CharlieTanger

Honeymoon (out of US)

47 posts in this topic

How do you know they won't have the Driver License yet?

Very possible to be able to get a DL with initial entry using I-94, It is in my state

Most states require EAD so while possible to get a short term license, most often not. You are the first person from TX that has said you actually got a license using the 90 day I-94. I have read many that were turned away until the EAD was received showing a year's legal presence in the US.

So did her first license obtained with the I-94 expire on the 90th day after POE?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Let me be clarified: so travel to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands IS ALLOWED when my spouse is on Adjustment of Status? Just want to make sure I'm reading that correctly... As it states travelers "from" US Territories. But my spouse would still be considered a non-resident until green card. I assume.

It is allowed for US Citizens and LPR. If her AOS is still pending, then she is neither. That is why she needs an ead/ap combo card. Correct, she is a non-resident until she gets her GC.

Entry requirements for non-U.S. citizens are the same as for entering the United States from any foreign destination. Upon departure, a passport is required for all but U.S. citizens.

Well we had Bahamas on our honeymoon-wishlist and it's kinda right off the coast since we would be living in Florida but we scraped it off the list after we figured all the name change, Advance parole, waiting for advance parole and travel document hassles. So yea like the others I'd suggest that you go for an in-country honeymoon too and go abroad after your fiance has her green card. But even then she can't leave States for more than 6 months at a time, that way she would abandon her green card.

I'm agreeing with the "in country" deal. It'll create a hassle-free trip haha. But what about the name change when it comes to flight tickets and hotel bookings? And what documents are necessary for us to bring when we travel by air in country?

Edited by CharlieTanger

So basically we should try and book a "in-country" honeymoon just to be on the safe side! And then once the green card is issued my spouse can then travel freely, correct?

When you apply for AOS, you can apply for work authorization (EAD) and travel (AP) at the same time with the latter two having their application fees waived because of filing in conjunction with AOS. Three applications for the price one. The EAD and AP could be approved much sooner than AOS. You can travel with the AP without waiting on the green card.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

When you apply for AOS, you can apply for work authorization (EAD) and travel (AP) at the same time with the latter two having their application fees waived because of filing in conjunction with AOS. Three applications for the price one. The EAD and AP could be approved much sooner than AOS. You can travel with the AP without waiting on the green card.

Great info, thanks! Once you apply for AOS, how do you have the EAD/AP waived?

Just apply for EAD/AP together with the AOS. It's automatically waived if you apply for them all together.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I'm agreeing with the "in country" deal. It'll create a hassle-free trip haha. But what about the name change when it comes to flight tickets and hotel bookings? And what documents are necessary for us to bring when we travel by air in country?

May be do the name change after your honeymoon so you can buy the tickets and book hotel on your fiance's original name. Gosh I'm gonna be in a similar situation after I marry my fiance cause I'm changing my name too but I never thought about this entire name changing part so much! I don't obviously know much about this since I'm not there yet but I'm sure you require your marriage certificate to do that, no? Anybody who has been-there-done-that, please give some information on this topic (I'm gonna need it too when I cross that bridge lol)
But then if one doesn't change their name before applying for AOS then the AOS forms and probably the green card too would carry the original name of the applicant right? So we're stuck at home I guess, with only getting to go to places reachable by car which doesn't sound too good.
Also then my country doesn't allow dual citizenship so once I am a US citizen I going to have to abandon my Indian passport and I'll no longer be an Indian citizen. So when can I actually apply for a US passport? Would it e after I get the green card or after I become a citizen in 10 years? And until then do I travel on my Indian passport?
Edited by sailorgal

March 24, 2015: K1 petition mailed to Lewisville, TX via UPS

March 27, 2015: UPS tracking shows USCIS has received the petition

March 31, 2015: NOA1 notification received in email and text with USCIS receipt number (7 days after submitting the petition)

April 24, 2015: Case approved by USCIS (24 days after receiving NOA1)

May 1, 2015: NOA2 received in mail

May 14, 2015: Case getting processed at NVC

May 19, 2015: NVC processing done

May 24, 2015: Letter from NVC received (31 days after receiving NOA2) (case forwarded to consulate, interview location allotted)

May 25, 2015: I receive Packet 3 from United States Consulate General, Mumbai

May 28, 2015: Filled DS-160 form online, confirmation received and printed

June 1, 2015: Visa fees paid. Consular interview and OFC scheduled for 10 July, 2015

June 15, 2015: Medical examination

July 10, 2015: Visa interview at Mumbai Consulate. Visa approved!!

July 11, 13, 15, 2015: Case status on caec changed to 'Ready' on each mentioned date and case creation dates updated on each mentioned date
July 16, 2015: Case creation date updated, case status changed to 'Administrative Processing'
July 17, 2015: Case status updated to 'Issued' passport dispatched through BlueDart, DHL

July 20, 2015: Received passport with my visa on it and a sealed yellow envelope

September 2, 2015: POE Orlando, Florida

September 17, 2015: Courthouse marriage. We're married!

October 8, 2015: AOS, EAD and AP application submitted via UPS

October 19, 2015: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP received in mail

October 24, 2015: Civil marriage with families present. We're married, again!

October 27, 2015: Biometric notice received in mail

November 2, 2015: Biometrics done (walk-in at Orlando center) and RFE received in email for GC appliaction

January 7, 2016: EAD, AP approved (91 days after submitting the AOS application)

March 11, 2016: GC approved

May 6, 2020: Filed N400 online

May 7, 2020: Online receipt confirming USCIS received my case for N400 online (hard copy received in mail)

August 7, 2020: Online notification of biometrics reuse (hard copy received in mail)

August 14, 2020: Online notification for interview appointment (hard copy received in mail)

September 23, 2020: Naturalization interview, case approved, took oath, and just like that I am now a citizen of the United States!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Working & Traveling During US Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Put three applications in the same envelope, but only pay the fee for AOS ($1070).

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

You do need your marriage certificate to change your name. Usually it takes a few days- a few weeks to get this back. It's definitely easier to wait until after the honeymoon to change your name on everything. It will cause less headache. The name on the ticket and the name on your DL must match for travel. You can search around to see if a driver's license in your married name with your marriage certificate showing your maiden would appease the TSA if you book a ticket in your maiden name.

I'd personally (and did) just do the honeymoon with everything as it was and then change it. If the person changing their last name is the one immigrating, they can use their passport for domesetic travel and don't have to worry about the license (since they likely can't have one yet anyway).

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

I would book her flight with the name in her passport, as it's still an official document. The country of the passport won't matter to the ticket agent or TSA as they are not Customs Agents. It is used only as a form of identification, not authorization for domestic travel.

To travel by air within the US, each traveller needs photo ID that matches the ticket name. For the USC, that can be a drivers license. For a foreign person, a passport if they haven't gotten a US license yet. Domestic flights do not pass through an immigration hall. The passport is not required to get in the country. He's already in. The airline counter needs it for photo ID. It is not shown to anybody upon arrival at the destination. Simply an airline counter need to allow you to get on the plane. It is way easier if the ticket and photo ID match.

Name change is not one magic moment like some think. When you marry you can start introducing yourself as Mary Smith instead of Mary Jones that day. You can change your name on Facebook. You can register at a hotel as Mark and Mary Jones because they don't require photo ID. For a while you won't have every document changed to a new name. It evolves as you get around to it. Change at the bank. Change the driver license. Change on your utility bills and with HR at work. Order new name label stickers. Change your loyalty cards. Get a new passport. It takes time to change your name here and there. There is not one magic moment that every pace is going to have you new name.

For places that require documented proof of a name change, you show the marriage certificate.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The OP's spouse won't have that green card status or a US driver license yet.

And even with a driver'c license she would still need a green card right? Because I have a US driver's license and I think I still would not be allowed to leave.

And even with a driver'c license she would still need a green card right? Because I have a US driver's license and I think I still would not be allowed to leave.

A driver's license does not allow you to leave the country and re-enter legally. Would need AP or Green card.

But a driver's license should allow you to go to the US territories (Puerto Rico for example). I know other K-1 VJ users have successfully traveled to Puerto Rico (it always made me nervous, though!).

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.