JimmyHou

Information on Name Change During Naturalization

278 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

With naturalization you can change your complete name to anything you like.   So... yes you can change your name to Jane Santos Smith, no proof of anything is needed.  :thumbs:  

Remember to check the box to indicate you want to change your name.  ;)  

Thanks hank, thanks for replying all my queries every time I need some help. 😊☺️ 

So I don’t need legal proof or court legal change to change my middle name when I apply for n400? Is it automatic that I will have my new name when the time they approve my application? And I hope it doesn’t cause any delay. Thanks again 

Edited by J&E2013

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, J&E2013 said:

Thanks hank, thanks for replying all my queries every time I need some help. 😊☺️ 

So I don’t need legal proof or court legal change to change my middle name when I apply for n400? Is it automatic that I will have my new name when the time they approve my application? Thanks again 

Yes it is  automatic ...  (Part 2, question 4)  check the box YES, complete your name as you would like it in the next boxes ... done.   Your Naturalization certificate will be issued in your new name.  :thumbs:  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yes it is  automatic ...  (Part 2, question 4)  check the box YES, complete your name as you would like it in the next boxes ... done.   Your Naturalization certificate will be issued in your new name.  :thumbs:  

Thank you so much Hank_ for all your help :thumbs::)

I don't know if everyone here has the same situation as me, I got my naturalization certificate thru an administrative ceremony with a change requested. At interview, I was not giving 3 pieces of paper to sign for name change request which was a mistake by USCIS officer. Now I do not have that piece of paper to prove I've changed from my old name to new one, my certificate was issued with my new name. I went back to USCIS to talk to them, they said someone messed up and would contact me to fix it, but I haven't heard back from them since their promised timeline has passed. Am I able to just go to court to request name change? I  have new name on all my legal document already. 

Edited by ladywu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had my interview today and I passed! :D

The downside is that USCIS still had my name as it was in Mexico with two last names. Everything I have in the US from social security number to drivers license to even my current residence card info is just with one name. In fact, I applied with just one last name.

The officer said I needed to apply with the name I came into the country so he changed it to two last names. This is where I got confused and quite frankly I was already nervous of the process so I wasn't thinking clearly.

Now that I left, I realize that when he submitted my information with the old last name, that I will be getting my papers with two last names which I do NOT want. I am supposed to take my oath in Los Angeles, no date yet. What are the chances that I can change the name on the day of the ceremony? Anyone have any suggestions? Trying to get an appointment but everything is booked. Not sure what to do. Any help will be really appreciated.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:42 PM, ladywu said:

I don't know if everyone here has the same situation as me, I got my naturalization certificate thru an administrative ceremony with a change requested. At interview, I was not giving 3 pieces of paper to sign for name change request which was a mistake by USCIS officer. Now I do not have that piece of paper to prove I've changed from my old name to new one, my certificate was issued with my new name. I went back to USCIS to talk to them, they said someone messed up and would contact me to fix it, but I haven't heard back from them since their promised timeline has passed. Am I able to just go to court to request name change? I  have new name on all my legal document already. 

Are you able to get a name change through an administrative ceremony? I thought that if you request a name change they place you in a judicial ceremony so a judge signs the order of a name change?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi everybody! I have a quick question. I live in a neighborhood of Fort Worth. I had my naturalization interview less then a week ago, where I signed that I would like to change my name, I.e. get rid of my middle name that I have from my native country. I passed the interview with a paper “you successfully passed” and “your application is recommended for approval”. The officer said: now wait for your oath letter. Now, after I got home, I finally asked myself: “how long will it take to schedule me for a judicial oath” and started my research that showed that it might take months before I will be scheduled for my oath. Question: was it smart idea to ask for name change with N400? How I can find out that they scheduled my oath?   How long does it usually take to be scheduled for a judicial oath? Overall, I’m worried and see people that are getting naturalized without name change easier and without waiting. 

Thanks. 

Alya

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:35 PM, agny06 said:

Hi all,

I had my interview today and I passed! :D

The downside is that USCIS still had my name as it was in Mexico with two last names. Everything I have in the US from social security number to drivers license to even my current residence card info is just with one name. In fact, I applied with just one last name.

The officer said I needed to apply with the name I came into the country so he changed it to two last names. This is where I got confused and quite frankly I was already nervous of the process so I wasn't thinking clearly.

Now that I left, I realize that when he submitted my information with the old last name, that I will be getting my papers with two last names which I do NOT want. I am supposed to take my oath in Los Angeles, no date yet. What are the chances that I can change the name on the day of the ceremony? Anyone have any suggestions? Trying to get an appointment but everything is booked. Not sure what to do. Any help will be really appreciated.

My wife is in the same situation. After passing the Interview IO told her to drop her Middle/Maiden Name which was her last name before marriage and replaced it with her Middle/Maiden Name when she was single. This is incorrect because when she got married she is suppose to take her last name to become Middle/Maiden name and husband's name to become Surname/Last Name. She was pressured by the IO as she was told she had to make a decision now or re-schedule interview and she has bring a lawyer in which my wife Wife just said fine and go with it.

She just received her Notice of Oath Ceremony couple of days ago scheduled 6/13 with the incorrect name and now we are scrambling to set up an InfoPass appointment to make the case to get this corrected before the Oath Ceremony.

So far that is unsuccessful.. Keep on getting error on infopass in some case error saying she already has an appointment. We don't have confirmation or Pin.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have few questions! please help me.

1) I have requested for a name change on my N400 application. How often does Detroit administer judicial ceremony? Can anybody explain the name change process for Detroit state / any experiences? Did it delay the oath ceremony? 

2) I have requested a name change on my application, I requested new first name and kept my last name. Now I want to change my last name. Is there any chance I can change my last name in interview? does this delay the process? 

Thanks

On 7/17/2018 at 4:15 PM, SaiVi said:

Hi,

I have few questions! please help me.

1) I have requested for a name change on my N400 application. How often does Detroit administer judicial ceremony? Can anybody explain the name change process for Detroit state / any experiences? Did it delay the oath ceremony? 

2) I have requested a name change on my application, I requested new first name and kept my last name. Now I want to change my last name. Is there any chance I can change my last name in interview? does this delay the process? 

Thanks

No clue on 2.  I guess it may be possible.

On 1) per my interviewing office, virtually all Detroit area oaths are judicial anyway, so requesting a name change does not delay anything.  Now, if you're not from Detroit metro or nearby, your oath may happen elsewhere, so no clue about those.

On 7/20/2018 at 4:51 PM, gpntb said:

No clue on 2.  I guess it may be possible.

On 1) per my interviewing office, virtually all Detroit area oaths are judicial anyway, so requesting a name change does not delay anything.  Now, if you're not from Detroit metro or nearby, your oath may happen elsewhere, so no clue about those.

Thank you @gpntb 

• 2 months later...

I successfully had my name changed during my citizenship interview. Didn’t really delay my oath ceremony.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.