. The latter being what you were looking for.

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you but I do hope you guys get through it. 

Good luck!

Our Journey

Nov 17th 2003: Met in New Orleans 

Nov 30th 2004: Married in Belize

May 1st 2006: Moved from Louisiana to Scotland

Nov 3rd 2006: Jessica was born

Jan 18th 2011: Ellie was born

Feb 28th 2011: Moved to Mumbai, India

Jan 16th 2014: Moved back to the US

AOS - 2016
May 23rd: I-130, AOS, EAD and AP received
June 1st: Checks cashed
June 6th: Hard copy receipts received for I-130, AOS and EAD. AP receipt not received (however lawyer sent me copies of his receipts which included the AP)
June 6th: Receipt numbers work on USCIS.
June 11th: Biometrics notification
June 13th: Biometrics (walk in)

Aug 13th: Text notification for EAD. Card being produced

Aug 15th: Text notification for EAD & AP. Case approved

Aug 18th: Text notification for EAD. Card has been mailed

Aug 20th: EAD/AP Combo card delivered

April 16th: Applied for EAD/AP renewal

April 25th: EAD/AP case received

May 16th: Text notification received for AOS case status update: interview is scheduled

June 06th: Redo medical

June 20th: Interview date. Evening email: "We ordered your new card"

June 21st: Email received "Case was approved"

June 23rd: Email received "Card was mailed to me"

June 27th: 10 year Green Card delivered 

March 22nd 2020: N-400 window opens

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline

There's a question on medical form asking if persons a drug user and from what I know doctors will never ask this, they will drug test you instead and check the correct answer. It's Part 7 line 3 of I-693

Edited by Bzlibem

I have to agree with @Boiler when I went for my medical in Knightsbridge, I was not tested for drugs, unless since 2014 they have changed the medical requirements?  The only time you would be tested back THEN is if you had a history of drugs or such.  Not saying your fiance has, might be otc remedies and the medical  requirements might have changed in the last 3 years. I guess you will have to contest this decision/false conclusion, perhaps talk to your doctor/his doctor regarding this and ask them to send a letter regarding it.

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

20 hours ago, USUK said:

So my husband has failed his medical. He has come out positive for amphetamines. The problem is he is not a drug user at all! He has had a career in law enforcement for 20 years and we are absolutely shocked at the results. We have racked our brains trying to figure out what he has taken that could have effect his results. He had a cold / flu 2 weeks before medical. He was taking ibprophen, paracetomal,  vicks nasel spray and a throat spray. Has anyone ever been through this? What has  your outcome been?  We are currenrly waiting in agoney as they are doing further testing.

This might help you and what may happen next, seems though that drug testing is still not yet routine.  Perhaps your fiance mentioned the over counter medicines and that is why they tested him?  And yes it could be them, many stories of over counter drugs that come back with false positive results with people who participate within the sports.  

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

I dont know if drug testing  is standard but there was one question on the form that stated

" have you EVER taken drugs" and of course my husband responded yes, as he did try marijuana as a teen. He explained that to them at the medical, so i dont know if this prompted them to have to do a drug test or whether they were going to do one anyway. 😕 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, USUK said:

I dont know if drug testing  is standard but there was one question on the form that stated

" have you EVER taken drugs" and of course my husband responded yes, as he did try marijuana as a teen. He explained that to them at the medical, so i dont know if this prompted them to have to do a drug test or whether they were going to do one anyway. 😕 

That would have done it. Explains why they tested.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.