Jonny Vorn

Traditional Wedding

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes they have, as with Christian marriages in America and Europe, but these traditional marriages are legal marriages and are still registered by the government of that country. In this case it would not be considered a real marriage outside of their family context because it is just an informal exchange of words. USCIS are only concerned with whether it is a legal marriage that is registered, and hence validated and recognised by their state. As long as they don't mention this 'marriage' at the interview or on the forms there is no way of the US authorities knowing about it or even caring less. This does not abuse the terms laid out by USCIS for a K1 visa. It is all about about using the words husband and wife with the authorities.

If the 'US authorities' wouldn't be concerned then what would be the problem with mentioning at the interview?

If it's something they wouldn't want to mention in an interview why would they do it?

Also in Cambodia a wedding ceremony is more that an 'informal exchange of words' it an important social event that lasts typically a day and half to three days.

Consular officers are trained in the local and social norms of the country they are posted to and if having a wedding ceremony means you are married then they can and do deny fiance visas; civil registration or not.

I personally wouldn't take the chance nor would I tell some that it would be ok.

Traditional or not; registered or not; make believe or not: or for whatever reason/purpose you run the risk of getting your petitioned denied or disapproved. The whole point of K-1 petition is for you to be able to enter the U.S. (unmarried) then get married within 90 days prior to the K-1 visa expiration. So many of these get denied, because come final interview with the American Consul - either through carelessness of having pictures or slip of the tongue when asked when were you married - it shows up. My advice don't do it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It's any LEGAL and registered marriage before arrival to the US invalidates the petition. The US authorities only recognise marriage as being administered by those which hold legal power to do so and which will be registered by the state. The traditional wedding in this case is equivilant to actors in a movie carrying out a marriage scene in the movie, it's words but lacking a legal basis. All the US authorities need to know is that they are not registered anywhere as married. The only person they would be better not to call each other husband and wife in the presence of the US authorities is that it will only confuse them and they might have trouble understanding that the world 'marriage' has two completely different meanings in this case.

Tell that to the Nigerian couples here denied a K1 when AP uncovers a traditional marriage. Nigerian marriage code specifically states a valid marriage is only a church or a court wedding. They deny because they know the people consider it a bonafide union even if the government doesn't. And the denials stick. Any culture that has traditional wedding had best leave them until after the US wedding or use the CR1 route. It would be a shame to have your AOS denied because you violated the terms of the K1 by thinking you are smarter than the government.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Thank you everyone for the discussion. I rather be safe than sorry to hold off the original wedding until my fiancee get to the US and return to Cambodia once obtain AP to complete the family tradition. Once again, thank you very much for the help everybody.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone for the answers. I totally agree and should not make any problems or interruption until arrive to the U.S. However, Wedding is really important for Cambodian people. I do believe they do need to register the marriage to legal the marriage. But i'm not entirely sure.

OP, remember this and steady yourself for any pressure from the family.

Now, remember the embassy that you're coming out of it's not Ireland, UK or Australia where the beneficiary only needs to have a pulse to get an approval.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Thank you everyone for the discussion. I rather be safe than sorry to hold off the original wedding until my fiancee get to the US and return to Cambodia once obtain AP to complete the family tradition. Once again, thank you very much for the help everybody.

I think that is a wise and prudent decision... You have a lifetime together, and this process is difficult, do not add more roadblocks or stress... Have a good and speedy journey

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Timeline

Yes the key difference is what is called a Civil Marriage in USA and there is an equivalent in many other countries and then the "traditional" or say a religious marriage. the civil marriage is the one that is registered with the government. I was married (I-130 14 months process time) in Catholic wedding in Colombia, South America, but that was also registered as a civil marriage and it was the civil marriage that was recognized by the USA Immigration.

Now, after a divorce and annulment long story hehehe), I am in process for an I-129F fiancée visa. Our intent is to have my Filipina fiancée come to California and we will have civil marriage here in USA, then return to Philippines for a formal Church Catholic wedding for her family to see. It takes care of all the requirements Immigration and family/cultural.

I wish everyone good luck in life.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes the key difference is what is called a Civil Marriage in USA and there is an equivalent in many other countries and then the "traditional" or say a religious marriage. the civil marriage is the one that is registered with the government. I was married (I-130 14 months process time) in Catholic wedding in Colombia, South America, but that was also registered as a civil marriage and it was the civil marriage that was recognized by the USA Immigration.

Now, after a divorce and annulment long story hehehe), I am in process for an I-129F fiancée visa. Our intent is to have my Filipina fiancée come to California and we will have civil marriage here in USA, then return to Philippines for a formal Church Catholic wedding for her family to see. It takes care of all the requirements Immigration and family/cultural.

A legal marriage in order for it to be legal has to be registered by the government so that they can officially recognise the couple as married for tax and other purposes . Civil marriages are not the only marriages registered by the state. The difference between a civil and traditional marriages is that a civil marriage is conducted my a civil servant such as a judge, while a legal traditional or religious marriage is conducted by someone who is not appointed by the state but still is licensed by the government to perform marriages. In order for it to be legal the clergy etc. must have a permit to perform the marriage and register it with the state, and the couple must have a license. Without these documents the marriage is not recognised by any government or legal authorities are being genuine.

Timeline

However, it could be considered a real marriage by uscis... If it smells like a wedding....

I-130

Citizenship Process;

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

However, it could be considered a real marriage by uscis... If it smells like a wedding....

Yes, you're right, it's better to be safe than sorry and I think they're going to play it safe now. The most important thing for them right now is securing a life in America and everything has to orientate around that.

Off topic but I just want to say you are one of the best wedding photographers I've seen. You have such attention to detail and I'd definitely be getting you for ours if you were based in Oregon. ;)

Timeline

Yes, you're right, it's better to be safe than sorry and I think they're going to play it safe now. The most important thing for them right now is securing a life in America and everything has to orientate around that.

Off topic but I just want to say you are one of the best wedding photographers I've seen. You have such attention to detail and I'd definitely be getting you for ours if you were based in Oregon. ;)

Wow... thanks! I did not expect that...

I-130

Citizenship Process;

Timeline

I think that is a wise and prudent decision... You have a lifetime together, and this process is difficult, do not add more roadblocks or stress... Have a good and speedy journey

Thank you very much. That's the last thing I want to do, create more problems to already long journey.

Timeline

Good Luck for the rest of the journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A legal marriage in order for it to be legal has to be registered by the government so that they can officially recognise the couple as married for tax and other purposes . Civil marriages are not the only marriages registered by the state. The difference between a civil and traditional marriages is that a civil marriage is conducted my a civil servant such as a judge, while a legal traditional or religious marriage is conducted by someone who is not appointed by the state but still is licensed by the government to perform marriages. In order for it to be legal the clergy etc. must have a permit to perform the marriage and register it with the state, and the couple must have a license. Without these documents the marriage is not recognised by any government or legal authorities are being genuine.

In some countries a religious marriage is all it takes to be legal and recognized. You can tell the people in these linked cases so adamantly that there is no way to be denied if you are not legally married and have it registered? (and this is only a couple of cases...there are more, even those being denied entry with their K-1 because they used the word husband or the CBP officer saw wedding photos in their luggage)>

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/306181-k1-visa-is-rejected-what-are-the-alternatives-can-i-apply-for-spouse-visa/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/346279-how-can-a-k-1-misrepresentation-denial-be-overturned/

It is a disservice to turn a blind eye to the fact that a CO's discretion is the final word on whether or not you get approved and advise people they will be A-okay as long as they do not register the marriage. If they believe you are married, they can deny you a K-1, whether you were legally married/registered anything with a court or not. What constitutes a legal marriage is not the same across all countries.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.