9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello everyone.

I have a few notes to add here>

Back ground:

- Norwegian citizen 37 y.

- only been to USA 3 times

- Second time 90 days and wanted to cross to Canada and got denied to Canada which made one day overstay in USA, had to leave out from there instead

- No criminal back ground anywhere

- Jan 09 denied in the airport due to telling I was going to visit the "love of my heart" ( and that one day)

- We were told we had to apply for a K1 for me to get back and we did under the plan to marry. but things went wrong and changed and we couldn't marry in 90 days... he was not doing well, and it was not a healthy situation for my son and me...to be in... I left day 90 very disappointed...

- I am in Canada on working holiday now and applied for a B2 from Vancouver which got denied they said I should try in Norway when back there . I paid lawyers for this job of that visa and they didn't tell me it would be better to apply in Oslo, if they had, I would have done that. The lawyers said it didn't matter whether I applied in Norway or Canada, they were wrong.

my intention was a 2 week vist in June to the States while working in Canada, So I am not going to try that way again and not paying lawyers again ( 2000, plus translations , plus embassy fees)

- I want to take a course that will help my skills for a job with animal protection working as an active person and in the office I found a course that can fit.

Now what kind of student visa would be required. I will not apply now, I will wait year or 2, My Canadian work visa expires in a few months and I will also not apply rom Canada.

What kind of documents are needed for the student visa? It's just a short course. Over 2 years.

My dad has good funds and I would also be able to get a student loan. My son would need a year in

school there.

The fact of not marrying on K1 seem to affect me negatively, though that is the way life can be. Sometimes such changes are not under our control.That's why I left on time and didn't overstay.

Thanks, everyone for sharing your experiences.

Best,

Angel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The first thing is to make sure the school is reputable and will offer a I20 and is a SEVIS school

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

After that, apply and be accepted. Information can be found on the US consulate website for Norway

good luck

PS - it sounds like you are visa shopping. A VWP, B2, K1 and now an F1? Why are you so desperate to go to the U.S.?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A 2 year course would not be considered short. Keep in mind you will not be able to work during your studies, so yes, you will need to show significant savings/ scholarships not only to pay for the course, but also for your living expenses and that of your son.

I agree with the previous poster that, to USCIS, it looks like you are visa shopping- while the K1 may count against you a little bit, it is the cumulative picture of overstay (while trying to re-charge the VWP by going to Canada), then K1, then tourism visa, then F1 that is an issue. Waiting a couple of years, and solidifying your ties back home, will help, but also be prepared to show why you need to do that course in the USA, why there is nothing similar in the EU and how a course in the USA, where the laws and policies on animal welfare are different, will help you back in your home country .

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

Thanks again for reply.

Yes, of course, no big hurry to take this course.

The K1 was done in order to live together and be together, marry, but things changed unexpectedly which it can in life. Very big change for all involved, including families, not under our control. All I guess have ther reasons for not getting married after all... and after all that work and money, it was not an easy decision to take. Unfortunately it seemed to play negative on a B2 visa since it got denied despite not overstaying.

The WVP issue was just due to a Canadian office at the time as I was leaving out of Canada, not to get back to the USA.Bu to visit and not overstay in the USA , due to the issue at the border I did get one day over, but it was in 2008 and a long time ago and just one day.

And nothing wrong in wishing to take this course in the US while spending lots of money ( it's cheaper many places..)

People who choose to study anywhere do that for the school and maybe to have different experience in life :)

Edited by AngelR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thanks again for reply.

Yes, of course, no big hurry to take this course.

The K1 was done in order to live together and be together, marry, but things changed unexpectedly which it can in life. Very big change for all involved, including families, not under our control. All I guess have ther reasons for not getting married after all... and after all that work and money, it was not an easy decision to take. Unfortunately it seemed to play negative on a B2 visa since it got denied despite not overstaying.

The WVP issue was just due to a Canadian office at the time as I was leaving out of Canada, not to get back to the USA.Bu to visit and not overstay in the USA , due to the issue at the border I did get one day over, but it was in 2008 and a long time ago and just one day.

And nothing wrong in wishing to take this course in the US while spending lots of money ( it's cheaper many places..)

People who choose to study anywhere do that for the school and maybe to have different experience in life :)

And how are you going to finance your studies? I know Sweden and Norway are pretty similar and I know that in Sweden you won't get money from the government to study a course you could just as easily study back home. How does that work in Norway? To be able to get a student visa you need to prove not only that you can pay for the tuition but also for living expenses during those two years, either by paying everything by yourself or through a sponsor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

After this I must agree with the people who say you're visa shopping. Seems like you're very desperate to come to the US.

You do realize you'll have to be honest with your visa overstays, the number of times you've visited and the fact that you've had previous denied visas? It won't look good to whoever would be interviewing you at the embassy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.