AngelK96

Pledge of Allegiance?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

A friend told me when her sister in law was swear in as a Citizen she had to know the Pledge of Allegiance is this true?

Anyways she didn't know it so she just pretended she did :P

Two more days until Citizenship Interview. btw my husband had a hard time saying star spangled banner. For some reason it was a tongue twister for him. He kept say spangle bangle star :lol:

At my husband's oath ceremony a few days ago, they were given a sheet with the Oath of Allegiance and the Pledge of Allegiance written on it. It did not have to be memorized. Actually the judge led them in reciting the pledge - she would say a line, and they'd all repeat after her.

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Timeline
At my husband's oath ceremony a few days ago, they were given a sheet with the Oath of Allegiance and the Pledge of Allegiance written on it. It did not have to be memorized. Actually the judge led them in reciting the pledge - she would say a line, and they'd all repeat after her.

Thank You!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

At my Oath ceremony last Wednesday they had a sheet on each chair with the Oath of Allegiance and the Allegiance to the Flag printed out. The Director of USCIS read it out line by line and everyone repeated it or just read from the sheet. You don't need to know the Oath :-).

Good luck at your interview!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Same at my wife's oath ceremony, she didn't have to know anything, but good to sit when all sat, good to stand, when all stood, move your lips when everyone else is moving theirs. Can say thank you when handed your certificate, but can't help but to smile.

We use to say the Pledge of Allegiance at the start of every school day, guess they don't do that anymore in schools. Maybe because President Eisenhower convinced congress to add two word to the Pledge when they thought this country was undergoing a threat of communism. They added "under God" to it, not suppose to use that God word in schools anymore.

Timeline
At my Oath ceremony last Wednesday they had a sheet on each chair with the Oath of Allegiance and the Allegiance to the Flag printed out. The Director of USCIS read it out line by line and everyone repeated it or just read from the sheet. You don't need to know the Oath :-).

Good luck at your interview!

Thanks and Congrats on your becoming an US Citizen.

Timeline
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Same at my wife's oath ceremony, she didn't have to know anything, but good to sit when all sat, good to stand, when all stood, move your lips when everyone else is moving theirs. Can say thank you when handed your certificate, but can't help but to smile.

We use to say the Pledge of Allegiance at the start of every school day, guess they don't do that anymore in schools. Maybe because President Eisenhower convinced congress to add two word to the Pledge when they thought this country was undergoing a threat of communism. They added "under God" to it, not suppose to use that God word in schools anymore.

:lol:

They still say the Pledge of Allegiance here in this Nebraska town not sure about High School, but Middle and Grade School they do.

lmao @ moving lips when everyone else is moving theirs :whistle:

CR-1/IR-1 Journey for Self

12th April 08 - Married in Australia

21st April 08 - Mailed off I-130 but with incorrect title on cheques

30th April 08 - USCIS returned petitions requesting correct title on cheques

2nd May 08 - Mailed out I-130s again! Finally on our way!!!

9th May 08 - NOA-1

7th Nov 08 - Tranferred to CSC

4th Dec 08 - Approved!!!

22nd Dec 08 - NVC # assigned

23rd June 09 - Case Complete at NVC (We slowed down the process on purpose to time interview accordingly)

18th August 09 - Medical

25th August 09 - Interview Date - Approved!!!

19th February 10 - POE L.A (No dramas, just SLOW)

2nd March 10 - Welcome to America Letter

Sadly enough I think alot of people who have lived here their entire life still only move their lips when everyone else is...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

It was so embarassing for me I had to move my lips too, I had no clue the ceremony was the same day, I didn't even take a camera with me :huh:

Our Timeline:

11/1999 - We met in Ecuador

02/05/00 - Relationship started

09/08/06 - Engaged & Pregnant!

03/13/08 - I filed for Citizenship

07/22/08 - Became US Citizen

08/02/08 - I-129F sent

08/13/08 - Case received by VSC

08/16/08 - NOA1

08/18/08 - Touched

12/18/08 - Touched again exactly 4 mos. after 1st touch!

12/18/08 - Noa2 @ 3PM-Gracias Dios Mio!

12/24/08 - NVC sent pckg. 3 to Embassy

01/02/09 - Pckg 3 rcvd. by Embassy

01/09/09 - Pckg 3 from Embassy received by beneficiary

02/09/09 - Medical exam

02/16/09 - Sent back checklist and docs required by embassy.

03/13/09 - We will fly to see Daddy Gary

03/16/09 - 1 PM Interview (Pray God he gets visa)

03/16/09 - 5PM INTERVIEW PASSED WOOHOO. Thank God.

03/25/09 - Visa on hand! he went to DHL office after phone call received.

04/18/09 - My Cuchi came, (NYC)a wonderful unbelievable moment!:)

04/20/09 - We applied for marriage licence. (Township Municipal Bldg Health Dept.)

04/23/09 - Licence on hand

04/29/09 - Applied for Social Security (He was in system!)

04/30/09 - Wedding day!!! Yeeebaa

05/07/09 - SS card in mail. "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

05/13/09 - Sent AOS paperwork.

06/16/09 - Biometrics Apptmt.

06/25/09 - EAD Card in mail!

06/26/09 - Letter saying case transfered to Cali.

08/08/09 - Residence Card in Mail! Yuuupiiiiiii.

THE END FOR 2 MORE YEARS.

I don´t need patience if I have love. Ah I que Viva mi Guayaquil Carajo!

-Cuchita-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Tend to be a bit facetious with my comments, but also like to tell it the way I see it. Wife read the oath and signed it front of her IO after all of our papers were in order. With IO's supervisor's okay, could have handed her the certificate right then and there, but has to be a ceremony. For us, another very long day of driving and waiting. Wife's moment of glory lasted a whole ten seconds when that certificate was handed to her. No one else in the room could have cared less about her, except me. Of course there wasn't a dead silence when the oath and pledge were recited, would have been obvious, but a fair percentage of them could have been just doing a lip service.

Good points is that my wife made new friends from her home country, bad news, she could no longer travel, so had the DOS to deal with and more money out the door.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

At the oath, we were given papers with the pledge of allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner, but we didn't say the pledge or sing the song! :blink: And then they only gave us our little flags AFTER the oath was over, lol!!

The above is not legal advice.

It is either from research or merely my opinion.

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Sadly enough I think alot of people who have lived here their entire life still only move their lips when everyone else is...

My thoughts exactly. I guess I find it disheartening that those who are becoming citizens (and even those who have lived all their lives here) don't know it.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

I got caught out at my recent oath ceremony. The judge led the oath by reading it line by line, but then we all had to turn to face the flag and recite the pledge and I had to just move my lips! :blush:

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.