ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would call them and ask them some questions ... go to www.servicecanada.ca for all of the information

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

I just called and asked some questions and she said that they look at how much you've worked in the last 52 weeks and determine if you're eligible that way.

Does anyone know what the cutoff for minimum number of hours is to qualify? Just curious.

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I just called and asked some questions and she said that they look at how much you've worked in the last 52 weeks and determine if you're eligible that way.

Does anyone know what the cutoff for minimum number of hours is to qualify? Just curious.

Seems to be between 420 and 700 depending on where you live:

The qualifying period is the shorter of :

the 52-week period immediately before the start date of a claim, or

the period since the start of a previous EI claim if that claim had started during the 52 week-period.

Most people will need between 420 and 700 insurable hours of work in their qualifying period to qualify, depending on the unemployment rate in their region at the time of filing their claim for benefits. To find out this number you can enter your postal code here

In some instances, a minimum of 910 hours in the qualifying period may be needed to qualify.

and when I give my notice, I've gotta tell the girl that does payroll to write that I quit but to move for my spouse, right??

SHe's so retarded and she just started doing the office paperwork for the clinic so I'm sure she's gonna think I'm trying to run a scam and that I don't qualify.

sigh

and she's gonna say "if that's true, .... still he's not your spouse yet!!"

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

If its not on ur ROE, its not a huge deal. Wasnt on mine!! I just stated on the cover letter I sent in that i left to be with my spouse

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

They are giving me a hell of a time. They cut off my benefits because they "couldn't get ahold of me", yet they sent me mail and I put my new address and phone number on the PAPER I handed in. I swear, someone there is an idiot and the more ####### that happens, the more I am beginning to like my new home. The Canadian government are a bunch of incompetent idiots.

I believe I should gte all the money that they owe me though so I am appealing. I have the law on my side. Wish me luck. Thanks. Good luck to you all.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Timeline

The do have to be able to get a hold of you to ensure ur looking for work!! You can thank all the idiots that just sit back and claim EI and don't bother looking for work. Thats one of the tricks for the slackers--they dont answer the phone or reply back via mail!!

Good luck on the appeal! I had to appeal mine as they deemed me unelgible for benefits ( i quit tghe military after 12 yrs) and I won. Best of luck

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

The do have to be able to get a hold of you to ensure ur looking for work!! You can thank all the idiots that just sit back and claim EI and don't bother looking for work. Thats one of the tricks for the slackers--they dont answer the phone or reply back via mail!!

Good luck on the appeal! I had to appeal mine as they deemed me unelgible for benefits ( i quit tghe military after 12 yrs) and I won. Best of luck

Thank you.

Well, of course they have to be able to get ahold of you. The point is, they didn't try as I gave them my phone nuimber and address. They tried to say that I didn't even give any contact info and it was right on the page I handed in. I also received something in the mail from them at this address. They never called me one time. I have an answering machine so they could have left a message. I will win.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

This may have been addressed in the old thread or may be fairly obvious but will you still qualify for EI if you have *ahem* a year of back taxes owing?

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Met: 2005-10-05 at best friend's wedding in Key West

K1

I-129F Sent : 2006-12-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-12-11

I-129F RFE(s) : 2007-03-08

RFE Reply(s) : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-04-04

Packet 3 Received : 2007-05-04

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-05-11

Added to MTL Waiting List: 2007-05-17

Medical in Toronto: 2007-08-08

Called MTL: 2007-08-08 - told to expect interview Sept. or Oct.

Emailed MTL on 2007-08-22 INTERVIEW DATE: October 17, 2007 at 9:30am!!!

Delay in processing due to needing a New Zealand Police Certificate

Visa in hand: 2007-12-19

POE at Peace Bridge - Christmas Day, 2007!

Wedding in Las Vegas - February 11, 2008

AOS

AOS Package Sent: 2008-03-04

Packaged Received in Chicago: 2008-03-05

Received NOA1: 2008-03-10

Biometrics Appt: 2008-04-02

Timeline

Thats a good question,never seen that on here, but I bet if u called EI they could tell ya. My hunch (and only a hunch) if you have an outstanding amount of $$$$ due to the govt, they will grab it!!

Thats a good question,never seen that on here, but I bet if u called EI they could tell ya. My hunch (and only a hunch) if you have an outstanding amount of $$$$ due to the govt, they will grab it!!

I'll check it out but I have a feeling that would happen as well. Even so, I don't actually owe that much so I guess it's one way to pay off my taxes! If I received my full claim I would hopefully still end up ahead.

Met: 2005-10-05 at best friend's wedding in Key West

K1

I-129F Sent : 2006-12-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-12-11

I-129F RFE(s) : 2007-03-08

RFE Reply(s) : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-04-04

Packet 3 Received : 2007-05-04

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-05-11

Added to MTL Waiting List: 2007-05-17

Medical in Toronto: 2007-08-08

Called MTL: 2007-08-08 - told to expect interview Sept. or Oct.

Emailed MTL on 2007-08-22 INTERVIEW DATE: October 17, 2007 at 9:30am!!!

Delay in processing due to needing a New Zealand Police Certificate

Visa in hand: 2007-12-19

POE at Peace Bridge - Christmas Day, 2007!

Wedding in Las Vegas - February 11, 2008

AOS

AOS Package Sent: 2008-03-04

Packaged Received in Chicago: 2008-03-05

Received NOA1: 2008-03-10

Biometrics Appt: 2008-04-02

Timeline

exactly, 1 way or another they will get their $$$,lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
They are giving me a hell of a time. They cut off my benefits because they "couldn't get ahold of me", yet they sent me mail and I put my new address and phone number on the PAPER I handed in. I swear, someone there is an idiot and the more ####### that happens, the more I am beginning to like my new home. The Canadian government are a bunch of incompetent idiots.

I believe I should gte all the money that they owe me though so I am appealing. I have the law on my side. Wish me luck. Thanks. Good luck to you all.

Just wanted to say i had a friend who just applied for welfare (different situation but dealing with CDN gov) - she was denied right off the bat and her adviser said - appeal it.. that's the way the system works - the squeeky wheel gets the grease and they don't expect you to appeal - once you do they will give it to you... a couple of weeks later she had her $$..

Best of luck!! :thumbs:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

So after reading this, I'm a wee bit confused. I'm leaving exactly a week and a half after my last day at work, so should I wait until I hit the US before I file for EI? I don't understand this "two week period" thing, and I'm also not sure whether I'll be eligible since I don't know if I made the minimum cutoff point for hours.

So much stuff to understand -_-

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

In the Toronto or Mississauga area, you need 600 something hours to qualify in the 52 week period (as I understand it)

I'm not sure if I made the cut too cuz I wasn't working for about 3 months earlier this year after I relocated to mississauga to help my parents out with some family health stuff.. (wasn't collecting EI)

I don't understand the "two week period" either..................... -_-

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.