KarimaG

US Citizen losing Citizenship...

39 posts in this topic

Hi Karima,

Don't listen to them.

Check out DCF - it is for people who get married when they are residents or have visas in a foreign country and have gotten married.

The K-3 visa/ IR-1/ CR-1 are for people who are already married and most were married overseas. That is a huge part of this site. All those people obviously did not lose their citizenships. As the other posters say, you lose your citizenship when you give it up.

Read this for more info: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html

It does say you can lose it by being naturalized into a foreign country. But usually being a Permanent Resident is not the same as citizenship, so I wouldn't worry.

If you are going to live abroad, you can register with the Department of State and then if anything happens in the country where you are staying, they send you emails and stuff and obviously try and help you if anything happens to you.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Don't freak out u will be just fine! and again you will not lose your citizenship by marrying a foreiner or staying abroad for a along time. My cousin stayed abroad for almost 10 yrs and he came to the state's without any problem; he is a born American citizen. hope that make's u feel better.

Yes that does make me feel better! But what will realllllllly make me feel better is if he got approved on Monday and wont have to worry about any of this at all! lol Know why they call it a visa journey... wowoww isnt it a long journey! It kind of feel like going on a trip and being stuck on the car for 20 hours and driving through sleet, rain and snow.. then finally getting able to get home to the warm bed! Just waiting for it to be over and get to that warm bed! Speaking of... Im off to bed!!!!!!! Catch u guys tomorrow! Thanks again! :D

Just go to the US embassy in any country and renounce your US citizenship, it's that easy. At some point I know I am going to do this as this country is starting to really suck....We should start calling it the United States of Mexico!!!

In all seriousness, Just don't get cought bearing arms against the US or renouncing and you'll be fine.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Timeline
Hi Karima,

Don't listen to them.

Check out DCF - it is for people who get married when they are residents or have visas in a foreign country and have gotten married.

The K-3 visa/ IR-1/ CR-1 are for people who are already married and most were married overseas. That is a huge part of this site. All those people obviously did not lose their citizenships. As the other posters say, you lose your citizenship when you give it up.

Read this for more info: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html

It does say you can lose it by being naturalized into a foreign country. But usually being a Permanent Resident is not the same as citizenship, so I wouldn't worry.

If you are going to live abroad, you can register with the Department of State and then if anything happens in the country where you are staying, they send you emails and stuff and obviously try and help you if anything happens to you.

Well I was going to bed. Which part was I not supposed to listen too? This was what I found a few minutes ago...

This is taken from the U.S. Department of State website... http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship. Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

Also read... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship

Dual citizenship

A person having a dual nationality does not lose Moroccan nationality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroccan_nationality_law

Edited by KarimaG

she said "well Obama lost his citizenship by claiming citizenship in another country...",

Well, only a natural born citizen can be President of the US. If he lost his citizenship, then the Supreme Court Justices couldn't have sworn him in as President. Yes, there are crazy theories about his citizenship, but that's a new one even on me. Regardless of whether there are arguments for it, clearly the US Supreme Court didn't take it seriously enough to fail to swear him in.

Anyway, forget about Obama, what about you? You may want to show your mother INA 357, where it very explicitly addresses your proposed situation:

... no woman who was a national of the United States shall be deemed to have lost her nationality solely by reason of her marriage to an alien on or after September 22, 1922, or to an alien racially ineligible to citizenship on or after March 3, 1931, or, in the case of a woman who was a United States citizen at birth, through residence abroad following such marriage, notwithstanding the provisions of any existing treaty or convention.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...RCRD&CH=act

Also see INA 349, where it lists the only ways a US Citizen can lose his/her citizenship, and says that citizenship can only be lost by voluntarily performing an expatriating act with the intent of relinquishing nationality.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Don't freak out u will be just fine! and again you will not lose your citizenship by marrying a foreiner or staying abroad for a along time. My cousin stayed abroad for almost 10 yrs and he came to the state's without any problem; he is a born American citizen. hope that make's u feel better.

Yes that does make me feel better! But what will realllllllly make me feel better is if he got approved on Monday and wont have to worry about any of this at all! lol Know why they call it a visa journey... wowoww isnt it a long journey! It kind of feel like going on a trip and being stuck on the car for 20 hours and driving through sleet, rain and snow.. then finally getting able to get home to the warm bed! Just waiting for it to be over and get to that warm bed! Speaking of... Im off to bed!!!!!!! Catch u guys tomorrow! Thanks again! :D

Hope he get's approved this monday ;we all are praying that he get's his visa ! so all the best to u and your fiance :)

Edited by wmtc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Karima, I think your stressing too much. Many of us, myself included married in our spouses country and we do not loose our citizenship. I had a nice time in Egypt and married my husband in Alexandria Egypt back in 2006. And I went back again in 2007, the "thought" of loosing citizenship never crossed my mind. If you choose to go to Morocco, just go and have a nice time with your husband and STOP stressing.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Im planning on going to Morocco. And the only reason for going would be if he waqs denied his visa, or if we were in AP too long. His interview in on Monday. Just trying to get a plan B going... . lolol

Are you implying that you have to become Morroccon citizen to marry in Morroco ?

Wow.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
Im planning on going to Morocco. And the only reason for going would be if he waqs denied his visa, or if we were in AP too long. His interview in on Monday. Just trying to get a plan B going... . lolol

Are you implying that you have to become Morroccon citizen to marry in Morroco ?

Wow.

No, sorry, never implied that. The question from the beginning of the thread was "if I moved to morocco is there ever a risk of losing my united states citizenship?" Which my family seems to be under the impression I would. Nope, I never implied that someone has to become a moroccan citizen to be able to marry a moroccan.

But to some others that responded, I personally am not concerned about losing citizenship. I really dont think its possible, so Im not worried in that respect... lol I was trying to gather information for my family who seems to want to insist that I would, and find out some details for them. Im just really hoping who interviews him has a good start in the morning and not in a 'mood'. Im hoping the interview moves smoothly. I seen a couple threads on mena where one seems to be approved, and one was approved so that gives me hope. Ive been waiting so long for this day and really hope it turns out good. BUT! If it doesnt, I will just simply go there! And if he gets stuck in AP I plan on going there and waiting it out with him, and 'enjoy" my time, and think of it as an extended vacation! Everyone has really been great on this thread and I appreciate so much everyones responses!!! :thumbs: Thanks so much! Nowwwwww im going to bed! hhh

Edited by KarimaG

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

From what I understand you can lose your citizenship if you bear arms/fight in a war against the U.S. Or voluntarily renounce your citizenship. And yes, a naturalized citizen may be stripped of their citizenship, if it is found that they gained it through fraudulent means.

Don't stress so much and cross your bridge when you come to it!

Good luck, girl.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Timeline
There has been a question among my family, and everyone thinks they are right... and im wondering if anyone has the answer...

Me, being a american born citizen, moves to another country to gat married. Just temporarily. Im doing this in the even that our k1 did not happen, or if he was in AP for too long. Then I will fly over there and marry and come back here later apon approval of that.

Question; If I do this, move there, get married, took citizenship, will I be able to come back home to my own country, united states? Because I was born here i can never lose citizenship here correct?

And by me just marrying there does not make me lose citizen ship here.

Family members are under the impression if I move over there to wait this out with him, or marry over there, or take citizenship there, that I willnever be able to come back home bc I will lose my citizenship here. Thanksssss!!!

Born in USA = Always an American. Stupid Question buddy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
There has been a question among my family, and everyone thinks they are right... and im wondering if anyone has the answer...

Me, being a american born citizen, moves to another country to gat married. Just temporarily. Im doing this in the even that our k1 did not happen, or if he was in AP for too long. Then I will fly over there and marry and come back here later apon approval of that.

Question; If I do this, move there, get married, took citizenship, will I be able to come back home to my own country, united states? Because I was born here i can never lose citizenship here correct?

Family members are under the impression if I move over there to wait this out with him, or marry over there, or take citizenship there, that I willnever be able to come back home bc I will lose my citizenship here. Thanksssss!!!

Born in USA = Always an American. Stupid Question buddy

I liked lucyrich's reply far better than yours.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You could be born in the u.s. and move to say Germany when your seven days old and live there until your 99 and still go to the u.s. without any probs (assuming you kept an updated passport). Unless you pick up a rifle and fire at U.S. troops in Iraq or walk into a U.S. embassy and say "I no longer wish to be American" your an American for life. Pretty clear cut for ppl born in the U.S., for ppl that weren't it is alittle muddied but about the same... like others have mentioned.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife, a USC, moved to Canada, married me there and lived there with me for 2 years. This had no effect on her US Citizenship at all. She did move back here before I entered the country to establish residence and get work. That helped with the immigration process but had nothing to do with Citizenship.

K

LPR since 2003 and will be applying for Naturalization soon. Currently working on I-130 for my son.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you were confusing Permenant resident with US Citizenship. If you were on your Green Card still, then no you couldn't just move over there that easily without jeapordizing and losing your Green Card possibly. This is not true of course as mentioned previously for a US citizenship.

And yes there are several ways you can lose your US Citizenship. Besides Fraud (including lying on the N-400), fighting or applying for citizenship of an enemy of America, voluntarily revoking it. You can also lose it by"

- commiting serious crimes (like Treason) or having had commited serious crimes in the past. One good example is several ex-Nazi's have been discovered in the US in the recent past and have all been stripped of their Citizenships and deported.

- Another is holding high ranks in public offices in other countries such as ambassadors or high level administration positions etc.

- You can lose it by being an officer or Non-commissioned officer in any foreign army (you can join a foreign army, but not as an officer rank).

- Refusing to testify before Congress within 10 years of being a citizen regarding your involvement in any subversive activities

So yes there are several ways beyond what has been mentioned how one can lose their citizenship. Of course, most people will probably never fall close into any of these catagories...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.