Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yellowlight

Can you be called for jury duty while on a Permanent Resident Status?

11 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

Basically that is my question. While on a Permanent Resident Status can you be called for Jury Duty?

Yellowlight-Yes, as a permanent resident, you can receive a notice for jury duty...

As notices like that are randomly sent, really....

However.....PERMANENT RESIDENTS CANNOT SERVE ON A JURY!

And by doing such, it would be illegal, and one would have serious consequences if they served on such...

For example, if you serve on a jury as a permanent resident, you will not be allowed to have citizenship (and yes, they do ask about that on the citizenship process).

ONLY CITIZENS CAN SERVE ON A JURY.

So if a permanent resident ever gets a notice for jury duty...

Simply return the form and say..."cannot serve on the jury, not a citizen..."

And don't lie/not tell the truth about this either!

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

My wife applied for a stae ID

Three weeks later she recieved a letter for jury duty.

The form had a line item, Are You a Citizen, Check No and send it back.

Only citizens can serve Jury Duty.

But any, Legal, resident can be random ly selected, but not serve.

When I was an LPR I got so many of those, I just checked Non-USC and send it back. Now that I'm a USC I have to go, that one thing where being a LPR is better then a USC...

You have a chance of getting a Jury Duty letter every time your name pops up in a state-run database system. i.e applying for any kind of License, voter registration, if your going through the process of buying a house, ect...

:devil: Another question; if you are a dual-USC, what will happen if you claim exemption and sent a copy of the OTHER passport as evidence?

you cannot do that, you are a USC of this country, you have the responsibility to serve your country on jury duty. That is part of the 100 questions you had to study for the test.

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.