VOL

Memorial Day Speech by President Ronald Reagan

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

It's pathetic. Especially on a day we are honoring those who fought and died for this country. Politics shouldn't even be mentioned. Today is for the heroes.

Too many people who post here have forgotten that simple fact. :(

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Greatest President in the 50 years

Posibbly ever

~Two off topic posts removed~

~Keep on topic, or do not post~

Thank you. Now go clean up the other 4000 threads after 6 posts

~Two off topic posts removed~

~Keep on topic, or do not post~

Thank you. Now go clean up the other 4000 threads after 6 posts

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As much as it makes libs unhappy, Ronald Reagan was one of the most popular presidents of our time. If you don't like him, you have the right to speak it in today's rapidly changing society that seeks to revoke your right to free speech. That quest won't succeed despite the liberal attempts to make it happen.

I have no issue with Reagan's speech, but I think he is more polarising figure than you might want to admit. Sometimes it's good to open your mind to a wider perspective.

Interesting points about free speech there. I found it interesting how during the Bush years anyone who criticised the administration's foreign policy* was labelled 'unamerican' and 'traitor'.

*which BTW is the reason thousands of service personnel have died in Iraq and Afghanistan - why ISIS has come to power and why the Patriot Act was passed.

I'm curious. Are you implying that Ronald Reagan was simply an insincere actor who had no love for the American way, the American people, and simply uttered words to placate? Seriously?

I am sure he was very sincere about the words he had memorized.

I cannot comment on his patriotism, I never knew the man personally.

All I am saying is that his years of acting allowed him to be a more convincing president. To deliver his lines in a heartfelt way. I find most politicians utter words to placate. It is how they get votes.

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am sure he was very sincere about the words he had memorized.

I cannot comment on his patriotism, I never knew the man.

All I am saying is that his years of acting allowed him to be a more convincing president. To deliver his lines in a heartfelt way. I find most politicians utter words to placate. It is how they get votes.

Agreed. Noone besides him would know what he believed, but without a shadow of a doubt what appears in televised speeches is an act - stage managed for effect.