Stelare

Married on K1 - Starting AoS process questions

9 posts in this topic

So I just looked over the remainder of the K1 flowchart with the AoS details. My SO and I got married a week ago, and I just received my SSN in the mail today.

We plan to go and change my name on my SSN to my married name during the week, as we need to receive some marriage documents.

I have a few questions...

- I used my maiden name signature on my marriage license, as per what I read online. Do I start signing the AoS documents with my 'new signature'? (My old signature had my maiden name). Obviously because we only got married recently and I have no ID with my new married name, I don't have any documentation with what my new signature would be.

- How soon should we start the application process for the AoS? I know I should have a joint bank account set up with my husband and stuff, and we can't do that until i get my SSN adjusted.

- How long should we expect the process to take until the interview + receiving the green card?

- Will I receive the EAD and travel document BEFORE the green card, or with the green card? Is it possible to get ahold of the travel document sooner?

- Is there anything I need to do in regards to name change? Or is just my marriage license/certificate enough?

K1 and AOS/EAD/AP

Spoiler

K1

19th July 2016 -- K1 Petition sent to TX Lockbox

27th July 2016 -- NOA1 Received

7th September 2016 -- NOA2 Received

27th September 2016 -- Sydney Consulate Received

6th October 2016 -- Packet 4 Received

29th November 2016 -- Interview Date

29th November 2016 -- Approved at interview

5th December 2016 -- Visa Package Received

16th December 2016 -- Entered US on K1 (PoE San Francisco)

23rd December 2016 -- Married!

AOS/EAD/AP

8th March 2017 -- Filed AoS, EAD, AP

18th March 2017 -- NOA1 for AoS, EAD, AP

1st August 2017 - Email notification that GC has been mailed
18th August 2017 - Mailed GC back after name error (Maiden name instead of married name), USCIS error, filed with I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card

GC Replacement

Spoiler

18th August 2017 - Mailed GC back after name error (Maiden name instead of married name), USCIS error, filed with I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
3rd August 2018 - I-90 Form Approved.

7th August 2018 - Replacement card produced.

Replacement card sent to wrong address!
12th October 2018 - Replacement card received!

RoC

6th May 2019 - Mailed off I-751 RoC

14th May 2019 - Text notification case received

17th May 2019 - 18 month extension letter received
2nd December 2019 - Biometrics Appt
1st October 2020 - Case transferred to NBC
5th March 2021 - Case updated to notify that interview has been scheduled

N-400

30th September 2020 - Application filed online
30th September 2020 - Notice of received application (notice date)

39 minutes ago, Stelare said:

So I just looked over the remainder of the K1 flowchart with the AoS details. My SO and I got married a week ago, and I just received my SSN in the mail today.

We plan to go and change my name on my SSN to my married name during the week, as we need to receive some marriage documents.

- I used my maiden name signature on my marriage license, as per what I read online. Do I start signing the AoS documents with my 'new signature'? (My old signature had my maiden name). Obviously because we only got married recently and I have no ID with my new married name, I don't have any documentation with what my new signature would be.

- How soon should we start the application process for the AoS? I know I should have a joint bank account set up with my husband and stuff, and we can't do that until i get my SSN adjusted.

- How long should we expect the process to take until the interview + receiving the green card?

- Will I receive the EAD and travel document BEFORE the green card, or with the green card? Is it possible to get ahold of the travel document sooner?

- Is there anything I need to do in regards to name change? Or is just my marriage license/certificate enough?

Congrats!

1. I'll defer to others here, but normally you would use the name on your passport. If you had used your married name on the marriage license, then I would have said to use your married name moving forward as that document serves as a legal name change document in the US. Since you used your maiden name, legally your name hasn't changed yet (at least AFAIK).
  2. Normally, I would say as soon as you're ready to do so. However, I would work on ensuring your legal name is changed first as I don't think they can't issue the green card under that name otherwise. Once it is changed (i.e. you get a new SSN card), then you owuld list your married name on the forms and include your maiden name under other names on the application.
  3. It varies based on various factor, but the current average from filing to interview is 226 days. Then add on some time to actually get the card (within a month or less usually). Of course it can take longer if you get RFEs or need a second interview of something, but that's the current average length as predicted by VJ.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/aosstats.php

4. EAD usually takes about 90 days for approval. You will get the EAD once it is approved and mailed (you don't need to wait for AOS to be completed).

5. I'll again defer to others, but I believe if you get your name changed on your Social Security Card, that qualifies as a legal name change. The marriage certificate should be enough proof.

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Stelare said:

I am not sure if this will apply to you, but my wife was not able to change her SSN to her married name until after she received her green card. Also, I could not add her to my bank account until after she received the green card. As soon as we were married and received the marriage certificate, she started signing everything with her married name. The marriage cert was good enough proof for that.  I-485, Biometrics was signed with her married name. 

K1 VISA

I-129F Sent:                2015-12-15
I-129F NOA1:              2015-12-24
I-129F NOA2:              2016-02-05

NVC Received:            2016-02-19
Case # Assigned:        2016-02-19
NVC Left:                    2016-02-22
Consulate Received:   2016-02-24
Packet 3 Received:     2016-03-03

Interview Date:            2016-03-29
Interview Result:         Approved

Visa Received:           2016-04-06
US Entry:                   2016-04-09
Marriage:                   2016-05-17

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed:               2016-06-16
NOA Date:               2016-06-20
RFE:                        2016-07-30  
   2 RFE's on this date. I did not fill out i-865 household size properly.
    I also needed to send them my IRS Tax Transcripts for proof of meeting
    minimum income requirement.

Biometrics:              2016-08-19
RFE:                       2016-10-06

2 more FRE's on this date. We received the dreaded medical, go straight to
    the civil surgeon :(  Total cost of $366
    And the other one was for proof of continuing relationship. We sent in
    some pictures and our Ultrasound pictures :D

Approval/Denial Date:  2016-11-26
Approved:                   YES

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** Moving from K1 to AOS from Family Visa forum as this is the part of the process Op is asking about ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

9 hours ago, geowrian said:

Congrats!

1. I'll defer to others here, but normally you would use the name on your passport. If you had used your married name on the marriage license, then I would have said to use your married name moving forward as that document serves as a legal name change document in the US. Since you used your maiden name, legally your name hasn't changed yet (at least AFAIK).
  2. Normally, I would say as soon as you're ready to do so. However, I would work on ensuring your legal name is changed first as I don't think they can't issue the green card under that name otherwise. Once it is changed (i.e. you get a new SSN card), then you owuld list your married name on the forms and include your maiden name under other names on the application.
  3. It varies based on various factor, but the current average from filing to interview is 226 days. Then add on some time to actually get the card (within a month or less usually). Of course it can take longer if you get RFEs or need a second interview of something, but that's the current average length as predicted by VJ.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/aosstats.php

4. EAD usually takes about 90 days for approval. You will get the EAD once it is approved and mailed (you don't need to wait for AOS to be completed).

5. I'll again defer to others, but I believe if you get your name changed on your Social Security Card, that qualifies as a legal name change. The marriage certificate should be enough proof.

Good luck.

I was actually asking about signature; When we went to register for our marriage license, we filled out a 'worksheet' that had us put down our legal names, and then there was a section for "legal name taken after this marriage", which I then wrote down my married name. I signed the documents with my maiden name signature, as I looked around online beforehand and that was what was suggested by everyone, as technically, the name change isn't official until after we got married. And we got married 3 days after we registered for the license.

My question was, when do I start signing with my married name signature? And is the marriage license the only official document I need to show for my name change?

Edited by Stelare

K1 and AOS/EAD/AP

Spoiler

K1

19th July 2016 -- K1 Petition sent to TX Lockbox

27th July 2016 -- NOA1 Received

7th September 2016 -- NOA2 Received

27th September 2016 -- Sydney Consulate Received

6th October 2016 -- Packet 4 Received

29th November 2016 -- Interview Date

29th November 2016 -- Approved at interview

5th December 2016 -- Visa Package Received

16th December 2016 -- Entered US on K1 (PoE San Francisco)

23rd December 2016 -- Married!

AOS/EAD/AP

8th March 2017 -- Filed AoS, EAD, AP

18th March 2017 -- NOA1 for AoS, EAD, AP

1st August 2017 - Email notification that GC has been mailed

GC Replacement

Spoiler

3rd August 2018 - I-90 Form Approved.

7th August 2018 - Replacement card produced.

Replacement card sent to wrong address!
12th October 2018 - Replacement card received!

RoC

6th May 2019 - Mailed off I-751 RoC

14th May 2019 - Text notification case received

17th May 2019 - 18 month extension letter received
2nd December 2019 - Biometrics Appt
1st October 2020 - Case transferred to NBC

N-400

30th September 2020 - Application filed online
30th September 2020 - Notice of received application (notice date)

13 hours ago, Stelare said:

1. You can start signing with your new married name as soon as you're married. I pretty much am using my old signature since a signature just needs to be something that is regularly used by you to sign legal documents. It can be a doodle pretty much and still legal.

2. This depends on the bank but there is nothing that says that you need your SSN adjusted before opening an account. I even opened mine before having a SSN using my passport.  If you want it opened in your new name you just bring the marriage certificate. It's all you need, along with two identifying documents.  I had my overseas DL's as 2nd doc.

3. I think you got a good answer above? And yea you might not even get called for interview :)

4. See answer above.... and you can get it emergency expedited if you you have specific circumstancesthat require you to travel such as a sick family member or similar.

5. Nope, it's enough :)

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Stelare said:

I was actually asking about signature; When we went to register for our marriage license, we filled out a 'worksheet' that had us put down our legal names, and then there was a section for "legal name taken after this marriage", which I then wrote down my married name. I signed the documents with my maiden name signature, as I looked around online beforehand and that was what was suggested by everyone, as technically, the name change isn't official until after we got married. And we got married 3 days after we registered for the license.

My question was, when do I start signing with my married name signature? And is the marriage license the only official document I need to show for my name change?

Ah, okay. :) I thought you meant you filled in your maiden name as your new legal name on the license. What you signed the paper as doesn't really have an relevance with immigration. haha In that case, then your legal name will be changed as of the marriage certificate, which acts as a legal name change document in the US.

As somebody else noted, you can technically start signing under the married name at any point. However, your legal name hasn't actually changed until the marriage certificate is processed.

No. The marriage certificate (not the license, which is signed before the wedding) is the document proving your name change. That should be the only document you need to update your Social Security card, driver's license, credit cards, etc.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Ah, okay. :) I thought you meant you filled in your maiden name as your new legal name on the license. What you signed the paper as doesn't really have an relevance with immigration. haha In that case, then your legal name will be changed as of the marriage certificate, which acts as a legal name change document in the US.

As somebody else noted, you can technically start signing under the married name at any point. However, your legal name hasn't actually changed until the marriage certificate is processed.

No. The marriage certificate (not the license, which is signed before the wedding) is the document proving your name change. That should be the only document you need to update your Social Security card, driver's license, credit cards, etc.

Just a note that in Texas the marriage license IS the certificate only signed by the JOP and processed at the county clerk's office. Same piece of paper

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Just now, Suss&Camm said:

Just a note that in Texas the marriage license IS the certificate only signed by the JOP and processed at the county clerk's office. Same piece of paper

Oh, cool. Thanks for the heads up. I know marriage licenses and certificates vary from state to state, but wasn't aware that it served both purposes in some states.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.