healthteacher

married in us, left,then returned on vwp. Can i file a I-130 and adjust in US?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hypothetical question here. Someone enters US on VWP and decides to marry a US citizen.They then file an I-130, and shortly thereafter withdraw the I-130 before it is processed because they need to return home unexpectedly.What would happen if the person returned to the US 6 months later on VWP and decided to try filing the I-130 and AOS again? Has there ever been a case where this was allowed,or would it mean a certain deportation and ban?

It was my understanding that if you marry while on a vwp,file an I-130,then leave us before receiving a GC, then the !-130 is no longer valid.There was no I-131 filed with the I-130 package.

You keep saying again and again that it is illegal to enter us with intent to immigrate.I think this is well understood by most in here.The question was if someone entered and did not have the intent to immigrate at the time.

You obviously have intent since you are asking all of your "hypothetical" questions and your spouse is outside the US right now.

Your understanding is wrong about the I-130. No matter where the person is the I-130 is still in play. If someone had to leave and abandon AOS, then they I-485 would be gone/dead/abandoned, but the I-130 could still continue and lead to the spousal visa. Did you file I-130? Did you withdraw it?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hypothetical question here. Someone enters US on VWP and decides to marry a US citizen.They then file an I-130, and shortly thereafter withdraw the I-130 before it is processed because they need to return home unexpectedly.What would happen if the person returned to the US 6 months later on VWP and decided to try filing the I-130 and AOS again? Has there ever been a case where this was allowed,or would it mean a certain deportation and ban?

That would be considered immigration fraud.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

yes, the I-130 was withdrawn.

If there was "intent" wouldnt that be for immigration to decide? I am only asking questions in a forum.

If there was intent it would be considered fraud by the USCIS. Entering the US on a non-imigrant visa or VWP with the intent to stay and AOS is considered immigration fraud.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

yes, the I-130 was withdrawn.

If there was "intent" wouldnt that be for immigration to decide? I am only asking questions in a forum.

The I-130 is only withdrawn if you took action to withdraw it. The I-485 is withdrawn by USCIS for abandonment in your case. So you are really telling me you took action to withdraw the I-130 after your spouse left the US?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Correct Harpah.The I-130 was withdrawn by written request after the spouse left the US.The rest of the petitions,485,764 were then denied when the I-130 was withdrawn.

Why on earth would you do that???? headbonk.gif Who told you to do such a thing??? The I-130 can remain. You just lost all that processing time. It could have been going on this whole time.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You obviously have no understanding of the process or consequences of your hypothetical situation.

You have already wasted a lot of time and money because of this. If you had let the I-130 continue your spouse could have interviewed in her home country for an immigrant visa. Now you are back to square one having to start all over and pay all the fees again. Even though you withdrew the I-130 there is still a record of it and the I-485 and all that.

So Hypothetically:

You wife arrives at the POE and is taken to secondary inspection, if she is even allowed to enter the country, and is asked questions along the line of "when do you plan to leave" "did you come here with the intent to remain?" "are you going to file for a green card"......you get the idea. If she lies about any of this she can be deported with a LIFE-TIME BAN NO WAIVER AVAILABLE. Even if she makes it through and into your arms and you file to adjust status what if she is asked at the interview about her return after having abandoned AOS. How will she truthfully answer this? How can you defeat the proof that she had the intent to immigrate after the I-130 and I-485 had been previously filed and withdrawn?

You are playing with fire. What you are asking could lead to a LIFETIME BAN WITH NO WAIVER.

BTW, you should never have withdrawn the I-130. Whatever made you do that? Did you think by withdrawing it there would be no record, that is would just be deleted from all the databases? If you did, you are wrong.

OK I feel real stupid,sick to my stomach right now.We thought that upon the spouse leaving the US without advance parole, before the GC, everything would be cancelled by immigration anyway.So what about the 485,764, would that part of the package also still be valid upon leaving US before GC? And what affect will all this have on a future CR-1 petition or a future VWP visit?

Seems like all of this may be enough to doom us now. We are now out $2000 and looking at a long process.Go ahead hit me again,I deserve it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

OK I feel real stupid,sick to my stomach right now.We thought that upon the spouse leaving the US without advance parole, before the GC, everything would be cancelled by immigration anyway.So what about the 485,764, would that part of the package also still be valid upon leaving US before GC? And what affect will all this have on a future CR-1 petition or a future VWP visit?

Seems like all of this may be enough to doom us now. We are now out $2000 and looking at a long process.Go ahead hit me again,I deserve it.

there is no doom and gloom, money and time lost .. yes

refile again now

be prepared for additional scrutiny on entry with a vwp

approvals for the 130 vary greatly right now depending on where it gets sent for adjudication (based on workload at local offices)

can be anywhere from 5-12 months total turnaround time

your history with uscis filings and the mistake you made will most likely strengthen your bona fides

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.