nica25

Re-enter US using advance parole

31 posts in this topic

My wife will be traveling with I-512 Advance Parole and we have a couple of questions and concerns.

My wife arrived on a K-1 visa. Adjustment of status was filed after her I-94 expired (40 days out of status). Adjustment of status is now pending.

Does her out of status time present any problems when she reenters using Advance Parole?

Also, my wife has had 2 failed fingerprints which were taken at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Police clearances were requested at her interview and they have have been submitted.

Is it safe for my wife to travel using advance parole?

Thank you in advance.

Safe to travel, no problems.

I guess if it was denied while she was out of the country, that would be not good. You had your interview already? How did it go?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I personally don't trust advance parole. They do make it clear on the application that it does not guarantee reentry. You should ask a lawyer if you are really unsure because you wouldn't want to be denied entry on a technicality.

This does not constitute legal advice.

I was simply stating my opinion on the AP, if the OP feels that they should use it that is up to them as I was just stating my opinion. Personally I wouldn't use it if I knew that was out of status for any amount of time, again that's my opinion. No one on here can guarantee that it is "safe" for them to travel on AP anyway. I just mentioned what the AP instructions say regarding reentry not being guaranteed. As for the AOS it is still pending, neither denied nor approved, so I don't see what that has to do with anything.

If you personally do not trust it, then you personally do not have to use it. Plenty of other people have used AP just fine without issues. As Harpa stated already, if their AOS was not denied, it is safe for them to use the AP they were granted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There is never a guarantee of entry to the US, not even with the green card. You only have the right to enter if you are US citizen.

It doesn't matter if they were out of status for one day, 40 days, or 200 days.

9 FAM 40.92 N2.2 INA 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) Departure At Any Time

The 10-year bar under INA 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) does not contain the same language as the three-year bar under INA 212(a)(9)(i)(I) relating to the alien having departed voluntarily prior to commencement of removal proceedings. Thus, an alien who departs the United States after having been unlawfully present for a period of one year or more subsequent to April 1, 1997, is barred from returning to the United States for 10 years, whether the departure was before, during, or after removal proceedings and whether the alien departed on his or her own initiative or under removal order. The one exception to this rule (see also INA 212(a((9)(B)(v)) is that an alien cannot become inadmissible under INA 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) solely by virtue of a departure and return to the United States undertaken pursuant to a valid grant of advance parole based on the alien’s pending application for adjustment of status. Note that this does not preclude a trip under a grant of advance parole from being considered a “departure” for any other purposes under the INA, nor does it call into question the applicability of any other inadmissibility ground. On the contrary, it is well settled that an alien who leaves the United States and returns under a grant of advance parole is subject to those grounds of inadmissibility that may apply, rather than grounds of deportability, once parole is terminated. (See Matter of Arrabally and Yerrabelly, 25 I&N Dec. 771 (BIA 2012.)

Matter of Arrabally and Yerrabelly.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I personally don't trust advance parole. They do make it clear on the application that it does not guarantee reentry. You should ask a lawyer if you are really unsure because you wouldn't want to be denied entry on a technicality.

I spoke to a top lawyer and she said it is safe to travel even if ones out of status for ten years .

I also found one moderator very rude . The guy was just giving his opinion . Being nice doesn't cost a penny

Edited by subwayguy

@nica25: How & when did you come to know about failed fingerprints? only at the interview?? Hope not!

B'se I am waiting for AoS interview date for almost 25 days from my case status got updated to "testing & interview" & 42 days since biometrics (completed on 12-June-2014). This waiting had made me very anxious. Anything & everything I read scares me!

USCIS - 50days

I-129F Application mailed: 10-July-2013; NOA1 (hard copy): 22-July-2013; NOA2: 29-Aug-2013 (text/email)

NVC: 52 days

NVC received: 15-Oct-2013; Got case #: 16-Oct-2013(phone); In Transit: 17-Oct-2013(CEAC website)

Consulate ~ Medical - POE: 139(+) days

Consulate received: 21-Oct-2013; Packet3 forms sent to Consulate: 29-Oct-2013; Packet4 received: 04-Nov-2013

Medicals completed on 28-Jan-2014; Interview on 10-March-2014; Visa in hand: 24-Apr-2014

GC: 114 days

POE:17-May-2014; Marriage: 19-May-2014 (Got marriage certificate on the same day at Sacramento, CA); I-693 on 20-May-2014

AOS/EAD/AP sent: 22-May-2014; Reached USCIS: 26-May-2014; NOA1: 02-June-2014

Received Biometrics notice: 07-June-2014 for Biometrics on 23-June-2014, 12:00 noon; Early Walk-in Biometrics successfully completed: 12-June-2014

USCIS website AoS status changed to "testing & Interview" : 30-June-2014; EAD/AP Status "Card in production": 04-Aug-2014; USCIS website updated with interview date as 8-Sep-2014 on: 6-Aug-2014.

Received EAD/AP Combo card in mail: 11-Aug-2014

AoS Interview: 8-Sep-2014; Result: APPROVED; USCIS status changed to "card in production"; Received GC by mail: 16-Sep-2014

RoC:

Applied I-751: 14-June-16; NoA: 17-June-16; Letter received on: 22-June-16

Biometrics notice received on 30-Jun-16 ; Biometrics: 12-July-16;

Received RFE dated 04-Aug-17 on 09-Aug-2017; asked house lease or deed, utility bills if applicable, birth cert of children born to this marriage;

Responded on 15-Aug-2017; USCIS received response on 16:Aug-17; Approved: 13-Sep-17; Case Status to "New Card is mailed": 18-Sep-17; Card received in mail: 21-Sep-2017

N-400

Applied online: 12-Nov-2017; Biometrics: 06-Dec-2017; Received interview letter on 09-Oct-18; Interview at SFO: 06-Nov-2018; Approved; Oath Scheduled on 05-Dec-2018; postponed to 16-Jan2019 because of Former President Sr. Bush's funeral; Oath completed on 16-Jan-2019; Applied for US Passport (expedited) on 18-Jan-2019; received Passport : 29-Jan-2019; received NC:01-Feb-2019

Except that no one, especially not me, said anything about being subject to any 10 year, 3 year or whatever bar. As I said before I simply stated my opinion that I wouldn't do it, so there are no facts to argue about because no facts were given other than what you can find in the instructions of the AP. I neither told the OP they would be safe nor that they wouldn't be safe, so I didn't mislead them or give them any wrong information other than my opinion.

There is never a guarantee of entry to the US, not even with the green card. You only have the right to enter if you are US citizen.

It doesn't matter if they were out of status for one day, 40 days, or 200 days.

9 FAM 40.92 N2.2 INA 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) Departure At Any Time

The 10-year bar under INA 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) does not contain the same language as the three-year bar under INA 212(a)(9)(i)(I) relating to the alien having departed voluntarily prior to commencement of removal proceedings. Thus, an alien who departs the United States after having been unlawfully present for a period of one year or more subsequent to April 1, 1997, is barred from returning to the United States for 10 years, whether the departure was before, during, or after removal proceedings and whether the alien departed on his or her own initiative or under removal order. The one exception to this rule (see also INA 212(a((9)(B)(v)) is that an alien cannot become inadmissible under INA 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) solely by virtue of a departure and return to the United States undertaken pursuant to a valid grant of advance parole based on the alien’s pending application for adjustment of status. Note that this does not preclude a trip under a grant of advance parole from being considered a “departure” for any other purposes under the INA, nor does it call into question the applicability of any other inadmissibility ground. On the contrary, it is well settled that an alien who leaves the United States and returns under a grant of advance parole is subject to those grounds of inadmissibility that may apply, rather than grounds of deportability, once parole is terminated. (See Matter of Arrabally and Yerrabelly, 25 I&N Dec. 771 (BIA 2012.)

Matter of Arrabally and Yerrabelly.

If I came back with a "defensive" response is because the same people have been bashing on my posts all day. I'm not like the other ones around here who judge people or make them feel worse when they land in hot water, like the other post of the couple who let their K1 expire. I am allowed to state my opinion on the matter or a fact as long as it's not insulting or judgmental to the OP. He can decide whether or not to consider it, however I wasn't suggesting he consider it either. Also, I did tell the OP to consult a lawyer since he was uneasy about the situation. Only an expert advice should make any person in this situation feel better. If he does and they can assure him they won't have any issues that's great, but if for some reason they would, at least they would know beforehand.

although you may have had good intentions in wanting to help, sometimes posting your opinion when the OP is looking for factual answers, can create fear and confusion. how about next time just saying "cool, thanks for the correction, even if i personally won't be trying it" instead of coming back with a defensive response? otherwise, it just comes across as if you are trying to discourage the OP from traveling, despite there being no real cause for them to worry about doing so.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

1. I am allowed to state my opinion on the matter or a fact as long as it's not insulting or judgmental to the OP.

2. Also, I did tell the OP to consult a lawyer since he was uneasy about the situation. Only an expert advice should make any person in this situation feel better. If he does and they can assure him they won't have any issues that's great, but if for some reason they would, at least they would know beforehand.

1. actually, there is a term for posting opinions that may raise alarm unnecessarily - it is "fear mongering" and i did not use it earlier because it sounded a little harsh, and i am sure that that was not your intention. just a friendly suggestion, since your goal is to help others, instead of demanding your right to express your opinion, why not read up a bit more, gain some awareness of how your opinion could affect the OP, and be more open to corrections from others who have been posting and studying immigration issues for much longer?

2. just to add, a lawyer would not be able to guarantee the OP's re-entry either. it is kind of a non-answer, since most people come here to take advantage of the DIY knowledge and advice available - if indeed a lawyer is necessary, people here would be the first to say so. in this situation, i don't really think consulting a lawyer is necessary, nor would it give the OP any new information that has not been mentioned here by harpa and kaydeecee already. (btw, i do consider harpa and kay experts given the amount of studying and research they both have done into immigration issues).

3. TboneTX made excellent points :thumbs:

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.