RadioDJ_33

K-1 PETITION DENIED, NOW TRYING K-3

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello all,

I filed for the K-1 Visa on 1/2008. Because of a AWA related offense in my past, our petition was denied 7/2009, despite submission of evidence that I did not pose a threat to her. The documents I submitted included a 2 page letter from a Psychologist I went to after my offense that specifically stated he believes I do not pose a threat, AND a statement from my then fiancee that she knew about my history and was not concerned about her safety.

We got married on my recent trip to China and now we are going to try the K-3 Visa. I know USCIS will still ask for RFE for the AWA, but I don't know if we have a better chance to get the waiver since we are married now. Is there anyone here that has had a petition denied becuse of the AWA?

Will an Immigration Attorney be able to do anything to help us? Any input or opinions are welcome.

TIMELINE FOR WILLIAM & XIAORONG K-1 VISA

12/13/08.....1st trip to China

12/22/08.....Returned home

1/26/08......Mailed I-129F packet to CSC for K1

1/31/08......NOA 1

5/24/09......2nd trip to China

7/1/2009.....PETITION DENIED!!

TIMELINE FOR WILLIAM & XIAORONG K-3 VISA

7/28/2009.......MARRIED!

8/15/2009.......Retained services of an Immigration Attorney

8/23/09.........Returned home from 2nd trip

11/16/2009......Mailed I-130 to USCIS

11/28/2009......Received NOA 1 for I-130

12/2/2009...... Mailed I-129F to USCIS

12/13/2009......Received NOA1 for I-129F

2/12/2010.......Received NOID

3/2/2010........Mailed evidence for NOID

4/28/2010.......Received notice that Petitions were being transfered

from CSC to VSC

5/12/2010.......3rd trip to China

8/11/2010.......Returned home from 3rd trip

10/20/2010......Contacted USCIS for service referral due to past processing time

"It is good that war is so terrible, or else we would grow too fond of it."-Gen. Robert E.Lee, C.S.A.

"The concept of political parties is an illusion perpetuated by the US government in order to pacify the people by making them believe they have a choice."- Me

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure that filing a K-3 will negate the issue USCIS had with you that caused the K-1 denial. If I am not mistaken, you will have to deal with the AWA issue even with the K-3.

I would, if I were in your place, hire a COMPETENT immigration attorney.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You got to get through the USCIS first. If you can't get through to them, then hang your hats up and move to China.

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I do think a lawyer would be a good idea. These things can be overcome, but not all the time, and it might be a long fight. There is at leats one example of a VJer who beat the Adam Walsh act, here: Adam Walsh Act got beat!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Before hiring a lawyer, you may think about WHY you were denied. YOU may think you don't pose a threat to your SO, but what does the law define as a threat? If the law is not on your side, you may be wasting your money. If you really think you have a strong case that you are not a threat (maybe your AWA offense was statutory rape of a 17 yr old when you were 19...), get a good lawyer who has experience with the immigration consequences of criminal convictions.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Marc Ellis is a great immigration lawyer that operates out of Vietnam. I am not sure if he handles Adam Walsh cases but he is worth giving a call. I know that there is a huge range of offenses that get you caught up in this, some are minor and others indicate that the person should never be allowed to be close to women or children for the rest of their lives. Maybe you can PM someone here that made it through. I know there have been a couple, one took years so you are looking at a long long process probably.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Hello all,

I filed for the K-1 Visa on 1/2008. Because of a AWA related offense in my past, our petition was denied 7/2009, despite submission of evidence that I did not pose a threat to her. The documents I submitted included a 2 page letter from a Psychologist I went to after my offense that specifically stated he believes I do not pose a threat, AND a statement from my then fiancee that she knew about my history and was not concerned about her safety.

We got married on my recent trip to China and now we are going to try the K-3 Visa. I know USCIS will still ask for RFE for the AWA, but I don't know if we have a better chance to get the waiver since we are married now. Is there anyone here that has had a petition denied becuse of the AWA?

Will an Immigration Attorney be able to do anything to help us? Any input or opinions are welcome.

Nope, you have to build more evidence that you are not a risk to her or any children. Look to the IMBRA forum for posts about some folks who have been successful. If you can't build a case, then your only option is to move out of the US

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

If you present better evidence this time, USCIS has the opportunity to overlook that offense under provisions of the AWA, depending on the nature of the offense. It has done so before as witness "I Beat AWA".

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Marc Ellis is a great immigration lawyer that operates out of Vietnam. I am not sure if he handles Adam Walsh cases but he is worth giving a call. I know that there is a huge range of offenses that get you caught up in this, some are minor and others indicate that the person should never be allowed to be close to women or children for the rest of their lives. Maybe you can PM someone here that made it through. I know there have been a couple, one took years so you are looking at a long long process probably.

If I would have listen to Marc Ellis my husband would not be here right now. Yah I paid a $200 consultation fee, and thank goodness I did not take his advice. If Marc Ellis did you some good well then good for you, but as far as me, all he did was give me bad advice.

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

definitely an attorney is +++++

it's not a negative and you will need all the help you can get.

being married doesn't get you out of the woods. You still have to address the NOIR and it's in your records.

you still can get whited even through you are married.

good luck

Edited by youtube
comicirsaudit.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Hello all,

Marrying now does not reduce your AWA offense. What was that? Can you build more evidence that you are not a threat to your wife and any children?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hello all,

What type of offence did you commit? What was your sentence? How long did you attend therapy? I'm aghast that a Psychologist gave you a letter. I was a sex offender therapist for 26 years until my retirement 2 years ago. I would be brought up, in my country, to an ethics committee had I ever written such a letter. I may have written a letter detailing a risk assessment and used words such as a "low" (and defined same), or a "manageable" risk, but that's as far as I would ever be able, and even that would be open to interpretation to the governing body of ethical conduct. For sure, a Psychologist would be open to his/her disciplining body governed by their State, if they wrote up such a letter and could possibly lose their license to practice. Again, without knowing the details of the offence, the level of responsibility you took, the State's approved and sanctioned certified treatment that you participated in, and exactly what the Psychologist actually wrote, then I can't say for sure.

There is a forum here called Waivers, and a link posted earlier from someone who has had their petition approved by USCIS, however I don't know yet whether they have gotten to the Consulate/Embassy stage of their journey, which I suspect may still be denied, but again, it all depends on the offence, the age of the victim, the level of responsibility of yourself, the treatment that ensued, the duration of the abuse etc.

Getting married won't change anything at this point, unless you can overcome what specifically they didn't like about the "evidence" you provided thus far.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.