Norah-93

Is my Swiss education equivalent to the US one for DVLottery ?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Hope you all doing good.

I have applied for the green card through the DV Lottery and now I'm reading about education qualification. Basically here's what it says:

"High School Education: A high school education means successful completion of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of a 12-year course in the United States.

Work Experience: If you are qualifying with work experience, you must have two years of experience in the last five years, in an occupation which, by U.S. Department of Labor definitions, requires at least two years of training or experience that is designated as Job Zone 4 or 5, classified in a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) rating of 7.0 or higher. "

So now my question is, as I'm from Switzerland and we only have 9 years (6 in primary and 3 in secondary both with diploma at the end) I was wondering if this was the equivalent of the 12 years in the US. After that I did two apprenticeships (the Swiss dual system is a dual based joint effort of training companies and vocational trade schools in Switzerland. Basically, the apprentice is employed in training company and once or twice per week she/he goes to a vocational school) one in retail management that was 3 years and graduated with a Swiss Federal Certificate and the second one in photography 3 years also graduated with a Swiss Federal Certificate and with honours. 

Is all my degrees and school education enough or equivalent to the US one? 

Sorry for that long message

Thank you in advance for your help !

Cheers !

The quick way to work it out is: did your high school education qualify you to go to university? If so, it's equivalent. If not, or if it only enabled you to go to vocational school, which is what it sounds like, then it's not. In the latter instance, you may still be able to qualify under the work experience rule if you have the correct level and years of experience. 

Timeline

I actually just found this. 

"Holders of the Eidgenössisches Fähigkeitszeugnis/certificat de capacite/attestato di capacita will be considered for admission to first degree programs except at select universities and where the educational training received is considered appropriate preparation." 

Which is what I have. I'm really confused and pretty nervous at the moment

You say you "applied for the GC through the DV lottery". I can't tell whether you've been selected in the lottery? If not, you may be giving yourself false hope since the chances you are selected are very slim (just in general).

If so, I think you can probably enter a community college here in the US for an associate's degree, after which you may continue to university, but probably not an academic university. I don't know whether that is equivalent.

Timeline

I apply for it and I know about the "huge" hope but hey, I like to be positive and at least im trying. I'll know in may if I'm selected but I just want to be prepared if I'm a lucky one that's it. 

I don't want to go to university there I was just wondering if my 15years of education in Switzerland is the same level of the 12 (high school) years in the US.

It's not about wanting to go to college - that is how they judge if it's equivalent. Anyway, IF you get selected contact the embassy in Bern to check if you're eligible before proceeding.

Timeline

If the official US embassy website says I can enter in certain university with my Swiss VET degrees I guess it should be considered as graduated ? 

I also found that this:

"Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further academic study will not be considered equivalent to U.S. high school education."

what do they mean by "not considered a basis for further academic study" ? Would Photography be considered as a basis ?

im sorry to bother all of you with my questions 

Photography would be viewed as vocational.

Again, I'd suggest you contact the embassy directly to ask them, if you win. From most of what you said above I'm not sure you'd qualify.

Edited by SusieQQQ

4 hours ago, Norah-93 said:

Well good thing I have on in retail I guess... I've contacted the embassy just waiting for their answer now 

I wouldn't think that counts as academic either. But the fact that you did vocational doesn't necessarily mean that your high school limited you to that, so that's what you need to find out from them. And then you still need to get selected of course.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 03/02/2017 at 5:03 PM, Norah-93 said:

I actually just found this. 

"Holders of the Eidgenössisches Fähigkeitszeugnis/certificat de capacite/attestato di capacita will be considered for admission to first degree programs except at select universities and where the educational training received is considered appropriate preparation." 

Which is what I have. I'm really confused and pretty nervous at the moment

Apply because http://www.indianeagle.com/travelbeats/raise-act-to-curb-green-cards-and-legal-immigration-in-usa/ will mean the lottery will be finished. Use your languages as a skill - tourism - gastro - photographic tours supporting US business with foreign rich clients - English, German ...French and Swiss speaking .... Average American can just speak English and Spanish and Americans love "Swiss quality" ..... move quickly do not take a long time deciding like a true Swiss person.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.