2,895 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
22 hours ago, escape said:

Hello guys,  wondering if anyone has the answer to my concern:

I had file AOS with former partner, then life took a turn... filed Vawa.  Evil partner withdraw AOS.  I refilled AOS, waiting for the receipt (fee waiver).

-- Do I need to take further action in regards to old, withdrawn, AOS?

--Should I call USCIS (or request a FOIA) to find out exactly what was said/done when withdrawn the AOS? Does it matter what the former partner told USCIS?

Thank you all so much!  

You don't have to do antyhing regarding the AOS denied.

1 hour ago, sandranj said:

Jenny the person has to write full address, place and date of birth. The person must tell how he/she met you, when how he/she met your husband, what the person knows about the courtship,If they were invited to the wedding, they should describe the weedding day,if they couldnt go then explain why not, if they visited you after the marriage, what they noticed about he couple interaction after the marriage,if they know about the abuse  they have to describe what they saw and when or what they heard and when etc..They have to sworn and the  affidavit must be notarized. Do not send samples of the affidavits to the affiants,because I am sick and tired to see USCIS saying  that the affidavits seems wrriten by the same person, because  the affidavits have same layout,font etc..

I feel so elated having Sandra respond to my question. I have been reading your replies all week long. May God reward you for your good deeds In Jesus Name. To the other question I have, what is the format for telling my personal story ; do I have to make the abuse sub categories and  explain under each one or just write a long description of everything? Also, how do I end my personal description of the events. God bless you! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jenny1 said:

I feel so elated having Sandra respond to my question. I have been reading your replies all week long. May God reward you for your good deeds In Jesus Name. To the other question I have, what is the format for telling my personal story ; do I have to make the abuse sub categories and  explain under each one or just write a long description of everything? Also, how do I end my personal description of the events. God bless you! 

You should write  first about your life before you met your husband. How was your life in your home country, why you came to the U.S,mention where you worked in your home country. Describe a little bit about your familty.

You must describe the courtship with details.When and how you met him? when you told your family about him, when he told his family about you, what did you use to do when dating?(movies,dinner out,where, trips? etc.) When did you meet his friends. Always mention date and month.Don't  say  generic things such as 'we used to have fun and we travelled a lot'.You should mention when and what places you visited etc. Describe the proposal, mention if  he gave you a ring. When did you tell your parents and friends about the engagement, how did they react?. Describe the wedding with details then describe all abused suffered. If you don't have an attorney and you want me to review your affidavit let me know ok.

I finished reviewing one case last night. The person filed VAWA and it was denied ,he proved abuse but could not prove a bonafide marriage. His affidavit had 2 pages. I was in shock how come his attorney allowed him to submit a such horrible affidavit. After exhanging over 30 emails and answering my questions (maybe around 150 questions) I was able to put his story together and his new vawa affidavit  (11 pages now) looks great. It's very important to describe everything with details.

Edited by sandranj

54 minutes ago, sandranj said:

You should write  first about your life before you met your husband. How was your life in your home country, why you came to the U.S,mention where you worked in your home country. Describe a little bit about your familty.

You must describe the courtship with details.When and how you met him? when you told your family about him, when he told his family about you, what did you use to do when dating?(movies,dinner out,where, trips? etc.) When did you meet his friends. Always mention date and month.Don't  say  generic things such as 'we used to have fun and we travelled a lot'.You should mention when and what places you visited etc. Describe the proposal, mention if  he gave you a ring. When did you tell your parents and friends about the engagement, how did they react?. Describe the wedding with details then describe all abused suffered. If you don't have an attorney and you want me to review your affidavit let me know ok.

I finished reviewing one case last night. The person filed VAWA and it was denied ,he proved abuse but could not prove a bonafide marriage. His affidavit had 2 pages. I was in shock how come his attorney allowed him to submit a such horrible affidavit. After exhanging over 30 emails and answering my questions (maybe around 150 questions) I was able to put his story together and his new vawa affidavit  (11 pages now) looks great. It's very important to describe everything with details.

wow ! That will be greatly appreciated. How do I get your email address so you can help with the review?

Timeline

I will send my email thought  pm.

I am an attorney but I am not going to sign your Vawa,you can sign, I will review and make the necessary corrections. 

Get affidavits from family and friends ,even from your  mom or siblings.  I  want to read before they notarize. Make sure in the  affidavit you mentioned the Courtship  with details ok

Timeline
3 minutes ago, sandranj said:

I will send my email thought  pm.

I am an attorney but I am not going to sign your Vawa,you can sign, I will review and make the necessary corrections. 

Get affidavits from family and friends ,even from your  mom or siblings.  I  want to read before they notarize. Make sure in the  affidavit you mentioned the Courtship  in details ok

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Sandranj,I'm a everyday reader, thank you so much for all the help you do to this forum,you are so kind and God bless you. My question is, I applied for vawa on January 30 2017,I have my ss and my work permit already, I'm still waiting for my vawa approve,I know I'm not supposed to remarry before my approval, my question is how soon I can remarry after my approval, I'm Christian and I meet a good man from church and we both believe not to have intimacy before marriage, thanks for you respond.

34 minutes ago, Sitlaly said:

Hi Sandranj,I'm a everyday reader, thank you so much for all the help you do to this forum,you are so kind and God bless you. My question is, I applied for vawa on January 30 2017,I have my ss and my work permit already, I'm still waiting for my vawa approve,I know I'm not supposed to remarry before my approval, my question is how soon I can remarry after my approval, I'm Christian and I meet a good man from church and we both believe not to have intimacy before marriage, thanks for you respond.

I would wait until your AOS is through and you have your GC in your hands. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, sandranj said:

You didn't ask my opinion but I will give my two cents. Do not get married to someone that you don't know at least  a couple of years. During Courtship people show the "best face". Look I handled over 6.000 Vawa cases and I saw everything that you can imagine. I saw pastors that battered their wives. I saw a bunch of cops and  military personnel that battered their wives. These people suppose to have a good moral character right? but time showed that they were abusers. I am not saying that your boyfriend will be an abuser, but you need time to know someone, and my experience proves that you don't know anything about a person after dating just a few months. I would say 70% of my cases the survivors got married 3/8months  after meeting each other.

THIS. A billion times this. Never making the same mistake again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
2 hours ago, sandranj said:

There is no time specified in the VAWA Law when the person can remarry after VAWA approval. But when someone remarries 6/12 months after the divorce USCIS in VAWA case tends to question the person credibility regarding the bonafide marriage. You might have your credibility questioned by the officer adjudicating your AOS if you remarry this person just a few months after you got divorced . Who adjudicates AOS is the local office, not VSC.

You didn't ask my opinion but I will give my two cents. Do not get married to someone that you don't know at least  a couple of years. During Courtship people show the "best face". Look I handled over 6.000 Vawa cases and I saw everything that you can imagine. I saw pastors that battered their wives. I saw a bunch of cops and  military personnel that battered their wives. These people suppose to have a good moral character right? but time showed that they were abusers. I am not saying that your boyfriend will be an abuser, but you need time to know someone, and my experience proves that you don't know anything about a person after dating just a few months. I would say 70% of my cases the survivors got married 3/8months  after meeting each other.

This is very true, my now ex was an assistant pastor I knew him for 6 months and be was so sweet we got married but what came after 3 months was heartbreaking, am never again doing that mistake not again

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks everyone, I been know him for 5 years now and I was married with my ex abuser husband for 15years.I will take your advice on consideration. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.