vsathyak

K1 visa Interview Questions

10 posts in this topic

Nice list, except it does not have how our visa interview went. Hi. How are you? So you want to go to the US and get married? Good luck.

I think it is interesting and a bit funny the questions you've included about yourself. They might as well ask:

"What is your name?"

"What is your favorite color?"

"What is the air speed of a swallow?"

It is nice to come up with possible questions to be ready, but from what I've seen here on VJ only people from higher fraud countries get the grilling to verify that the relationship is legitamate.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Nice list, except it does not have how our visa interview went. Hi. How are you? So you want to go to the US and get married? Good luck.

I think it is interesting and a bit funny the questions you've included about yourself. They might as well ask:

"What is your name?"

"What is your favorite color?"

"What is the air speed of a swallow?"

It is nice to come up with possible questions to be ready, but from what I've seen here on VJ only people from higher fraud countries get the grilling to verify that the relationship is legitamate.

Dave

Is that an African or European swallow?

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~Moved from K-1 Process to US Embassy and Consulate Forum~~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I'm seeing a LOT of questions about wedding plans... My fiance and I did a lot of research on this process. In reading a lot of forums from VERY stressed out brides-to-be without dates of when their fiance would be allowed here and with the wedding day creeping up on them, we decided we would do the legal courthouse wedding right after he got here, and plan as soon as we knew what date he would be here. That way we could plan stress free and without having to worry about if he was going to be here or not! It would also give us and my family some more time to save for my dream wedding. As of right now, we got our NOA1 yesterday, and don't have any solid wedding plans yet (outside of the legal courthouse wedding). Is this going to be a hinderance in our interviewing process??!!!

I'm seeing a LOT of questions about wedding plans... My fiance and I did a lot of research on this process. In reading a lot of forums from VERY stressed out brides-to-be without dates of when their fiance would be allowed here and with the wedding day creeping up on them, we decided we would do the legal courthouse wedding right after he got here, and plan as soon as we knew what date he would be here. That way we could plan stress free and without having to worry about if he was going to be here or not! It would also give us and my family some more time to save for my dream wedding. As of right now, we got our NOA1 yesterday, and don't have any solid wedding plans yet (outside of the legal courthouse wedding). Is this going to be a hinderance in our interviewing process??!!!

Just so you know, the K-1 visa is typically valid for 6 months depending on the medical time frame and then you have 90 days to get married after entering the US. So you have almost 9 months to plan a wedding AFTER receiving the K-1 visa. So if you really want only one big wedding, wait for the visa to be issued. Call up the venue and all the other people involved and see when you can schedule the big wedding and plan to arrive so that the visa is still valid AND you can get marreid within the 90 day window.

As far as answering the question at the interview, you just be blunt and honest. "Due to the lengthy process and all the unknows, we do not know eactly when we are going to get married, but it will be within 90 days of my arrival in the US." The questions asked depend on the IO and the Embassy/Consulate you have your interview at.

Good luck,

Dave

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

should i be honest when answering the questions? like " Why did you decide to get married in the United States?"

coz the truth is were going to get married in the US just because theres no guarantee that i will be aproved of CR-1 visa if ever that we get married here

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I have a question about past B2 visitor denials. Last year my fiancée tried to visit me here in the US four times to get a B2 and was denied..seems like she did not make enough money to visit the USA? At the interview will this be an issue.

Her last time to try was last year. We got engaged three weeks after that last time.

Any help is appreciated

I have a question about past B2 visitor denials. Last year my fiancée tried to visit me here in the US four times to get a B2 and was denied..seems like she did not make enough money to visit the USA? At the interview will this be an issue.

Her last time to try was last year. We got engaged three weeks after that last time.

Any help is appreciated

You list them on the form and that is it--at least it was for us. People get denied for tourist visas all the time. She may be questioned why 4 times and why you got engaged so soon afterwards. If she come across as desperate to come to the US it may raise a red flag and she may get more scrutiny. As long as your relationship is legit, you will have no problems.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

You list them on the form and that is it--at least it was for us. People get denied for tourist visas all the time. She may be questioned why 4 times and why you got engaged so soon afterwards. If she come across as desperate to come to the US it may raise a red flag and she may get more scrutiny. As long as your relationship is legit, you will have no problems.

Good luck,

Dave

Very true about why soon afterwards. We were of course friends so she listed that on the DS-160 B2 application since 'lovers' is not a politically term I suppose. She was to come here, visit, then go back, then we would have got engaged on the phone.

I will ask her to state it that way. Also, me going twice a year to visit her for over three years now will help I suppose. I enclosed all the photos and boarding passes etc for the Bahamasair airline and hotels

Thanks for the advice

David

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.