Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

I was going to say...this makes me nervous to hear. Chicago customs is quite far away from where visitors can "hover" so I don't know how they could simply pull me in if need be. My fiance is going to have a letter from me to them if they need to contact me...but we are saving everything we can for the paperwork. Neither of us has the money it would take to buy an immediate return ticket for him to go home to the UK if he was denied entry (unless British Airways just charged the $275 fee). But it's Jake's first time even on a plane! I know this forum is always filled with worriers...but I am quite losing sleep about it! :'(

Please don't worry so much. I flew through Chicago O'Hare 5 times before I flew for the last time to get married, Two of those times were after we had submitted our K1 petition. I only had to show my return ticket on my last trip. The other 4 times, they asked for nothing although I had a large pack of stuff which showed I had to go back to the UK (although that pack was quote slim by my last trip!) Read this page and prepare for the trip - http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1visit. He needs to show the person at CBP that he has to go back to the UK. Most people who are denied are unprepared and have no evidence that shows they have to go back. Some people even try to enter the US on a one way ticket! That is not allowed under the VWP (it is allowed if you have a B2 visa but might appear suspicious).

My understanding is that if you are denied entry to the US, it is your airline's responsibility to return you to the UK. They will use the return portion of your ticket to do this - that is, you will be put on the next available flight which has a spare seat.

Nobody needs to give you a slap. Your worries are natural and I went through them myself. It is only experience which has shown me that my worries were unnecessary.

Edited by Anna Grant

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

thank you :)

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

6/16/14 Embassy Interview--Approved!!!!

7/11/14 Marriage :)

7/25/14 AOS + Work Authorization Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

7/31/14 NOA1--Electronic Notification

8/26/14 Biometrics Appointment--Indianapolis

9/18/14 EAD approved--Electronic Notification

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

5/5/15 RFE (Requested another certified copy of marriage license)

5/14/15 Submitted Materials for RFE

5/28/15 Greencard Approved/In Production!!!!!

My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you. - Keats

What USCIS-es you only makes you stronger.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, my fiancé came to Canada a few days ago (US to Canada) with a one way ticket. Border guy asked how we met how long he was staying, and said have a good time. Now, in 10 days we try driving back to states with the dogs, I'm sure it'll be a bit different...By the way, we're going by ferry Victoria to Port Angeles.

Entered the US today for the first time since we submitted our K1 (received NOA2 last week) ... It went like this:

Purpose of visit (me: February break vacation)
How long? (Me: a week).
Last time in US? (Me: Christmas)
Who do you know there? (Me: Boyfriend lives there)
How did meet? (Me: Online)
How long have you been together? (Ummmm almost 3 years)
Sooooo when are you getting married? (Here is where I kind of stumbled... In my mind I'm like, does he know I have a pending k1? Is this a trick question? Gah what do I say??? Do I bring up the k1?!?!? Helpppoooo... my response ended up being "like uhh uhh um uh eventually?" LOL! Which in retrospect made no sense).

Apparently my awkward "uh um uh eventually" was good enough, he kind of laughed to himself and stamped my passport, b2 that expires in 6 months. Did not ask to see any of the paperwork (ties to CAnada) that I had brought.

Which made me wonder, can customs officers see pending visas?

Timeline

Entered the US today for the first time since we submitted our K1 (received NOA2 last week) ... It went like this:

Sooooo when are you getting married? (Here is where I kind of stumbled... In my mind I'm like, does he know I have a pending k1? Is this a trick question? Gah what do I say??? Do I bring up the k1?!?!? Helpppoooo... my response ended up being "like uhh uhh um uh eventually?" LOL! Which in retrospect made no sense).

Apparently my awkward "uh um uh eventually" was good enough, he kind of laughed to himself and stamped my passport, b2 that expires in 6 months. Did not ask to see any of the paperwork (ties to CAnada) that I had brought.

Thank you for the info.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I am not sure if they can or can't. This was my experience last time I entered the US which was on Jan 24 2014 on a VWP.

It was my second trip after we had filed our I-130 (still no NOA2!) First trip was in Sep 2013 for 3.5 weeks and second one in Jan 2014.

Purpose of your visit? Vacaion

How long are you staying? 12 days

And then the officer proceeded to read stuff on his screen for at least 5 mins! I don't know if he was looking at my past trips, (7 trips since Oct 2011) or if he could see that we filed for a CR1.

He made no comments, did not ask any more questions. Stamped my passport and I was allowed in.

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

Timeline

Before I was even aware of the K1 process and my fiance and I were simply dating, I traveled to the UK. When I said I was visiting my boyfriend, I was under the hot seat with the customs officer. He asked me everything from how did we meet to how much do we make to do we rent or own etc. Then he shocked me when he asked, "When is the wedding?" I stuttered--we're just dating! There isn't a wedding....? After seeing my return ticket, he seemed satisfied with this. Now it is UK not US customs, but it makes me think that it is simply a question whether you are just dating or engaged to see if you have intention to marry that trip. We certainly had NOTHING pending......

Then again....who knows?!

Edited by paddington_bear

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

Paddington, I think it matters a lot who you get when you go through. When J came to the UK to see me, she wasn't allowed in the country, despite having children back home (not considered enough of a tie to America, apparently), and I have worried every single time I've crossed the border since. This process - it never occurs to you before you go through this that they'd ever turn you away!! The UK Customs people were idiots, wouldn't listen to reason and in my complaint letters and appeals to them, they contradicted themselves over and over. In the end, it's a lost plane ticket and reservations, but it was to have been our first meeting, and it still hurts a lot even 30 months later. Now our process is almost over, it hurts less, but I will believe forevermore that they were so very, very wrong in their assessment.

However, this is about entry to the US, so I'll stop going on about that ;)

In any case, if he can show ties to the UK, he'll probably be fine, but of course you'll be worried. It's only natural. If it helps at all, my K1 was processed and I had been for my medical before I visited this last time, and I didn't get asked anything at all. And I mean, I was asked if I was here on vacation and that was it.

Have a return ticket, proof of employment or residency in the UK; I also brought my NOA2, to show that we were going through the process legally, I think that helps, personally. If you can prove you know the rules, prove you're following them correctly and show a history of leaving when you're supposed to, all of that will work in his favour. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Likely he'll be fine, but your worries are natural, and don't feel silly for having them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone! This is my first post in visajourney but I've always been reading your posts and thanks for all the help and support!

I have a question:

My American fiance and I want to apply for the K-1 visa at the beginning of March. I want to go to the US to visit him in May and my question is; someone told me that it takes 5 months for our visa to be processed and when I'm entering the US, I can just tell the officer that I'm visiting a friend and not mention my fiance since they wouldn't know about the K-1 visa we applied in March yet. So should I just say I'm visiting a friend or my fiance???

But it's very risky! I don't know what to do!

I already have a tourist visa which is valid for 10 years, and I visited US last summer and stayed for 3 weeks. We are trying to do everything legally and I'm very stressed and worried about the procedure.

Thanks in advance! smile.png

K1 Journey: AOS Journey:

March 25, 2014: I-129f sent. April 16, 2015: Date filed.

April 1, 2014: NOA1 received & check cashed. April 22, 2015: NOA received.
April 2, 2014: Alien Registration Number changed.
Sep 16, 2014: NOA2 - Petition approved!
Sep 23, 2014: Case shipped to NVC.

Oct 01, 2014: Case arrived at NVC.

Oct 03, 2014: Got our case number!

Oct 06, 2014: Left NVC.

Oct 17, 2014: At the Embassy.

Oct 22, 2014: Packet 3 received.

Nov 03, 2014: Packet 3 sent.

Nov 11, 2014: Medical examination.

Dec 2, 2014: Packet 4 received.

Dec 8, 2014: Interview! (Approved!!!)

Dec 10, 2014: Visa received!!!

Jan 22, 2015: US Entry!

Feb 22, 2015: Happily ever after! :-)

April 16, 2015: Filed Adjustment of STatus.

April 22, 2015: AOS NOA received.

May 14, 2015: Biometrics appointment.

October 09, 2015: AOS approved!

September 05, 2017: Lifting conditions filed.

Not a good idea to visit while on pending K-1.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1247/~/travel-while-k-1-fiance%2Ffiancee-visa-pending

Here ya go; straight from the source.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Timeline

Not a good idea to visit while on pending K-1.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1247/~/travel-while-k-1-fiance%2Ffiancee-visa-pending

Here ya go; straight from the source.

They say it's not "advised" but from everyone's experience here, it seems like most people get through as long as they have proof of ties and aren't staying incredibly long/raise flags. I'm surprised you would advise similarly seeing as how your profile states that your fiance came, was pulled into secondary, and made it out to visit just fine.....can I ask why the change of heart?

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

They say it's not "advised" but from everyone's experience here, it seems like most people get through as long as they have proof of ties and aren't staying incredibly long/raise flags. I'm surprised you would advise similarly seeing as how your profile states that your fiance came, was pulled into secondary, and made it out to visit just fine.....can I ask why the change of heart?

He came and visited me three times BEFORE we filed for K-1.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

You'll be fine. Take the advice here to travel with plenty of "ties-home" documentation and there should be no issue. Having a pending petition can actually be great data for the officer, since it shows you're spending time and money to do the process properly (have your NOA1 in your "ties" paperwork). Some folks get pulled into secondary (and then can show all their good documentation) but in reality, it's not that common.

Worst case scenario? You get put back on the plane. It won't harm the petition.

I went to the USA 3 times with a pending petition. Zero bother.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

honestly, since starting this process, I have felt stress, anxiety, fear, pessimism, and confusion. Seriously, there are tourists in America ALL THE TIME. I never even considered that there would be problems with someone entering the US after obtaining a tourist visa. Why on earth would the US turn away someone because they have a K-1 visa in process. Don't they insist that we prove we have an ongoing, bonafide relationship? If not for this website, I'd never have thought to have to prove that the intention was to go home to Ireland until this process is legally finished and the visa is in hand. :-/

Edit to say: I have also felt hope, excitement, and happiness. lol

Edited by Tina and Johan

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know, I've visited several countries and it never entered my mind that I would be questioned, and I never have been. Now, all the sudden I feel like a criminal. We're going to try border crossing tomorrow- me, my American fiancé, both my dogs, I'm self employed so no letter from employer. All I have with me is utility bills (no mortgage or lease as I own my house), I have an email from dog insurance company that we're covered on vacation, 2 months emergency medical for me, and they can call my kids who I'm going to visit on my way home, or they can call the housesitter. Hmm, also carrying flour, Coffee Crisp, Red Rose tea, Rogers porridge....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.