ash10

Studying while the AOS is in process

10 posts in this topic

Depends on the rules of the school you are looking at.

I haven't seen any rules that forbid it when you are adjusting status. (USCIS)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

My husband is studying for his GED right now and we are in the process of adjusting status. He didn't even have to pay for the class and he is enjoying it.

Timeline:

9-18-2010 - Sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

9-20-2010 - Package arrived confirmation USPS

9-24-2010 - Received txt message and email for I-797

9-27-2010 - Received NOA1 for I-131, I-130, I-765 and I-485

9-27-2010 - Checks cashed

10-4-2010 - Received biometric appt. (10-28-10)

10-15-2010 - Touched

10-20-2010 - RFE Notice Sent via email on I-485 (Bummer)

10-25-2010 - Recevied RFE

10-26-2010 - Send evidence

10-27-2010 - Evidenced signed for in response to RFE

10-28-2010 - Appear for Biometrics

10-28-2010 - I-765 & I-485 touched

10-29-2010 - I-765 & I-485 touched again

11-1-10 - rec.email regarding continued processing of I-485

11-12-2010 - Received call from congresswoman's office stating they were contacting USCIS to expedite EAD

11-15-210 - Received call from congresswoman's office confirming request to expedite approved and EAD will be adjudicated in 7 business days and should received card 10 days after that. Also the I-485 has been moved to the next step to schedule interview too. Yeah - so happy!!!

11-19-2010 - Received email AP approved and EAD card in production.

11-19-2010 - Received interview letter - appt scheduled on 12-21-2010. :)

11-22-2010 - Received AP in mail

11-26-2010 - Received EAD in mail (Went on 11-29-10 for job interview and start on 12-6-10)

12-21-2010 - Went on Interview and was APPROVED!!!

Studying is not a problem. Getting financial assistance can be more difficult until you have been a LPR for a few months.The requirements vary per institution of higher learning and states.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

While your AOS is pending, there should be no problem with attending school. The fees required depend on the school in question. Most will require foreign resident tuition. After you receive your Conditional or Permanent Residency, most states will still consider you as a non-resident for school or university tuition for one year. Some will consider your residency before obtaining your green card, but most will not. But that is up to the state and particular school at which you are studying.

Cheers.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you have enough money to be in school, do it. I heard about a student who relinquished himself form f1 during the AOS. It went bad for him and couldn't go back to school as well. I don't know what he did after.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

You have to call the institution. Rules vary from institution and state. Some states let you study without a Greencard. Here in VA you need GC if you want to attend university. So make sure you make that call and ask whether you can enroll while you're adjusting status. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Dear Group,

Can someone on a pending AOS study in the US? I know that you can work after receiving the EAD but can you also study at any stage of the AOS?

Thank you.

There is no federal law against it. I have not heard of any state laws against it, but you could check. There MAY be restrictions by schools and there MAY be restrictions on financing and/or loans and grants and on tuition residency requirements.

In our case, Alla started her masters degree program 5 DAYS after arriving, even before we got married. She had a 50% private grant we had applied for and recieved before she arrived. She had her previous education evaluated before she arrived. Priavtae universities can give grants to whomever they want.

Vermont requires you reside in the state for 1 year to qualify for "in state" tuition and state student grants.

Student granst and loans are NOT welfare and are not forbidden by the I-864 conditions.

The short answer is YES, they can study and the more preparation you do now, the faster they can get invloved. Alla was disappointed to wiat for 5 days! (two of the days were a weekend!)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

While your AOS is pending, there should be no problem with attending school. The fees required depend on the school in question. Most will require foreign resident tuition. After you receive your Conditional or Permanent Residency, most states will still consider you as a non-resident for school or university tuition for one year. Some will consider your residency before obtaining your green card, but most will not. But that is up to the state and particular school at which you are studying.

Cheers.

I'm in California and tried to continue my education with AOS pending from F-1. The community college district I signed up classes for was going to charge me out-of state tuition fees after I explained that I am in proceedings of AOS and have no more F-1 status. They replied that I cannot apply for California resident tuition at this time due to state laws - as long as I would not have a greencard I am considered out of state, no matter if I have lived and been married in California for 1 month or 20 years > no AOS finalized, no cheap resident fee to study.

Edited by Maxximus1074

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.