britinusa

How to apply for citizen for US children born abroad in the USA

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

How do you register children born in the Uk to US citizens now that we live in the USA. We didn't realize that we had to do this.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

You can't. Either travel outside the US and apply at a consulate, or just apply for a passport when you are in the US. The child can't receive a CRBA in the US. This only works abroad.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

thank you for your reply Mark, thats what I thought but when I applied for a US passport and they told me I had to get a CRBA from the UK. I have downloaded the forms to fill out but not sure what to do with them, one of the passport agencies wanted $600 for just the forms.

Timeline

Out of curiosity, how did the child enter the US without a US Passport?

How old is the child now?

Good question(s). I didn't consider this. You'll have to provide this info first.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Timeline

sorry forgot to mention, we have british citizenship too, they entered in on the british passport, they are 1 1/2 and 4 years old

Timeline

sorry forgot to mention, we have british citizenship too, they entered in on the british passport, they are 1 1/2 and 4 years old

You are probaly in a bind. By law, a USC must enter on a US passport. In theory, your children are here illegally, since they overstayed their visa/esta. This is something DOS might only be able to clear up.

Be prepared to travel abroad since the CRBA might be necessary in your case. At the minimum you might have to pay a fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I believe the minute they entered the U.Saturday. they automatically became a citizen, not sure how to clear up the muck about entering on a British passport. It was obviously accidental but illegal...

Timeline

I believe the minute they entered the U.Saturday. they automatically became a citizen, not sure how to clear up the muck about entering on a British passport. It was obviously accidental but illegal...

Your information is wrong. Derivative citizenship only works when entering the US on a IR/CR visa. They entered proably with esta.

Timeline

yes they did enter on an esta visa, we were thinking they would automatically become US citizen since both parents are, but not the case I guess. They did not enter illegally as they have a british passport. but I guess could be illegal now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

They are automatically USCs. You are correct about this BUT you have no proof of it. Just as my daughter who was born in Germany has an EU and German birth certificate is a USC because her parents were USC where is the proof. That is where the CRBA comes into play. Right now legally your children are UK citizens who have overstayed their ESTA. How to fix from inside the US...I don't know.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Got it. Work backwards and apply for a U.S. passport....you have all the evidence needed....you won't need a CRBA. After you receive that apply for the naturalization certificate.

If only it were that easy.......

OP already stated they applied for passports but were told they need CRBA's from UK

Timeline

no one has any idea what should be done, Passport office in USA say call US embassy in Uk, There has to be a solution besides having to go back to the USA but then I guess some of the fees these people are asking it might be cheaper

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.