Scott&Yuli

My GF here on tourist visa...

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

My girlfriend and I have been dating for over a year and a half with correspondence daily and she has visited me in Florida, and now Colorado. In September I visited her in Bogota. In here most recent visit here in Colorado we have talked about getting married, what would be the best path to do so and obtain a "green card" for her? She has return ticket to Bogota in July. Should we file for K1? or????

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

K1 visa - you guys get engaged and then file and wait for her visa to get approved, visa will be approved in her country and then she can travel to the states and you guys have 90 days to marry and then you can adjust status and file for green card. Apply for the k1 visa asps its a looong wait unfortunately :(

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You have two choices. You can apply for a K-1 as stated above or you can marry her already and get started on her AOS. She won't be able to leave the country for at least 4 or 5 months after the data you get married, until she receives her AP.

Check out information here in case you decide to marry ang get her a greencard while she is here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Congrats and good luck.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

She came here on tourist Visa to visit and see if she likes Colorado and could possibly study law here. She is a Lawyer in Colombia. Well, we have had a blast the last 3 weeks she has been here and we do not want to separate. We decided to get engaged. She was asked because of her return flight being so far away if she had the money to be able to stay here...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Tourist Visa to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~Inquiry about family visa processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

Damn IT !!!

I spent an hour writing a 1 page detailed response..

but another admin did a MERGE / TRANSFER and then my POST was REJECTED since the original post no longer existed..

I understand the value on sorting but its messed up Site Traffic, Search Engine indexing is lost, Bad Links downgrade SEO results, and also people writing replies lose their replies if it happens at the same time .

Don't have the energy to write a long reply again.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

If you dont want to separate, get married and apply for her AOS.

She came here on tourist Visa to visit and see if she likes Colorado and could possibly study law here. She is a Lawyer in Colombia. Well, we have had a blast the last 3 weeks she has been here and we do not want to separate. We decided to get engaged. She was asked because of her return flight being so far away if she had the money to be able to stay here...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

Get a free consult from an immigration attorney.. let him discuss the preconceived intent issues with you first.. no one knows for sure if your interviewer would choose to ask those types of questions. Still legal precedent is on your side with a spouse since this intent alone is not enough reason to deny AOS

relax a little.. think about what you might or might not want to do..... after thinking it through about 2 months or so ... marry and do concurrent adjustment.

make sure your answers at point of entry were truthful and there you tourist visa application and interview were truthful first..

If you entered the US on B2 Tourist and did not intend to stay (whether you intended to marry or not although easier to explain if marriage was spontaneous) and then later changed your mind and decide to stay... .... then you did not have pre conceived intent to immigrate at entry.... so again, sounds like no decision has been made yet.... so I presume you didn't have intent on entry as you are only deciding now.

Map it out.... lots of links on here to the paperwork...

best of luck.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

thanks JohnR in Colorado common law marriage is legally binding would that be the a good course then apply for AOS?

No, it's not good enough. You need to show that you are married. You need the marriage certificate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Her intent is spelled out here it seems. What happens next is a product of decisions.

See the forums here on V J where you will find info on the legal path to a green card for her. Or she can return home to await a CR1 type.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Or you can do it as we are doing:

I have a 3 year tourist visa to US and came to visit my then boyfriend now fiance on October 8 2014(I was admitted to the country until Apr 07 2015). At first it was my plan to leave in 3 weeks, but since my work contract was done we decided I could stay longer. So while I stayed as a tourist we got engaged and filed K-1 petition with NOA-1 date Jan 02 2015 (knowing that I will need to go back for the interview and everything else to Russia). So our petition was approved Feb 13 2015 and I am still in US. Now I am planning to leave asap to get ready for the next step-medical.

That way we will only be away from each other not too long.

Legal Permanent Resident since 09.15.2015

ROC timeline

06.19.2017 I-751 mailed

06.22.2017 package delivered to Laguna Niguel PO box

06.23.2017 check cashed

06.27.2017 NOA-1 received dated 06.22.2017

07.14.2017 Biometrics letter received. Notice dated 06.30.2017

07.19.2017 Biometrics appointment 

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Or you can do it as we are doing:

I have a 3 year tourist visa to US and came to visit my then boyfriend now fiance on October 8 2014(I was admitted to the country until Apr 07 2015). At first it was my plan to leave in 3 weeks, but since my work contract was done we decided I could stay longer. So while I stayed as a tourist we got engaged and filed K-1 petition with NOA-1 date Jan 02 2015 (knowing that I will need to go back for the interview and everything else to Russia). So our petition was approved Feb 13 2015 and I am still in US. Now I am planning to leave asap to get ready for the next step-medical.

That way we will only be away from each other not too long.

You don't have to leave for the medical.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.