gildayjason

AOS Interview and Approval in Los Angeles

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My AOS from and F-1 visa was approved today in Los Angeles. I am really grateful for all the advice and experiences shared on VJ, so here's my review of my experience at the LA Field Office today:

Our interview was scheduled for 8:00 this morning. We hit a bit more traffic than I had expected and got to Downtown LA a little after 7:30. We circled around looking for parking (I had read about the various lots and prices in the area), but settled for the garage at the Los Angeles Mall, right across the street from the Federal Building. They normally charge $16, but they have an $8 early-bird special before 8:00 am. When we got to the Federal Building, around 7:40ish, there were two lines: one for InfoPass and one for interviews, and they were both quite long. We headed for the interview line, but a security guard made us move to the InfoPass line--not just me and my husband, but several other people as well. I tried to show him my interview letter, but he insisted we should go to other line. We stood in the barely-moving InfoPass line for about 25 minutes--at this point, our interview time had come and gone. Several of us in line went up to a different guard to inquire politely what was going on: turns out, the first guy moved us to the wrong line. So off we went to the correct line, where we waited for another half hour or so, until being let in to the building to go through the metal detectors. I had read enough stories here on VJ to know that it'd probably be OK that we were late, given the fact that the lines were so long, but I was still extra-nervous.

After the metal detectors, my husband and I took the elevator to the sixth floor, where we gave our interview letter to a very polite man sitting at the only open information window. We waited about 25 minutes (several people who got there after us were called before us)--until around 9:25--before being called. Our IO was a younger Latino man with the last name Aguilar. He lead us to a suite of offices down the hall from the waiting room. In his office, he swore us in, asked for our California IDs, passport, birth certificates (I offered to give him the translation for my Mexican certificate, but he declined; I assume he spoke Spanish), and our marriage certificate (he asked for a photocopy of my husband's birth certificate, which he didn't have on file, but I had it with me) . As he looked over these documents, he remarked that my husband had been born in Nevada, asked him when he'd moved to California, and asked him what he did for a living. Then he verified my profession ("you're a graduate student in X, right?") and asked what I want to do after I'm done with my degree. He then asked how long we'd known each other (almost 3 years) and if we'd met at the university where we both work. We told him we'd met online, but that my husband had spotted me on campus after seeing my online profile and he thought our story was funny.

The IO commented on my husband's father birthplace (in the U.S.) and my husband volunteered that he never really knew his father, but that he is/was of Mexican descent (he has a Spanish last name). He asked where I was from in Mexico, verified our marriage location, and asked whether our parents had come to the wedding: we explained my parents and his family came to our U.S. wedding and that we had reception in Mexico later with my whole family. He asked both of us if we'd ever been married before (no), my husband whether he'd ever sponsored someone before (no), and whether either of us had any children (also no). He had a copy of our lease and we showed him the original. He also wanted to see our credit cards on a joint account and proof of our Costco membership. After looking over all of this, he asked me some of the yes/no questions on the I-485 ("have you ever been a member of a terrorist organization?") and commented on my membership in various professional/student organizations.

He looked our file over a couple of times, said we had everything he needed (he specifically referenced the I-693, I-894, and a background check) and said he was approving us. He then welcome me to the United States and congratulated me, and said he'd be printing out a welcome letter and briefly discussed the I-765 and removal of conditions. He said I should expect my green card in the mail in about a week. Then, he got up to photocopy some of our documents (passports, birth certificates, California IDs, credit cards, and Costco letter). When he came back, he was typing some stuff into his computer and asked us if it'd been hard to get into the building, so we briefly explained our experience with the lines and the confusion. He apologized and said that they're having issues with the current construction on the building. He'd already taken my I-94 (it wasn't in my passport when he returned it after photocopying), and he then asked for my EAD card and attached it to my file. He wrote some information in pen on my welcome letter, including "I-765" next to where the letter explains ROC, gave it to me, shook our hands, and sent us on our way. I wasn't looking at the clock when we were done, but we were driving out of the parking garage, after stopping at an ATM, at 10:00, so I assume the whole interview took about 15-20 minutes. I have just checked my status on the USCIS website and it hasn't changed yet, but I have a letter in hand, so it's all good :)

So, all in all, a very smooth experience, excepting the disorganized and stressful process of entry into the Federal Building. I can hardly believe how smoothly our whole AOS experience was, in fact: 90 days from the filing date to approval, no RFEs, and no other problems. Again, I'm really grateful for all the information and advice here on VJ!

Naturalization

November 10th, 2014 (Day 0) - Mailed N-400 to Arizona Lockbox

November 13th, 2014 (Day 1) - Application received in Phoenix

November 14th, 2014 (Day 2) - Priority date on NOA

November 17th, 2014 (Day 5) - Check cashed

November 19th, 2014 (Day 7) - NOA received

November 29th, 2014 (Day 17) - Biometrics appointment letter received

December 1st, 2014 (Day 19) - Walk-in biometrics completed

December 6th, 2014 (Day 24) - Yellow letter received

January 7th, 2015 (Day 56) - Online notification of in line for interview

January 8th, 2015 (Day 57) - Online notification of interview scheduled

January 15th, 2015 (Day 64) - Interview letter received

February 13th, 2015 (Day 93) - Naturalization interview: APPROVED!

February 17th, 2015 (Day 97) - Online notification of oath ceremony scheduled

February 20th, 2015 (Day 100) - Oath ceremony letter received

March 5th, 2015 (Day 113) - Oath ceremony: U.S. CITIZEN!

ROC

November 15th, 2013 (Day 0) - Mailed I-751 to California Service Center

November 18th, 2013 (Day 1) - Application received at CSC; NOA date

November 20th, 2013 (Day 3) - Check cashed

November 22nd, 2013 (Day 5) - NOA received

November 25th, 2013 (Day 8) - Biometrics appointment letter received

December 13th, 2013 (Day 26) - Biometrics appointment

March 24th, 2014 (Day 127) - Card production ordered!

March 31st, 2014 (Day 134) - 10-year green card received!

AOS from F-1 Visa (June 2nd, 2011 - Wedding)
November 9th, 2011 (Day 0) - Mailed I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 to Chicago Lockbox
November 10th, 2011 (Day 1) - Application received in Chicago
November 15th, 2011 (Day 6) - E-mail notification

November 16th, 2011 (Day 7) - Checks cashed
November 18th, 2011 (Day 9) - NOAs received
November 21st, 2011 (Day 12) - Biometrics appointment notice received
November 23rd, 2011 (Day 14) - Walk-in biometrics completed
January 5th, 2012 (Day 57) - Interview scheduled notice AND notice of card production for EAD and AP
January 13th, 2012 (Day 65) - Combination EAD/AP card received
February 7th, 2012 (Day 90) - Interview: APPROVED!
February 10th, 2012 (Day 93) - Green card production ordered
February 15th, 2012 (Day 98) - Green card received!

Congratulations!

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

My AOS from and F-1 visa was approved today in Los Angeles. I am really grateful for all the advice and experiences shared on VJ, so here's my review of my experience at the LA Field Office today:

Our interview was scheduled for 8:00 this morning. We hit a bit more traffic than I had expected and got to Downtown LA a little after 7:30. We circled around looking for parking (I had read about the various lots and prices in the area), but settled for the garage at the Los Angeles Mall, right across the street from the Federal Building. They normally charge $16, but they have an $8 early-bird special before 8:00 am. When we got to the Federal Building, around 7:40ish, there were two lines: one for InfoPass and one for interviews, and they were both quite long. We headed for the interview line, but a security guard made us move to the InfoPass line--not just me and my husband, but several other people as well. I tried to show him my interview letter, but he insisted we should go to other line. We stood in the barely-moving InfoPass line for about 25 minutes--at this point, our interview time had come and gone. Several of us in line went up to a different guard to inquire politely what was going on: turns out, the first guy moved us to the wrong line. So off we went to the correct line, where we waited for another half hour or so, until being let in to the building to go through the metal detectors. I had read enough stories here on VJ to know that it'd probably be OK that we were late, given the fact that the lines were so long, but I was still extra-nervous.

After the metal detectors, my husband and I took the elevator to the sixth floor, where we gave our interview letter to a very polite man sitting at the only open information window. We waited about 25 minutes (several people who got there after us were called before us)--until around 9:25--before being called. Our IO was a younger Latino man with the last name Aguilar. He lead us to a suite of offices down the hall from the waiting room. In his office, he swore us in, asked for our California IDs, passport, birth certificates (I offered to give him the translation for my Mexican certificate, but he declined; I assume he spoke Spanish), and our marriage certificate (he asked for a photocopy of my husband's birth certificate, which he didn't have on file, but I had it with me) . As he looked over these documents, he remarked that my husband had been born in Nevada, asked him when he'd moved to California, and asked him what he did for a living. Then he verified my profession ("you're a graduate student in X, right?") and asked what I want to do after I'm done with my degree. He then asked how long we'd known each other (almost 3 years) and if we'd met at the university where we both work. We told him we'd met online, but that my husband had spotted me on campus after seeing my online profile and he thought our story was funny.

The IO commented on my husband's father birthplace (in the U.S.) and my husband volunteered that he never really knew his father, but that he is/was of Mexican descent (he has a Spanish last name). He asked where I was from in Mexico, verified our marriage location, and asked whether our parents had come to the wedding: we explained my parents and his family came to our U.S. wedding and that we had reception in Mexico later with my whole family. He asked both of us if we'd ever been married before (no), my husband whether he'd ever sponsored someone before (no), and whether either of us had any children (also no). He had a copy of our lease and we showed him the original. He also wanted to see our credit cards on a joint account and proof of our Costco membership. After looking over all of this, he asked me some of the yes/no questions on the I-485 ("have you ever been a member of a terrorist organization?") and commented on my membership in various professional/student organizations.

He looked our file over a couple of times, said we had everything he needed (he specifically referenced the I-693, I-894, and a background check) and said he was approving us. He then welcome me to the United States and congratulated me, and said he'd be printing out a welcome letter and briefly discussed the I-765 and removal of conditions. He said I should expect my green card in the mail in about a week. Then, he got up to photocopy some of our documents (passports, birth certificates, California IDs, credit cards, and Costco letter). When he came back, he was typing some stuff into his computer and asked us if it'd been hard to get into the building, so we briefly explained our experience with the lines and the confusion. He apologized and said that they're having issues with the current construction on the building. He'd already taken my I-94 (it wasn't in my passport when he returned it after photocopying), and he then asked for my EAD card and attached it to my file. He wrote some information in pen on my welcome letter, including "I-765" next to where the letter explains ROC, gave it to me, shook our hands, and sent us on our way. I wasn't looking at the clock when we were done, but we were driving out of the parking garage, after stopping at an ATM, at 10:00, so I assume the whole interview took about 15-20 minutes. I have just checked my status on the USCIS website and it hasn't changed yet, but I have a letter in hand, so it's all good :)

So, all in all, a very smooth experience, excepting the disorganized and stressful process of entry into the Federal Building. I can hardly believe how smoothly our whole AOS experience was, in fact: 90 days from the filing date to approval, no RFEs, and no other problems. Again, I'm really grateful for all the information and advice here on VJ!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and congrats!!:)What financial info did you bring with the Affidavit of Support? Did you submit the copyof latest paystubs of USC and an updated Employement verification Letter, or just copies of everything you sent with AOS package? My interview is next week, and I was wondering whether my husband need to ask for a new letter from his employer (more recentely dated, and new paystubs? Thx and congrats again!!!!:)

Timeline

We brought an updated employment verification letter, his latest paystub, and our 2011 tax return and W-2s (we filed a couple of weeks ago), as well as copies of the I-864EZ and everything we had submitted with it originally (tax transcripts for 3 years and employment verification letter from back in October), but the IO didn't ask for any of it, so we didn't even take this stuff out of the folder.

Naturalization

ROC

January 5th, 2012 (Day 57) - Interview scheduled notice AND notice of card production for EAD and AP

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Did you have to submit the USC's birth certificate too. What happens if you don't have it? He has his passport and naturalization certificate. We can't seem to find his original birth certificate but we have a photocopy. What should we do. I am so scared because if they need the original we have to go to africa for that. :( Any advice will be appreciated.

Nov 25,2011(Day 0) - Mailed I 130,I 485, I 765 and I 864
Nov 28,2011(Day 1) - Tracked on USPS and saw that it had been delivered
Dec 1, 2011(Day 4) - Received emails/texts that application was received on Nov 29th and an I 797 is on its way
Dec 1, 2011(Day 4) - Checks cashed
Dec 5, 2011(Day 8) - NOA1 Hard Copies received with Dec 1st as Notice Date
Dec 9, 2011(Day 12) - Biometrics Letter received for 12/22/201
Dec 16, 2011(Day 19) - Biometrics Walk in completed in less than 30 minutes
Jan 24, 2011(Day 58) - Received text/email about card EAD card production
Jan 28, 2011(Day 62) - Received text/email about card EAD card production again
Jan 30, 2011(Day 64) - Received text/email about card EAD card approval and has been mailed
Feb 01, 2012(Day 66) - Received EAD in the mail.
Feb 03, 2012(Day 68) - Received email and text about March 8th interview
Feb 04, 2012(Day 69) - Received interview letter in the mail.
Mar 08, 2012(Day 102) - AOS INTERVIEW (Went in at 8:30am and was approved by 4:45pm)
Mar 13, 2012(Day 107) - Email that card is in production.
Mar 13, 2012(Day 107) - Received congratulations letter in the mail and my name is spelt wrong so i have to deal with that now.

Removal of Conditions

Dec 08, 2013 - 90 day mark

Jan 27, 2014 (Day 0) - Mailed ROC packet to VSC
Jan 31, 2014 (Day 1)- NOA1 date

Feb 18, 2014(Day 14) Biometrics letter received for March 5th 2014

Feb 25, 2014(Day 21) Early Walk in for Biometrics

July 8th, 2014 ( Day 153 - I stopped counting) - RFE Received

Sep 19, 2014 (Day 225....) - RFE received - Deadline was Sep 21 (too close I know)

Oct 29, 2014 (Day 265..) Email that card was sent to production.

Citizenship

5/18/2015 - Mailed in N400

5/21/2015 - NOA

5/25/2015- Check Cashed

6/06/2015 - Biometrics letter received for June 19th, 2015

6/11/2015- Biometrics completed Walk in

6/15/2015 - In line for interview

08/21/2015 - interview date ( Interview done) Recommended for citizenship.

9/25/2015- Became a US citizen. All done with USCIS

10/28/2018 - Received my passport. *Done* Good Luck everyone

Timeline

Hopeful17, I think the passport and naturalization certificate, along with a verbal explanation that you don't have the birth certificate at the interview should be enough. After all, the main thing they want is to establish the petitioner's eligibility to file for a spouse, based on his citizenship. Maybe others can weigh in.

I should say that our case was pretty straightforward overall (I'm an F-1 student who's been here for over 8 years, never out of status; we're close in age; similar educational levels, etc.), but we had two concerns that almost had us hiring a lawyer. The first was that I was previously in a California domestic partnership (not a same-sex marriage). It was dissolved some time ago, but we were concerned it'd raise questions about the bona fide of our marriage, especially since it's referenced in our marriage certificate. The second potential issue was that I left the country after we got married and came back on my student visa (and went back to school; I'm still enrolled and will continue to be). We hadn't decided whether to apply for AOS at that point (I'm a doctoral student and was considering fieldwork abroad) and I definitely didn't lie at the POE (so, no material representation). But I read some stuff here on VJ that gave me pause.

I did go to a lawyer for a free consultation (one specialized in LGBT families and immigration) and he thought it was likely that the domestic partnership wouldn't be a problem (but would charge us extra to prepare for the eventuality that it would be--which is fair, I think), and was not at all worried about my entry after marriage. We decided to go it alone, though, and are very happy that things worked out--the domestic partnership never even came up, though we were prepared with tons of documentation at the interview, including an affidavit from my former partner. I spent a lot of time searching for stories similar to mine on VJ, but I could only find one other case of someone with a domestic partnership/civil union history, so I thought I'd share in case others are in this kind of position.

Naturalization

ROC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

We brought an updated employment verification letter, his latest paystub, and our 2011 tax return and W-2s (we filed a couple of weeks ago), as well as copies of the I-864EZ and everything we had submitted with it originally (tax transcripts for 3 years and employment verification letter from back in October), but the IO didn't ask for any of it, so we didn't even take this stuff out of the folder.

Thank u so much 4 response!:) we'll bring updated financials then just to be certain! My husband did not receive his W2 for 2011, it should come any day, and I was just a little concerned about that:( Hopefully it will all go smooth, we have everything else. I am also adjusting from F1 and never been out of status. So glad 4 u guys, enjoy and celebrate!!!:)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hopeful17, I think the passport and naturalization certificate, along with a verbal explanation that you don't have the birth certificate at the interview should be enough. After all, the main thing they want is to establish the petitioner's eligibility to file for a spouse, based on his citizenship. Maybe others can weigh in.

I should say that our case was pretty straightforward overall (I'm an F-1 student who's been here for over 8 years, never out of status; we're close in age; similar educational levels, etc.), but we had two concerns that almost had us hiring a lawyer. The first was that I was previously in a California domestic partnership (not a same-sex marriage). It was dissolved some time ago, but we were concerned it'd raise questions about the bona fide of our marriage, especially since it's referenced in our marriage certificate. The second potential issue was that I left the country after we got married and came back on my student visa (and went back to school; I'm still enrolled and will continue to be). We hadn't decided whether to apply for AOS at that point (I'm a doctoral student and was considering fieldwork abroad) and I definitely didn't lie at the POE (so, no material representation). But I read some stuff here on VJ that gave me pause.

I did go to a lawyer for a free consultation (one specialized in LGBT families and immigration) and he thought it was likely that the domestic partnership wouldn't be a problem (but would charge us extra to prepare for the eventuality that it would be--which is fair, I think), and was not at all worried about my entry after marriage. We decided to go it alone, though, and are very happy that things worked out--the domestic partnership never even came up, though we were prepared with tons of documentation at the interview, including an affidavit from my former partner. I spent a lot of time searching for stories similar to mine on VJ, but I could only find one other case of someone with a domestic partnership/civil union history, so I thought I'd share in case others are in this kind of position.

Thank you very much for your response. Mine is not very complicated. He is naturalized through his parents and I came here as an F1 status and still have my I-20 that doesnt expire till end of march. We are very close in age as well. I guess I am just going to cross my fingers that they don't ask us for his original birth certificate. What kind of questions did they ask?

Nov 25,2011(Day 0) - Mailed I 130,I 485, I 765 and I 864
Nov 28,2011(Day 1) - Tracked on USPS and saw that it had been delivered
Dec 1, 2011(Day 4) - Received emails/texts that application was received on Nov 29th and an I 797 is on its way
Dec 1, 2011(Day 4) - Checks cashed
Dec 5, 2011(Day 8) - NOA1 Hard Copies received with Dec 1st as Notice Date
Dec 9, 2011(Day 12) - Biometrics Letter received for 12/22/201
Dec 16, 2011(Day 19) - Biometrics Walk in completed in less than 30 minutes
Jan 24, 2011(Day 58) - Received text/email about card EAD card production
Jan 28, 2011(Day 62) - Received text/email about card EAD card production again
Jan 30, 2011(Day 64) - Received text/email about card EAD card approval and has been mailed
Feb 01, 2012(Day 66) - Received EAD in the mail.
Feb 03, 2012(Day 68) - Received email and text about March 8th interview
Feb 04, 2012(Day 69) - Received interview letter in the mail.
Mar 08, 2012(Day 102) - AOS INTERVIEW (Went in at 8:30am and was approved by 4:45pm)
Mar 13, 2012(Day 107) - Email that card is in production.
Mar 13, 2012(Day 107) - Received congratulations letter in the mail and my name is spelt wrong so i have to deal with that now.

Removal of Conditions

Dec 08, 2013 - 90 day mark

Jan 27, 2014 (Day 0) - Mailed ROC packet to VSC
Jan 31, 2014 (Day 1)- NOA1 date

Feb 18, 2014(Day 14) Biometrics letter received for March 5th 2014

Feb 25, 2014(Day 21) Early Walk in for Biometrics

July 8th, 2014 ( Day 153 - I stopped counting) - RFE Received

Sep 19, 2014 (Day 225....) - RFE received - Deadline was Sep 21 (too close I know)

Oct 29, 2014 (Day 265..) Email that card was sent to production.

Citizenship

5/18/2015 - Mailed in N400

5/21/2015 - NOA

5/25/2015- Check Cashed

6/06/2015 - Biometrics letter received for June 19th, 2015

6/11/2015- Biometrics completed Walk in

6/15/2015 - In line for interview

08/21/2015 - interview date ( Interview done) Recommended for citizenship.

9/25/2015- Became a US citizen. All done with USCIS

10/28/2018 - Received my passport. *Done* Good Luck everyone

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Congratulations! I almost cried when I read 'Welcome to United States and congratulations'lol I'm getting emotional.

Doing good deeds shall bring happiness

09/05/2005 - Entered US with J-1

04/16/2006 - Met my husband

04/11/2007 - AOS from J-1 to B-2

07/10/2007 - Out of Status

08/26/2011 - Husband became USC through naturalization

10/12/2011 - We got married!

12/03/2011 - Sent AOS package(I-130, I-485, I-765) to Chicago Lockbox

12/05/2011 - Delivery confirmation via USPS

12/16/2011 - Received emails for I-130, I-485

12/22/2011 - Received NOA in mail for I-130, I-485 dated 12/16/2011

12/23/2011 - Received rejected I-765 due to missing signature

12/24/2011 - Received biometrics appointment on 01/09/2012 dated 12/20/2011

12/27/2011 - Reapplied I-765

12/29/2011 - I-765 has been delivered by USPS confirmation

01/04/2012 - Walk-in biometrics done

01/11/2012 - Received NOA in mail for I-765 dated 12/30/2011

02/01/2012 - Received text/email for I-765, Card/Document Production

02/06/2012 - Received EAD card in mail. YAY!

02/07/2012 - Received text/email for interview date, 03/15/2012

02/08/2012 - Received interview letter in mail

03/15/2012 - Interview at San Antonio, approved on spot and got a stamp!

03/23/2012 - Green card in hand! :^D

Timeline

Aw, PinkMelody, you're sweet! Thank you.

Hopeful17, all the questions he asked are in my account above--except I didn't go into detail about the yes/np questions he asked that were straight out of the I-485. They were, if I remember correctly, the terrorist activity one, the military involvement one, the political party one, if I had ever been arrested, and the one about whether I'd ever committed fraud related to immigration benefits. All "no" for me.

Naturalization

ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Thank You very much for sharing your experience. Congratulations!

Wife's USCIS Journey

02-27-2012 Mailed I-130, I-485 and I-765 to Chicago by Priority Mail

02-29-2012 Post Office website shows as delivered

03-01-2012 USCIS received I-130, I-485 and I-765

03-05-2012 Received 3 text and 3 email receipt notifications

03-07-2012 $1,490 poorer - both checks cashed

03-12-2012 Received NOAs for all 3 applications

03-16-2012 Received Biometrics Notice for Apr. 2

03-19-2012 Successful Walkin Biometrics

04-09-2012 Received text/email about scheduled interview for May. 11

04-12-2012 Received a hard copy of an interview letter

05-04-2012 Received a notification "Card Production Ordered" for EAD.

05-09-2012 Received another notification "Card Production Ordered" for EAD.

05-10-2012 Received notification that EAD was mailed.

05-11-2012 AOS Interview at 12:30 no final decision

05-11-2012 Notification "Card production ordered" at 3:30 pm. APPROVED!!!!!!!

05-14-2012 Received EAD card in mail and I-130 approval notification

05-15-2012 Received hard copies of I-130 approval, welcome to USA letter and a notification that green card was sent

05-21-2012 Green Card Received!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-23-2012 Applied for SSN

***Counting down to RoC***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.