Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance is coming from Canada to visit me for the first time since I've filed the K-1. He lives with his parents and the only ties he has to Canada is his university class schedule, would that be enough to convince customs to let him pass? He does have a return ticket as well.

I'd say it's enough, my fiance has come twice with no ties what so ever (for 2 weeks, and then for 3 months). She lives with her parents and does not currently attend university or work. Of course that's just our anecdotal experience so take it with a grain of salt.

NOA1: October 15th 2013

Alien# Change: October 31st 2013

NOA2: February 28th 2014

NVC # Receive: March 26th 2014

Medical: April 3rd 2014

Interview: May 8th 2014

Timeline

My British fiancé is coming through Chicago OHare in early March for two weeks (well, 15 days). I just sent our I-129F so I imagine we will only have our NOA1 by that time. I've read through everyone's helpful experiences--he will have a letter from his employer, his contract, his work scheduled signed by his boss, payslip, rent agreement, phone contract, and a copy of our I-129F and his ETSA ( which was easily approved) and confirmed booking for return on British Airways 15 days later. I also decided to give him a signed letter from me telling the officers yes this is my fiancé, that I will be at the airport to pick him up, and that we are in full awareness of the process and will not be getting married until that process is through. I also give my number so they can call if need be (thanks Houston POE people for the call idea!)

I also know he should just answer the questions and offer no extra info...I'm just such a worrier and don't know what we would do--emotionally or financially--if he was denied entry. Anyone have experience with entering through OHare more recently after you've been engaged and filed the I-129F? I am so nervous!!!!

Thank you :)

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

6/16/14 Embassy Interview--Approved!!!!

7/11/14 Marriage :)

7/25/14 AOS + Work Authorization Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

7/31/14 NOA1--Electronic Notification

8/26/14 Biometrics Appointment--Indianapolis

9/18/14 EAD approved--Electronic Notification

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

5/5/15 RFE (Requested another certified copy of marriage license)

5/14/15 Submitted Materials for RFE

5/28/15 Greencard Approved/In Production!!!!!

My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you. - Keats

What USCIS-es you only makes you stronger.....

My British fiancé is coming through Chicago OHare in early March for two weeks (well, 15 days). I just sent our I-129F so I imagine we will only have our NOA1 by that time. I've read through everyone's helpful experiences--he will have a letter from his employer, his contract, his work scheduled signed by his boss, payslip, rent agreement, phone contract, and a copy of our I-129F and his ETSA ( which was easily approved) and confirmed booking for return on British Airways 15 days later. I also decided to give him a signed letter from me telling the officers yes this is my fiancé, that I will be at the airport to pick him up, and that we are in full awareness of the process and will not be getting married until that process is through. I also give my number so they can call if need be (thanks Houston POE people for the call idea!)

I also know he should just answer the questions and offer no extra info...I'm just such a worrier and don't know what we would do--emotionally or financially--if he was denied entry. Anyone have experience with entering through OHare more recently after you've been engaged and filed the I-129F? I am so nervous!!!!

Thank you smile.png

I'll let you know in a few weeks - my fiance lives in Chicago so I will be flying in for a week visit on Feb 15th- we recently filed our K1 and received the NOA1 mid January. It will be my first visit since filing. My many experiences through O'Hare have been hit and miss - really just depends on the officer. Its been everywhere from getting secondary screening (didn't get denied though) to one guy accidentally saying "welcome home Melissa" and then everything in between. So random. But I still get super nervous every time.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Switzerland
Timeline

My situation is kind of different.

My fiancé and I filed for the K1 visa in December 2013, we didn't receive the NOA1 or a case number because he cancelled the application not too long after. This was a common decision and we had to do it for different personal reasons. Anyway, we will apply again when it's the right time!

USCIS sent him 2 letters and I think one is called "I-175 rejection notice" or something like that, saying that the application was rejected and that he has to submit this letter if he wants to resubmit the application again. He sent me these letters, I should have them in a few days.

I'm going to visit him for 10 days beginning of March. I'll take these letters with me.

I was wondering if the officers at POE can see that we applied for the visa and then got it cancelled. As I wrote, we never received a case number or anything so for me, it's like the USCIS never received our application. Do you know if they can see it or is it like we never applied?

I want to be ready in case they ask me questions about this, I don't want to have problems at the airport!

I will, of course, take with me proofs of my ties in my country, like:

- booking confirmation of my return flight

- my work contract -> do I need a letter from my boss certifying my return date or the contract is sufficient?

- my appartment contract

- insurances

- bank statments

- residency statement

I also have a tourist visa in my passport because I travelled in the USA in 2012 for 4 months. My last visit in the US was in September 2013 (2 weeks).

Thank you for your help!

12.03.2015 - Sent AOS package to USCIS Chicago

12.06.2015 - Package delivered

12.14.2015 - Text received from USCIS; case received

12.17.2015 - NOAs received on my birthday! :)

01.07.2016 - Appointment for biometrics

01.11.2016 - Form I-485 ready to be scheduled for interview

02.17.2016 - EAD/AP approved

02.24.2016 - EAD/AP arrived today

03.18.2016 - Notice for interview scheduled April 20, 2016

04.20.2016 - Green Card Interview

04.26.2016 - Green Card received

End of this journey!

01.2018 - Sent I-751 - 10-year Green Card package

04.25.2019 - I-751 approved 

#prayingformyGC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been through the wringer a few times with the Border Crossings... I have been with my fiancee since Dec 2010...Engaged since March 2013...flying back and forth respectfully ... Given 2 .. I-94s ..been refused 1 time ... Crossed US border Oct ..asked how long I was staying , replied 5 months so they stamped my passport for the full 5 months ...in Dec my fiancee and I returned ti Canada for 1 week at Christmas .. Got denied re-entry into the US due to not enough paperwork proving my ties to Canada ..I didn't think I needed all that because they already stamped my passport in Oct and I still had a few months left . So back to NB WE went ...got proper paperwork and returned to border 4 days later ... Stayed there5 hours ... Given interview..fingerprints..pictures ...warned about proper procedures.. Given an I-94 shortening my stay and papers about the I-129f fiance process ...we file them NEXT WEEK ..hope to get married by Nov...

My fiance wants to come visit for a month while his visa is in process. However if he got denied entry at POE would that screw up our case? He's never been denied entry yet but we've had close calls.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Timeline

My fiance wants to come visit for a month while his visa is in process. However if he got denied entry at POE would that screw up our case? He's never been denied entry yet but we've had close calls.

Close calls ?? Where is your fiance coming from ?

I think good evidence you are returning home is the best thing you can do and be honest.

Paul

He's been threatened to be sent back before. He's from England

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Timeline

He's been threatened to be sent back before. He's from England

I was going to say...this makes me nervous to hear. Chicago customs is quite far away from where visitors can "hover" so I don't know how they could simply pull me in if need be. My fiance is going to have a letter from me to them if they need to contact me...but we are saving everything we can for the paperwork. Neither of us has the money it would take to buy an immediate return ticket for him to go home to the UK if he was denied entry (unless British Airways just charged the $275 fee). But it's Jake's first time even on a plane! I know this forum is always filled with worriers...but I am quite losing sleep about it! :'(

Would you mind explaining what they said was the reason he was nearly denied entry? Was it simply that it was his first time to the states and they didn't believe he had a fiancee there because of it? (Which would be like my case too, given Jake and I met when I was living in Edinburgh for the summer on research leave....perhaps we just ought to have evidence for them that we met in Edinburgh?) Oy. This is harsh.

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

Timeline

I was going to say...this makes me nervous to hear. Chicago customs is quite far away from where visitors can "hover" so I don't know how they could simply pull me in if need be. My fiance is going to have a letter from me to them if they need to contact me...but we are saving everything we can for the paperwork. Neither of us has the money it would take to buy an immediate return ticket for him to go home to the UK if he was denied entry (unless British Airways just charged the $275 fee). But it's Jake's first time even on a plane! I know this forum is always filled with worriers...but I am quite losing sleep about it! :'(

Would you mind explaining what they said was the reason he was nearly denied entry? Was it simply that it was his first time to the states and they didn't believe he had a fiancee there because of it? (Which would be like my case too, given Jake and I met when I was living in Edinburgh for the summer on research leave....perhaps we just ought to have evidence for them that we met in Edinburgh?) Oy. This is harsh.

A return ticket to me the main piece of evidence and a return ticket costs almost the same price as a single. if you think about it a UK resident flying into the US on a one way ticket will ring some bells for the officer.

paul

Timeline

A return ticket to me the main piece of evidence and a return ticket costs almost the same price as a single. if you think about it a UK resident flying into the US on a one way ticket will ring some bells for the officer.

paul

Oh we have a return ticket already booked! And we have evidence that he's scheduled to work only two days after he returns home (to allow for jet lag). I only meant that I heard that if you get denied at POE you have to buy a new return ticket home immediately--and having experience myself in buying last-minute tickets, I know the $275 change of ticket fee for British Airways is only if you have a couple days to wait around and get a ticket. Otherwise, it's thousands of dollars--which we simply don't have. So I'm worried the return ticket (which is for exactly 15 days later...), as well as his employment records and letter from his boss, AND a letter from me on my university letterhead/watermark (I'm a university instructor/PhD Candidate) won't be enough... I am just freaking out at this point. Someone needs to slap me!!!

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

Timeline

Oh we have a return ticket already booked! And we have evidence that he's scheduled to work only two days after he returns home (to allow for jet lag). I only meant that I heard that if you get denied at POE you have to buy a new return ticket home immediately--and having experience myself in buying last-minute tickets, I know the $275 change of ticket fee for British Airways is only if you have a couple days to wait around and get a ticket. Otherwise, it's thousands of dollars--which we simply don't have. So I'm worried the return ticket (which is for exactly 15 days later...), as well as his employment records and letter from his boss, AND a letter from me on my university letterhead/watermark (I'm a university instructor/PhD Candidate) won't be enough... I am just freaking out at this point. Someone needs to slap me!!!

You have some good evidence

If he got denied entry, it would have no impact on his K1 visa process or any further down the line for example AOS, ROC or citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.