applejuice

Biometrics appt for 751: Bad idea to reschedule?

7 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

So, I received the ASC Appointment Notice (I-797C, Notice of Action) in the mail today.

I'm thinking about changing the scheduled date though, since the appointment time sort of conflicts with an important meeting at work.

I suppose I could miss my important work meeting and go to the originally scheduled ASC appointment instead.

But, I would really prefer not to miss work... which means I'm seriously considering a request for rescheduling the biometrics appt.

I realize that they could just as easily reschedule to another date that again conflicts with my work schedule.

I also realize that there's always the possibility of doing a walk-in... but it's kind of a long haul for me to get to the ASC. I know I'd be really pissed if I drove all the way out there hoping to score a walk-in but only to get turned away because I don't have an appt.

Do you guys have any advice/thoughts?

Should I skip out on the impt work meeting and go to my original biometrics appt?

Or should I ask USCIS to reschedule me for another date/time for biometrics?

"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." - Winston Churchill

-applejuice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

How important is important? Is it "if i don't go I get fired" important? or "We'll learn important stuff" important? If the latter I would ask someone to set up a video recorder and record it. OR you could try and phone it in OR if it's really important, and you are important, you could ask if the meeting date could be be changed, or the time changed.

I'm sure you're aware that rescheduling doesn't always work, the office things you missed it and you end up with a denial (and LPR status cancellation) that you then need to appeal. In the meantime you have no status and technically need to stop working while you sort it out. Sometimes it's totally fine but I wouldn't want to risk being the one they deny.

Honestly I would not go to the meeting and instead would do biometrics for this reason: If you reschedule and they screw up and deny you, you lose your job because you can't work while your status has been revoked and while you're trying to sort it out. So attending a meeting at work because it's "important", isn't as important as keeping your status so you CAN work (and of course live here).

How far is the local office? Mines 3 hours but my appt was at 8.30am or something so I would have been able to get to work by around 12/1pm.

How important is important? Is it "if i don't go I get fired" important? or "We'll learn important stuff" important? If the latter I would ask someone to set up a video recorder and record it. OR you could try and phone it in OR if it's really important, and you are important, you could ask if the meeting date could be be changed, or the time changed.

I'm sure you're aware that rescheduling doesn't always work, the office things you missed it and you end up with a denial (and LPR status cancellation) that you then need to appeal. In the meantime you have no status and technically need to stop working while you sort it out. Sometimes it's totally fine but I wouldn't want to risk being the one they deny.

Honestly I would not go to the meeting and instead would do biometrics for this reason: If you reschedule and they screw up and deny you, you lose your job because you can't work while your status has been revoked and while you're trying to sort it out. So attending a meeting at work because it's "important", isn't as important as keeping your status so you CAN work (and of course live here).

How far is the local office? Mines 3 hours but my appt was at 8.30am or something so I would have been able to get to work by around 12/1pm.

Hey V&T,

Thanks, very astute thoughts included in your thoughtful response.

I'm def not that important, i.e. the mtg will function just fine without my participation. I think at its worst, missing the meeting won't cause me the lose my job.

Appreciate your being so forthcoming... respect.

-applejuice

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Since you know the location of the ASC now,

I would suggest you GO EARLIER than the date printed in the appointment,

and ask if you can get in earlier.

No telephone, no postal mail, just go...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey V&T,

Thanks, very astute thoughts included in your thoughtful response.

I'm def not that important, i.e. the mtg will function just fine without my participation. I think at its worst, missing the meeting won't cause me the lose my job.

Appreciate your being so forthcoming... respect.

-applejuice

No problem. I think they'll appreciate that YOUR meeting is about keeping their fabulous employee at work and won't mind at all :) Plus after this one, it's MONTHS of waiting (just got mine approved after 7 months). Best to get it done and over with :)

Since you know the location of the ASC now,

I would suggest you GO EARLIER than the date printed in the appointment,

and ask if you can get in earlier.

No telephone, no postal mail, just go...

Hey D,

I realize that's an option... but we're talking 6~7-hour round-trip door-to-door travel time (excluding time required for actual appointment procedure, etc.)

And if I show up there, and they deny me the opportunity... I'll be really upset... and wasted basically $100 on gas and parking.

You'd understand if I'd want to play it safe, right?

-applejuice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

However you handle it, remember to take the original letter with you, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.