sisihorne

USCIS false info prompted me applying for N400 and was denied. Any way I could get Refund?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

I feel like I am all alone and helpless so I would like to have your advise. This is in regards to the recent denial of my application for Citizenship, received on early April, 2008.

I respect the decision, and I am not appealing. However, USCIS officers let me to believe I was eligible for naturalization, and this information prompted me to prematurely begin the application process for citizenship.

On two separate accounts, USCIS officers in different locations informed me that I was eligible for citizenship due to my status as a spouse of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces. On January, 2007, at the Seattle International Airport, a USCIS Officer informed me of my eligibility and that the required residency period of 5 years should be waived. I later confirmed this information with an immigration lawyer as well. Yet I accompanied my spouse, now retired from the military, to an oversea naval station from May, 2004, through January, 2007, where he was stationed on military assignment. For this reason, I was uncertain of my eligibility. My husband and I visited the USCIS Chula Vista, CA, office in July, 2007, to verify my eligibility. We presented documents of my spouse's military assignment, and the officer clearly defined that my marital status conferred my eligibility without fulfilling the required 5-year residency. Based on that information, I submitted my application for citizenship on July, 2007.

On April, at the USCIS San Jose Office, my interview and test for citizenship was conducted. I passed the English writing and U.S. History Test. I presented documentation and a detailed letter explaining my absence to the officer who conducted my interview. However after the test, the officer notified me that a decision cannot yet be made about my application because he was uncertain about which section of the naturalization act my case would apply to.

Then few days later, I received a letter stating that I am ineligible for U.S. Citizenship because I did not meet the required 5 years residency period. This decision conflicts with information provided by the officers in Seattle and Chula Vista. To clarify the matter, I immediately made an appointment at the USCIS San Jose office, since I was given 30 days from the date on the notice to appeal the decision.

I went to the appointment on April 18, to speak with USCIS Authorities and resolve this conflict. I asked how such conflicting information could be given and for instructions on obtaining an administrative review to correct these errors. So far, I have received no answers regarding my case. After speaking with three officers, I was finally informed that the supervisor who could handle my case was in a meeting and unavailable. My case would be forwarded, and I could expect a response from the supervisor by Wednesday, April 23. I was told the director Francis D. Siciliano made the decision on my case. It was confirmed that my record and files were kept at that office, but obtaining access to the files would take several days. As of May 27, no representative from the USCIS San Jose office has contacted me.

I respect the decision that I am currently ineligible for naturalization. However, the fact that I was given inaccurate information by various USCIS Authorities cannot be disregarded. So I have wrote a letter to USCIS San Jose Office, requesting a full refund or a credit of the $400 application processing fee and explaining the reasoning, but they demanded me to pay another $605.00 fee for requesting for a hearing on the decision given on my application. I feel that I am being penalized due to inaccurate information, as detailed above. I was given 30 days to submit an appeal, yet I am not receiving timely assistance with respect to this deadline. The naturalization process should be fair, consistent, and timely. All USCIS officers in all offices should possess current, accurate, and correct information pertaining to U.S. citizenship. As stated by both Title 8 of the Code of Federal Regulations and the Immigration and Nationality Act, all documentation should be reviewed thoroughly to insure that an applicant meets all requirements prior to submitting an application for citizenship.

Obviously, those lower authorities at the information windows cannot help me or probably not even authorized to say anything on a complicated case like mine, I really think I need to address this to the other level or associate, not to the local USCIS who made the decision. Is there any associate? or how could I find the people in this regard? Could the National Benefits Center be the one I can to speak to? Does anyone go through the same type of refund collection issue? I did contacted a couple of lawyers, but they all said they are not accepting new cases at this moment. I am really ready to drop this case, to just let it go and give the $400 tuition in life. But one last time, I want to see how far I can take this.

As helpless as I am now, any information and advise will be greatly appreciated. :crying: Thank you for reading.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

wow i dont know what to say.... (F) for sure this complete process is handled by so many different people and they seem to apply what ever rule they see fit to apply........im to sure any of them completely know what the correct answer is to ur problem.......ur in my prayers i hope that it get resolved in ur favor

sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Really sorry to hear your story.

When working with government or large companies, it is hard to get them to make change.

No one in the organization really cares. Your are just a number.

Example, the IRS can give you advice but they say if it is wrong, too bad. They are not liable.

Attorney would be not worth pursuing because their fees would exceed the $400.

You can keep trying hopefully someone will hear you but I wouldn't waste too much time.

Wish you luck.

My salute to you and your husband for your service to our country- true patriots.

:thumbs:

comicirsaudit.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You wrote that you confirmed it with an Immigration lawyer - why don't you ask him to support your case now? At the very least, it appears that your situation is very uncommon for the USCIS as well as the attorney you talked to - that being the case - he should be able to back you up with the statutes that he thinks support your case. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I believe no refund will be forthcoming... Incorrect information provided by any USCIS employee cannot be relied upon. This is the same when dealing with any governmental agency (ie.. IRS, et al..) If you look at most agencies websites and publications it will have a disclaimer to the effect that, and I am paraphrasing, that an individual may not assert agency employee comments as a defense in any proceedings..... yada yada yada....

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Contact your congressman, that is what they are for. They may provide special assistance, especially with the armed forces service. Be relentless in having them assist you. Also contact your senators office but they will be less helpful unless you are lucky enought to have one that is running for president! I doubt you will get a refund, but maybe soacial handleing or a waiver or a special law just for you if you are persistent.

Timeline
Contact your congressman, that is what they are for. They may provide special assistance, especially with the armed forces service. Be relentless in having them assist you. Also contact your senators office but they will be less helpful unless you are lucky enought to have one that is running for president! I doubt you will get a refund, but maybe soacial handleing or a waiver or a special law just for you if you are persistent.

I had more luck with my senator, only runs every six years so has more time and has a full time case worker for immigration purposes only. And have your military husband do the contacting on your behalf, after all it's also his 400 bucks, and as a veteran is given some special consideration. He also has his commanders for help and even JAG. I am a veteran as well and used that, hey, this is my wife, and this is my family bit.

Was under the impression that any US base was considered US territory, but maybe been out too long now and things have changed. But feel your husband would be far more effective than you for making inquiries.

If you want the name of a top immigration attorney, send me a message, us ex-military guys have to stick together.

Filed: Timeline

i have seen and experienced this personally about and with the government.. everyone gives u a different answer the only way to find out is to take the risk..im seriously talking about this cuz i dont wana get into details but to get some info i needed i called and asked diff folks in the government and ll had diff answers and they all sounded sure of each of their answers lol so u know what u dont surprise me..

I agree with NickD contact your senator. I thought it was only 3 years if you were married to a USC? and I thought US bases were considered US territory.

26/02/2005 Married in London to South African with UK Residency

28/02/2005 Sent off I-130 to London Consular

08/03/2005 Charge posted on Credit Card

14/03/2005 Sent off DS-230

15/03/2005 NOA of I-130

24/03/2005 Received Packet 3

18/04/2005 Sent in Form 169 (notice of readiness)

10/05/2005 Received Packet 4

06/06/2005 Medical at 10:00am in London

15/06/2005 Interview at 9:00 am (108 Days) -Approved

16/06/2005 Noon - Recieved Papers and Visa from Embassy

21/08/2005 Wife entered US on green Card

Conditions Removed +/- 1 year

??/06/2007 Submitted I-751

??/07/2007 Biometrics

02/04/2008 Application transferred from TSC to VSC

01/July/2008 Card Production ordered

N-400 process-3 months & 8 days

16/June/2008 Sent in packet of N-400

18/June/2008 NOA Priority date

20/June/2008 Check cashed

26/June/2008 NOA recieved

12/July/2008 Biometrics

08/Sept/2008 Interview- passed

24/Sept/2008 Oath (Cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

29/Oct/2008 Oath & Passport Application (not expedited)

07/Nov/2008 Passport Received - Done with the Process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I think you might have misunderstood the circumstances that you are eligible for the US Citizenship.

You (your wife) is eligible at your 3rd year anniversary since she became a greencard holder

OR

if you are outside the US on military orders she does not have to meet this 3 years requirement BUT at the time of the naturalization she has to be in possession of a valid greencard as well as she has to stay AT LEAST ONE MORE YEAR overseas after the naturalization.

You probably misunderstood this and your lawyer was not as good informed as he should be.

But I really doubt that you can get the refund on your money back because people can tell you anything they want (sad but true) but fact is that you have to

gather the information to make sure that the informations are correct!

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

I have never ever heard of someone getting a refund of USCIS fee, for any reason whatsoever.

The fee is not for naturalization; it's for accepting your application and making a decision on it, which they did.

If people could rely on free USCIS information to reliably determine whether or not they're eligible for naturalization, then that would put the immigration lawyers out of business.

I can appreciate that you've been wronged, and I do suggest you work with your senators and representative. It may be that nothing will come of it, but I'm SURE nothing will come of it if you don't complain. Maybe your complaint, when added to a bunch of others, will eventually cause some action to be taken that'll save some future person from going through the same situation. Maybe they'll one day clarify and/or simplify the law.

I wish you luck in becoming the first one I know of to get a refund, but realistically, I don't think your chances are good.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I think you might have misunderstood the circumstances that you are eligible for the US Citizenship.

You (your wife) is eligible at your 3rd year anniversary since she became a greencard holder

OR

if you are outside the US on military orders she does not have to meet this 3 years requirement BUT at the time of the naturalization she has to be in possession of a valid greencard as well as she has to stay AT LEAST ONE MORE YEAR overseas after the naturalization.

You probably misunderstood this and your lawyer was not as good informed as he should be.

But I really doubt that you can get the refund on your money back because people can tell you anything they want (sad but true) but fact is that you have to

gather the information to make sure that the informations are correct!

I never brought up the refund question because recall reading some five years ago, any errors, miss answered questions, incorrect answers can reject your form with NO refund. And with over $2,000.00 in fees involved, elected to hire a top notch immigration attorney and was dead curious how he answered some of the questions that tripped my brain.

I have no experience with the USCIS with a denied application, so far, everything went through, but with other government agencies, if you do not agree with the decision, you get a piece of paper telling you how to appeal it. Did you receive anything like that? From what you said, I would put my emphasis on an appeal.

First off the requirement for length of continuous residence is only 3 years if you have been married to the same US citizen for all three years. The requirement for spouses of military personell is different. I believe the time spent out of the country on assignment can still be used. Read the instructions for the N-400 carefully. It sounds like the adjucating officer may have been mistaken. I doubt your elected public official can help you but it might be a good idea to talk to an experienced immigration attorney. I seriously doubt you will ever get your money back. Like someone else said, the fee is for processing your case not a favorable outcome.

Carl: Portland Oregon, USA / Bing: Nanning, Guangxi, China

filed I-129 at NSC 05/02/03...NOA-1 05/05/03...NOA 2 11/07/03...Cleared NVC 12/05/03...P-3 received 1/15/04...P-4 03/03/04...Interview 04/13/04...blue slip issued 04/13/04...go to china to overcome 04/23/04 submit overcome 04/28/04...visa approved 04/29/04...Married 06/01/04...Applied for Bing's SSN 07/15/04...SSN received 07/19/04...Filed AOS & received EAD 07/28/04...AOS interview 10/19/04....Welcome to America letter 11/1/04...Green Card arrives 11/06/04...Sent in I-751 to remove green card conditions 10/02/06...Received NOA for I-751 10/23/06... Card production ordered 5/10/07...Approval notice sent 5/16/07 ... Ten year green card arrived 5/17/07... mailed application for citizenship 01/29/08... NOA for N-400 recieved 02/13/08...Biometrics letter 02/15/08...NOA for citizenship interview arrived 05/23/08...Citizenship test 07/09/08...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
I feel like I am all alone and helpless so I would like to have your advise. This is in regards to the recent denial of my application for Citizenship, received on early April, 2008.

I respect the decision, and I am not appealing. However, USCIS officers let me to believe I was eligible for naturalization, and this information prompted me to prematurely begin the application process for citizenship.

On two separate accounts, USCIS officers in different locations informed me that I was eligible for citizenship due to my status as a spouse of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces. On January, 2007, at the Seattle International Airport, a USCIS Officer informed me of my eligibility and that the required residency period of 5 years should be waived. I later confirmed this information with an immigration lawyer as well. Yet I accompanied my spouse, now retired from the military, to an oversea naval station from May, 2004, through January, 2007, where he was stationed on military assignment. For this reason, I was uncertain of my eligibility. My husband and I visited the USCIS Chula Vista, CA, office in July, 2007, to verify my eligibility. We presented documents of my spouse's military assignment, and the officer clearly defined that my marital status conferred my eligibility without fulfilling the required 5-year residency. Based on that information, I submitted my application for citizenship on July, 2007.

On April, at the USCIS San Jose Office, my interview and test for citizenship was conducted. I passed the English writing and U.S. History Test. I presented documentation and a detailed letter explaining my absence to the officer who conducted my interview. However after the test, the officer notified me that a decision cannot yet be made about my application because he was uncertain about which section of the naturalization act my case would apply to.

Then few days later, I received a letter stating that I am ineligible for U.S. Citizenship because I did not meet the required 5 years residency period. This decision conflicts with information provided by the officers in Seattle and Chula Vista. To clarify the matter, I immediately made an appointment at the USCIS San Jose office, since I was given 30 days from the date on the notice to appeal the decision.

I went to the appointment on April 18, to speak with USCIS Authorities and resolve this conflict. I asked how such conflicting information could be given and for instructions on obtaining an administrative review to correct these errors. So far, I have received no answers regarding my case. After speaking with three officers, I was finally informed that the supervisor who could handle my case was in a meeting and unavailable. My case would be forwarded, and I could expect a response from the supervisor by Wednesday, April 23. I was told the director Francis D. Siciliano made the decision on my case. It was confirmed that my record and files were kept at that office, but obtaining access to the files would take several days. As of May 27, no representative from the USCIS San Jose office has contacted me.

I respect the decision that I am currently ineligible for naturalization. However, the fact that I was given inaccurate information by various USCIS Authorities cannot be disregarded. So I have wrote a letter to USCIS San Jose Office, requesting a full refund or a credit of the $400 application processing fee and explaining the reasoning, but they demanded me to pay another $605.00 fee for requesting for a hearing on the decision given on my application. I feel that I am being penalized due to inaccurate information, as detailed above. I was given 30 days to submit an appeal, yet I am not receiving timely assistance with respect to this deadline. The naturalization process should be fair, consistent, and timely. All USCIS officers in all offices should possess current, accurate, and correct information pertaining to U.S. citizenship. As stated by both Title 8 of the Code of Federal Regulations and the Immigration and Nationality Act, all documentation should be reviewed thoroughly to insure that an applicant meets all requirements prior to submitting an application for citizenship.

Obviously, those lower authorities at the information windows cannot help me or probably not even authorized to say anything on a complicated case like mine, I really think I need to address this to the other level or associate, not to the local USCIS who made the decision. Is there any associate? or how could I find the people in this regard? Could the National Benefits Center be the one I can to speak to? Does anyone go through the same type of refund collection issue? I did contacted a couple of lawyers, but they all said they are not accepting new cases at this moment. I am really ready to drop this case, to just let it go and give the $400 tuition in life. But one last time, I want to see how far I can take this.

As helpless as I am now, any information and advise will be greatly appreciated. :crying: Thank you for reading.

Let me clarify something... Do you have conditional greencard at least? Do you have your husband stationed (continous) or at least a yeaR overseas for a year at the time of the interview?

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If your spouse was stationed with the U.S. military overseas and you accompanied your spouse, were you living on base during that time? This might be deemed U.S. soil as it is afterall a military installation. I would contact your congressman and point out that your spouse was proudly serving their country and that you were with your spouse during their time in the service. I can't imagine after hearing about how they want to grant amnesty to countless millions of illegals that they wouldn't be willing to hear your story, one of attempting to gain citizenship through the legal channels. Contact your congressman time and time again, don't give up!!! By the way, service members SHOULD NOT be penalized and have their rights taken away by serving their country, their country should be bending over backwards to accomodate each member in the armed services.

2005-07-20 Sent Xiang first email

2005-11-19 Met Xiang in Nanning

2005-11-25 Asked for Xiang's hand in marriage

2006-02-21 Date I-129F Sent

2006-02-24 Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2006-03-15 Applied for Emergency Expedite

2006-04-03 Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2006-04-25 Date packet was sent from NVC to Guangzhou, China

2006-07-07 Date Xiang recieved Packet #3 from Guangzhou, China

2006-07-08 Date Xiang sent Packet #3 to the U.S. Consulate

2006-07-27 Date Xiang recieved request for biographical information on our daughter

2006-07-27 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate

2006-08-17 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate, again!

2006-08-21 Date Xiang called, faxed and mailed the U.S. Consulate the biographical information

2006-08-22 Email from the U.S. Consulate, they FINALLY received the G-325A form for our daughter!

2006-08-22 Waiting patiently for Packet #4 to arrive, bring my soulmate to my open arms!!!

2006-08-25 Packet #4 sent out from the U.S. Consulate, in transit to my baby!!!

2006-08-29 11:25pm Email from the U.S. Consulate, the interview date is October 17th!

2006-09-29 Medical examination for Xiang and our daughter Qi. Interview is just around the corner!

2006-10-16 11:15pm VISA APPROVED!!!!

2006-10-29 Xiang and Qi arrived in Detroit, immigrations 2 1/2 hours, finally holding my sweetheart in my arms.

2006-11-05 Exchanging our vows, what a beautiful day for our wedding!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.