Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ucla_cutie26

TOTAL COST OF K1 VISA

38 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

:help: Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and had a question for all of you who have already gone through the k1 process. How much does it cost to process the k1 fiance visa from start to finish? I am a bit confused because I have looked up info. and they all say different things. For example, the form DS-156, is this paid for in fiance's country or while in the US?

I just wanted to know if anyone could give an estimate of how much they spent to file all the paperwork.

Thanks

Hi Cutie, and welcome.

The I-129F Petition currently costs $170.00 to file.

When your fiance goes for they're interview, they will also have to pay $100.00

You will also have to pay for a Medical Exam for the fiance... I know in Brasil it is $100.00

As far as I know, that is it. There are of course other things that may need to be considered, like having documents translated (if need be) mailing documents back and forth at times, and of course airfare, hotels (if they live far from the Consulate) etc.

I know for me personally, from start to finish it is probably going to cost me a little over $3,000, and that includes a ticket for me to go be with my fiance during her interview. Without that, I'm guessing closer to $2,000.

Ah yes, very good point Christy, I forget about the Passport, BirthCertificate, Police Records etc. that could add additional costs.

Edited by Erik

:help: Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and had a question for all of you who have already gone through the k1 process. How much does it cost to process the k1 fiance visa from start to finish? I am a bit confused because I have looked up info. and they all say different things. For example, the form DS-156, is this paid for in fiance's country or while in the US?

I just wanted to know if anyone could give an estimate of how much they spent to file all the paperwork.

Thanks

Off the top of my head - official fees at this time are:

$170 -K1 visa application - form I-129F

$300 more or less for medical in Ciudad Juarez - depends on the number of vaccinations your fiance needs and if he plans to get them in Ciudad Juarez or in the US before adjusting status (most people seem to do them at the medical appointment but you don't have to)

$100 - cost of the interview in Ciudad Juarez - needs to be paid for in advance at a Banamex location

The DS 156 is a separate form that I think is in the embassy checklist and I don't believe there is a cost associated with this, but if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

There is no need for translation of documents in Mexico and he will not need a police certificate there.

Other things to add in -- copies of every single thing you send, getting the I-134 Affadavit of Support notarized (sometimes your bank will do it at no cost) and perhaps the cost of getting a certified copy of his birth certificate if he doesn't have one. Also need to add in the cost of a passport for fiance if he doesn't have one - a 5-year passport in Mexico costs $85 (not a bad idea to get a 5 year instead of a 1 year since it's such a pain to do). You should probably factor in the cost of transporation to the interview in Ciudad Juarez from wherever he lives and the cost of his plane ticket to the US. Don't forget to add in the cost of adjustment of status once he's in the US - that doesn't fall into the K1 fees that you requested, but does come into play once he's in the country.

I won't even get into the emotional costs of dealing with USCIS and DHS - that's a whole separate story.

Hope this helps and I'm sure someone will add more if I've left out something glaring.

Edited by kitkat1

Thank you all for your input, anything and everything is USEFUL, believe me.

I was just asking because I recently graduated from college and just got my first "real job." I've been working for just 3 months, so I will definately need a co-sponsor (my dad).

I do have my passport and my birth certificate.

I was just wondering about the total costs for all of you guys since I haven't seen a question regarding this.

I just wanted input from everyone about their total costs to process their fiance visa from start to finish.

So far I have paid $170.00 for the I-129F. I sent Yang Bo $300.00 to cover the cost of securing her passport, birth certificate, her divorce decree with translation, etc. I expect to pay for her medical exam and cost for interview (probably $100.00). Airline ticket will probably run about $1,000.00. And the list goes on. Once she arrives we are going to work on her daughters paperwork which is going to be an additional expense. I don't mind the cost and I am loving every minute of it.

Good luck

post-22965-1152073723_thumb.jpg

All the paper work..hunderds of dollars

All the USCIS fees...hundreds of dollars

All the phone calls and plane tickets.....hundreds of dollars

Leaving all your stuff behind....hundreds of dollars

The feeling you get when you finally get to be with your partner after jumping through all the hoops......

PRICELESS :D

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.