59 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am sure that I probably need to see a lawyer about this, but I thought it would help first to ask the forum.

My husband and I are getting ready to apply for a visa here and I have looked over the forms (I am American, he is not). There are questions that ask about criminal background, imprisonment, etc.

My husband has told me some things that happened in his past for which there is no criminal record. He was involved in a fight in which a man died. The man was part of a group which confronted

him when he was in a strange place with two female family members. He fought to protect his family and a man was killed. He went to court, but it was ruled self-defense. There is nothing on his

record about this....absolutely nothing. I know it only because he told me.

There are questions on the visa application that ask if you have ever been involved in a person dying, basically. Then there is room to explain.

We do not know how to handle this. It was not a crime of moral turpitude. It was self-defense. Nobody knows about it now except the people closest to him. If we say yes, won't it prejudice and complicate

his application? What are we supposed to say? Do we need to get a lawyer?

I have never lied on a form in my life, but I feel between a rock and a hard place.

If you can give any advice, please do.

He will still need to supply his his police records. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/MO.html#docs If there is not an issue, then there is not an issue. I don't see anywhere where court records are available for Morocco either. I can't see how this is going to be an issue since it's not on his criminal record (essentially he was ruled at not-guilty because self-defense right?) But maybe someone else who has gone through Casablanca can comment or we can move your thread to a regional forum if you want.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's best to disclose the truth. If it was deemed self-defense, that should not be an issue. What would be is not disclosing it, and the government finding out about it during background checks.

At the NVC stage, he will submit both the police record and court record.

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Timeline

There is nothing about it on his police record at all. It was completely removed. His record looks like nothing even happened. He does not even want to mention it. He does not like to talk about it and he only told me after having known each other for quite some time.

Timeline

I guess see what lawyers say. If you don't put it on the form, and our government finds out about it.... that would be misrepresentation and look like he's guilty of a crime whereas I'm sure the persons death was not the intention when he fought to defend himself and his family. Things happen. If misrepresentation is discovered, that could result in a ban from entering the US. Truth is the only way to go when dealing with our government in these matters. Best of luck. Seek the advice of more than one lawyer. You will see forum members always recommended truth on forms vs. Risking the ban

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Timeline

For me myself, I also always believe in the truth; it is my own personal ethic and I've never much had any real motive for deviating from that. But he feels strongly against disclosing; he's convinced that, if he does, his petition will be denied. So, actually, we are both worried about that now.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hide it and you may get away with it. If the omission is discovered and it is deemed a material misrepresentation, then prepared to have your family ripped apart when he is deported and ban for life.

Or disclose as required and deal with the consequences before you start a family with children.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

For me myself, I also always believe in the truth; it is my own personal ethic and I've never much had any real motive for deviating from that. But he feels strongly against disclosing; he's convinced that, if he does, his petition will be denied. So, actually, we are both worried about that now.

Ask what would happen if the truth is later discovered and his punishment is deportation and a lifetime ban. Maybe at that time, you will have several small children. What happens then?

He needs to think about the worst possible consequences if he choose to lie on an immigration form.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am sure that I probably need to see a lawyer about this, but I thought it would help first to ask the forum.

My husband and I are getting ready to apply for a visa here and I have looked over the forms (I am American, he is not). There are questions that ask about criminal background, imprisonment, etc.

My husband has told me some things that happened in his past for which there is no criminal record. He was involved in a fight in which a man died. The man was part of a group which confronted

him when he was in a strange place with two female family members. He fought to protect his family and a man was killed. He went to court, but it was ruled self-defense. There is nothing on his

record about this....absolutely nothing. I know it only because he told me.

There are questions on the visa application that ask if you have ever been involved in a person dying, basically. Then there is room to explain.

We do not know how to handle this. It was not a crime of moral turpitude. It was self-defense. Nobody knows about it now except the people closest to him. If we say yes, won't it prejudice and complicate

his application? What are we supposed to say? Do we need to get a lawyer?

I have never lied on a form in my life, but I feel between a rock and a hard place.

If you can give any advice, please do.

Just because it's not on his police record, doesn't meant that there isn't a record of it somewhere that they could easily find. I would include it, and explain it. Maybe include some sort of court record that shows he was not guilty. Not including it is very risky IMO.

Started dating (online) June 2007

Met November 2007

Engaged August 2008

Married January 2009

He moved to Canada May 2009

Had a baby December 2011

USCIS

Mailed I-130 form-12/28/2013

Cheque cashed- 1/10/2014

NOA1- 1/15/2014

Priority date- 1/07/2014

Email saying our address was changed (we did not change it) 7/4/2014

NOA2-7/7/2014

NVC

NVC Received Case- 7/28/2014

Case number and IIN- 8/11/2014

DS-261 Completed- 8/11/2014

AOS Invoiced- 8/12/2014

AOS Paid- 8/18/2014

AOS and IV packages sent to NVC (EP) 9/12/2014

AOS Scan Date 9/12/2014 or 9/15/2014 (depending on the agent)

IV Scan Date 9/12/2014 or 9/16/2014 (depending on the agent)

DS-261 Accepted and IV Invoice- 9/19/2014 (One week after the price increase :ranting: )

IV fee paid 10/02/2014

DS-260 completed-10/03/2014

CASE COMPLETE- 11/06/2014

Medical- 12/9/2014

Interview- 12/18/2014-APPROVED!

Passport picked up from Embassy by Loomis- 12/19/2014

Passport ready for pick up at Loomis office in Ottawa- 12/22/2014

POE (easy peasy) - 1/3/2015

SS Card Arrived 1/14/2015

Green Card Arrived- 1/31/2015

Timeline

Welcome to VJ

You write " There is nothing on his record about this....absolutely nothing. I know it only because he told me"

You know this becuase your husband told you...If it were me and because you will need these papers anyways down the line

Before you decide on how you fill out your forms. That part I have no advice, never been there.

Have your husband pull his records

fiche anthropométrique = police record --- حسن السيرة والسلوك

Casier Judiciaire = court record -- السجل العدلي

Do your homework. For your knowledge too not just what goes on the application

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No arrest, no conviction, nothing. What is there to declare?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Welcome to VJ

You write " There is nothing on his record about this....absolutely nothing. I know it only because he told me"

You know this becuase your husband told you...If it were me and because you will need these papers anyways down the line

Before you decide on how you fill out your forms. That part I have no advice, never been there.

Have your husband pull his records

fiche anthropométrique = police record --- حسن السيرة والسلوك

Casier Judiciaire = court record -- السجل العدلي

Do your homework. For your knowledge too not just what goes on the application

Thank you for chiming in! I had linked the reciprocity tables but had hoped someone from Morocco would be along to help.

So this should be on his court records because he went to court, while it may not be on a police record and he NEEDS those records for the NVC and consular interview.

This will have to be disclosed but should not be an issue.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Where did he go to court?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.