loveceline

TB Sputum culture for 2 months

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am petitioning my mom from the Philippines, everything went smooth until she had her medical at St. Lukes Medical Center.

She did her x-ray and they found out that she has some blurred on her chest and because of that she did some further test which is the Sputum Test.

She went to St Lukes for 3 days to do the sputum test and thank God the result was negative. Just when I thought that everything was ok, they told her she needs to wait for 2 more months because of the sputum culture test. They will check to see if any bacteria will grow on her saliva.

So my biggest question, IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A POSITIVE SPUTUM CULTURE EVEN IF ALL HER SPUTUM SMEAR WERE NEGATIVE???

Has anyone experienced this situation and what were the results. Any response will gladly be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Off Topic forum to the Philippines regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The sputum culture test really takes 2 months to be completed.

It is a generally a good sign that results are negative when you have completed the 2 months.

But if SLEC will call your mom earlier (before the 2 month period finishes), most likely that sputum result is positive.

So pray that she completes the 2 month waiting period. Good luck.

Hello everyone!

I am petitioning my mom from the Philippines, everything went smooth until she had her medical at St. Lukes Medical Center.

She did her x-ray and they found out that she has some blurred on her chest and because of that she did some further test which is the Sputum Test.

She went to St Lukes for 3 days to do the sputum test and thank God the result was negative. Just when I thought that everything was ok, they told her she needs to wait for 2 more months because of the sputum culture test. They will check to see if any bacteria will grow on her saliva.

So my biggest question, IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A POSITIVE SPUTUM CULTURE EVEN IF ALL HER SPUTUM SMEAR WERE NEGATIVE???

Has anyone experienced this situation and what were the results. Any response will gladly be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The results were not negative. They just are not positive yet. They have to wait for the culture to grow - 2 monhts - before making that determination that she doesn't have TB.

barata-gif-3.gif

The sputum culture test really takes 2 months to be completed.

It is a generally a good sign that results are negative when you have completed the 2 months.

But if SLEC will call your mom earlier (before the 2 month period finishes), most likely that sputum result is positive.

So pray that she completes the 2 month waiting period. Good luck.

Thank You for your quick response:) I really appreciate it!

The results were not negative. They just are not positive yet. They have to wait for the culture to grow - 2 monhts - before making that determination that she doesn't have TB.

I see. Good to know. Thank you:)

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I'm not familiar with St. Luke's protocol, but It is possible to have a positive culture with a negative smear. The culture is much more sensitive than the smear. The data varies, but around 15-25% of people with positive cultures and clinical symptoms have negative smears. TB is also a slow growing bacteria, which is why they hold the cultures for several weeks.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

I'm not familiar with St. Luke's protocol, but It is possible to have a positive culture with a negative smear. The culture is much more sensitive than the smear. The data varies, but around 15-25% of people with positive cultures and clinical symptoms have negative smears. TB is also a slow growing bacteria, which is why they hold the cultures for several weeks.

Yes, it is possible. I had been on sputum culture at St. Luke's. My 3 smears were all negative and i have known couple people from the clinic that has negative smears but their culture turned out positive.

I-130 Submitted ---- 09/16/2011

NOA 1 ---- 09/21/2011

I-130 Approved ------ 04/30/2013

NVC Case Number -- 05/14/2013

Medical Exam ------ 05/28/2013

Case Complete ------- 08/06/2013

Interview -------- 09/09/2013

Visa Arrived ---------- 10/17/2013

POE SFO ------------- 10/21/2013

Delays maybe inevitable, but misery is optional!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Is there any info as to individuals who got positive on the two months culture? I just would like to know when did st.lukes called? After how many days did they called to tell that you are positive? My fiancee is currently waiting for the result of her culture. She's on her 5th week of waiting.. still praying to have a negative result. Can anyone give me some info? Thanks a lot.

• 4 years later...
Filed: E-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi st lukes called me before the release of my culture and sensitivity. They said that they need to re schedule the release of my exam. There was a growth of bacteria but they assured me that it is not myvobacterium and they still need to culture it for another week. What does that mean i am so worried

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, cathniss said:

Hi st lukes called me before the release of my culture and sensitivity. They said that they need to re schedule the release of my exam. There was a growth of bacteria but they assured me that it is not myvobacterium and they still need to culture it for another week. What does that mean i am so worried

Means just what they said - wait another week, no results as to TB culture at this time.    No reason to worry.    

If your culture were positive for TB they would have scheduled you to return to St. Luke's to start treatment.  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: E-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Means just what they said - wait another week, no results as to TB culture at this time.    No reason to worry.    

If your culture were positive for TB they would have scheduled you to return to St. Luke's to start treatment.  

I was worried about the growth that she told me. What could it be?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, cathniss said:

I was worried about the growth that she told me. What could it be?

You may never know ...  something as simple as a petri dish that was not properly sterile to start.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.