ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is the new Canuck EI Thread, taking up where the former forum left off. The archived thread can be found here:

Old Forum Canuck EI Thread

Any continued discussion should be in this thread.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

After reading through the old thread I just want to make sure I have this right...

- My last day of work will be March 24, moving on March 30

- The payroll dept will have my ROE ready on that day. She will put 'Quit' and then 'Relocation for Anticipated Marriage' in the comments section

- I apply online (do I do this before I move or after?)

- Send in copy of K1 Visa/I94/ROE

Am I doing good so far? :huh:

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
After reading through the old thread I just want to make sure I have this right...

- My last day of work will be March 24, moving on March 30

- The payroll dept will have my ROE ready on that day. She will put 'Quit' and then 'Relocation for Anticipated Marriage' in the comments section

- I apply online (do I do this before I move or after?)

- Send in copy of K1 Visa/I94/ROE

Am I doing good so far? :huh:

Yes for all... and you can do it before you leave... just be sure that you put in the address where you will be in the US.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You should send the original ROE (keep a copy for yourself). Also send a copy of the marriage certificate to show the anticipated marriage actually happened.

Feb. 4/05 - Sent I-129F (Vermont)

Feb. 9/05 - NOA1

April 6/05 - NOA2

May 12/05 - Packet 3 (second one, the first was lost in the mail)

May 19/05 - Police certificate (RCMP London, ON)

May 20/05 - Packet 4 with interview set on July 26/2005

May 25/05 - Medical in Toronto (dr. Seiden)

July 26/05 - Interview in Montreal (successful)

Aug. 15/05 - Visa and the brown envelope in hand

Sept. 28/05 - Moved to the U.S.A. (Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) POE, asked for and got temp. EAD stamp on I-94)

Oct. 6/05 - Civil wedding ceremony

Oct. 8/05 - Religious wedding ceremony

Oct. 13/05 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

Oct. 14/05 - Applied for SSN

Oct. 22/05 - Received SSN card in the mail

Oct. 24/05 - NOA for AP received (issued Oct. 21)

Oct. 25/05 - NOA's for AOS/EAD received (issued Oct. 21)

Nov. 4/05 - Appointment letter for AOS fingerprints/bio for Nov. 15/2005

Nov. 15/05 - Fingerprints/bio taken for AOS and EAD

Dec. 19/05 - EAD/AP approved

Dec. 27/05 - Received EAD card/AP

Jan. 28/06 - Appointment letter for AOS interview (set on March 15, 2006)

Mar. 15/06 - AOS interview (successful)

Mar. 18/06 - "Welcome to the United States of America" letter

Mar. 25/06 - Received Green Card (good for 2 years)

Dec. 18/07 - Sent I-751 to VSC

Jan. 03/08 - NOA

Feb. 7/08 - Biometrics

Oct. 28/08 - I-751 approved (on-line status)

Nov. 3/08 - Received in the mail the new 10 year GC

Feb. 1/10 - Sent N-400

Feb. 8/10 - NOA

Mar. 24/10 - Fingerprints

May 11/10 - Interview

June 18/10 - US Citizenship Oath

Timeline

Thanks!

And now for the tricky part...

Has anyone filed using their green card/I-551 stamp instead of their EAD?

I'm very lucky to be going through the San Antonio office, which takes 2-4 months for an AOS interview. I will not be applying for my EAD because of this.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Timeline

You should apply within 4 weeks after leaving work and send the supporting documents later, when you have them.

Feb. 4/05 - Sent I-129F (Vermont)

Feb. 9/05 - NOA1

April 6/05 - NOA2

May 12/05 - Packet 3 (second one, the first was lost in the mail)

May 19/05 - Police certificate (RCMP London, ON)

May 20/05 - Packet 4 with interview set on July 26/2005

May 25/05 - Medical in Toronto (dr. Seiden)

July 26/05 - Interview in Montreal (successful)

Aug. 15/05 - Visa and the brown envelope in hand

Sept. 28/05 - Moved to the U.S.A. (Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) POE, asked for and got temp. EAD stamp on I-94)

Oct. 6/05 - Civil wedding ceremony

Oct. 8/05 - Religious wedding ceremony

Oct. 13/05 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

Oct. 14/05 - Applied for SSN

Oct. 22/05 - Received SSN card in the mail

Oct. 24/05 - NOA for AP received (issued Oct. 21)

Oct. 25/05 - NOA's for AOS/EAD received (issued Oct. 21)

Nov. 4/05 - Appointment letter for AOS fingerprints/bio for Nov. 15/2005

Nov. 15/05 - Fingerprints/bio taken for AOS and EAD

Dec. 19/05 - EAD/AP approved

Dec. 27/05 - Received EAD card/AP

Jan. 28/06 - Appointment letter for AOS interview (set on March 15, 2006)

Mar. 15/06 - AOS interview (successful)

Mar. 18/06 - "Welcome to the United States of America" letter

Mar. 25/06 - Received Green Card (good for 2 years)

Dec. 18/07 - Sent I-751 to VSC

Jan. 03/08 - NOA

Feb. 7/08 - Biometrics

Oct. 28/08 - I-751 approved (on-line status)

Nov. 3/08 - Received in the mail the new 10 year GC

Feb. 1/10 - Sent N-400

Feb. 8/10 - NOA

Mar. 24/10 - Fingerprints

May 11/10 - Interview

June 18/10 - US Citizenship Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

contact the Residents out of Canada office in Belleville...you might save some time there...I changed my address online as I had filed previous to leaving and that slowed things down added to the fact that my file also had to be transferred. I'm not sure if you can file online then.

Thanks!

And now for the tricky part...

Has anyone filed using their green card/I-551 stamp instead of their EAD?

I'm very lucky to be going through the San Antonio office, which takes 2-4 months for an AOS interview. I will not be applying for my EAD because of this.

I thought the same thing 'cus we went through San Antonio - We finally got our appointment a year later when I made an infopass appointment enquiring why we were STILL waiting.

Good Luck hope you don't have any problems.

~Silent Whispers ~

My Book of Poetry

November 18th, 2004 ~ Sent AOS paperwork to San Antonio District Office.

December 29th ~ received reciept for AOS application and notice for fingerprints.

January 8th, 2005 ~ Fingerprints Done.

Oct 6th - Contacted Constituent Liaison.

Made Infopass appt. for 1st Dec. and later that day received a call from San Antonio office and during that phonecall they decided to interview us on 1st Dec. - wow

Dec 1st - AOS Interview! - Succeful interview, but one of my Sons still has to wait for FBI clearance as he turned 14 during AOS application processing.

April 27th, 2006 green cards received!!

September 6th, 2007 Sent I-751 to TSC

10 year green card received May 18th, 2009 (we finally got there!) finally dealt with by our local office.

~ "Let Passion be your energy ~ Truth your weapon and Trust your shield" ~S.E.~

Timeline

I applied online from the USA. I called the EI 1-800 #, talked to a EI rep, gave them my email addy, and they sent me instructions on how to fill out the application from the USA. Thier computer software does not rcognize a USA address so on section of the online form that asked for my last CDn address I had to put doen 1N. Front St. Box 4800, Belleville, ON K8N 5E2. But that was back in Jan 2005 and things may have changed!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Phone #'s to reach EI are Toll free - 1877-486-1650 and not free-613-969-3479 or 613-969-3482

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

my EI T4E arrived today!!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I've been reading this info and my head hurts!

I'm confused about something.... in order to qualify for EI, you best apply soon after arriving, right? But you also need to be authorized to work in order to apply. But EAD's can take up to 90 days to get....

what am I missing here? The answer is obvous and I am just not getting it, right?

(I'm trying to figure out if I should quit my job (and try for EI) or take a year of absence and keep the job security should we decide to move here... no point quitting if I an't get EI...)

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Timeline

See my comments on this on page 10 of the old forum thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.p...ic=33210&st=135

In short, apply for EI so you're in the system. They allow for the fact that you cannot legally work in the US, but in order to ensure you get the maximum weeks (or in some cases the weeks that you need to qualify for the benefits) you need to submit your info.

You can always call them to clarify what you need to do. They're pretty helpful. :)

edit: And it's correct that you can't collect EI until you have your EAD. In my case the very very nice case worker backdated my application to the day I left Canada (about 6 months before my EAD) so I'd get benefits at all.

Edited by ceriserose

Timeline

First off I was surprised to read that I am eligible to collect EI when I move down to the USA.

I understand from reading on VJ that it is good to get the claim going prior to leaving Canada .. I have a few questions regarding this.

1) Even if you started your claim in Canada before you left, you need your EAD before you can start collecting this money right ??

2) Once you get your EAD you send a copy to EI and you start collecting from the date on your EAD and not the day you opened your claim back in Canada (which could be 2-3 months prior) ??

3) You are eligible to for a maximum of 36 weeks or until you find a job ??

4) So in a sence EI is only useful for the time were you are eiligle to work in the US and are actively looking for employment there ??

Sorry to ask some stupid questions here as I don't have any experience in claiming EI ... I have been lucky enough to have the same job for 16 years since I was 19 years old right out of college ...

Thank you in advance ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Timeline
1) Even if you started your claim in Canada before you left, you need your EAD before you can start collecting this money right ??

Correct. You're on a K1 like I was...so essentially because on a K1 you *can* get your EAD when you cross the border, they consider you eligible to work. That is regardless of whether or not you actually *get* the document. I didn't, so was ineligible to work, so didn't apply. It almost cost me my benefits altogether. I would suggest that you call the toll free number posted above (I think flames9 posted it) and review your exact situation with them for timing.

2) Once you get your EAD you send a copy to EI and you start collecting from the date on your EAD and not the day you opened your claim back in Canada (which could be 2-3 months prior) ??

One of the questions you answer on the weekly timecard you send back to EI is if you were able and willing to work. Without an EAD you are unable to work. Again, because I kind of did mine backwards, I'd ask HRDC *exactly* what you need to file when.

3) You are eligible to for a maximum of 36 weeks or until you find a job ??

The amount you are paid and for how long is dependent on how much salary you were paid in a specific amount of weeks prior to not being employed. In my case, I was eligible for maximum $$ benefits but for 22 weeks total. I received 8 weeks of benefits before I started a full time job.

4) So in a sence EI is only useful for the time were you are eiligle to work in the US and are actively looking for employment there ??

Yes. Although as I said above, there's some weirdness about the K1...HRDC considers you eligible based on the K1 'theory' but in practice not every POE gives an EAD stamp when processing your K1. So if I were you I'd call and ask, using exact dates (if you have them) of when you're stopping work, when you're moving to the US, and what will happen if you get your EAD from the POE and you have work stoppage or if you don't get your EAD until after you marry and are adjusting status.

Hope that helps. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.