Skye_Cohen

wife speaks no english

27 posts in this topic

seems like this would have been covered plenty but in searches i only found topics relating to AOS interviews, sorry if making people repeat themselves

Okay so really a two part question

PART 1: my wife speaks no English, how might that effect her interview for our IR1/CR1 I-130 petition at the US embassy (she is in Indonesia and will remain until after visa is obtained) ((unless anyone has ideas of how to get her here before that, i think she doesn't have enough money or assets to get a tourist visa))

PART 2: If a translator is needed at the embassy, could it be me? I speak fluent Indonesian, fluent conversational Indonesian anyway. I often need her to translate others' Indonesian into "our" Indonesian but the two of us have no trouble communicating between each other. I would really love to go to the interview with her and translate but it is a risk with the timing because she doesn't feel confident to fly on her own here after her visa is obtained because of her lack of English and lack of experience flying. If i go to the interview with her and she doesn't "pass" for one reason or another, delaying the process, i will have to return alone and save money and vacation time all over again which certainty adds to our time apart, I don't want that and neither does she.

Also i don't know if this is relevant to this question or not but I feel that our evidence of a bonafied marriage is relatively decent, my whole family went to the wedding in Indonesia and i have many photos of both familys together, phone records, tons of congratulation letters postmarked just before i left the us for the wedding and some other stuff, no commingled finances though.

Any thoughts from anyone to help me clarify these questions would be greatly appreciated.

I-130 filed for IR-1 CR-1 Immigrant visa, Spouse residing overseas

dec ** 2007 first met

Feb 01 2010 married in Bali

July 30 2010 NOA 1

Aug 02 2010 $355fee Check cleared

Nov 03 2010 I-130 transferred to TSC

Feb 16 2011 NOA 2, I-130 approved

mar 5 2011 recieved case #

If your are US citizen then you can go to the interview. I think interview is taken by an America officer and a local officer. So you wouldn't need to translate.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Since the interview will be in her home country, they should be able to conduct the interview in Indonesian. I'm sure if you contacted the embassy there, they could tell you for sure (or ask another Indonesian on here). I'm in the same boat, my husband doesn't speak any English and I'm confident that they will conduct the interview in Spanish for him. I would think it's a given that not everyone coming to the US is fluent in English.

As for your evidence, do you have chat logs or e-mails or phone call logs between the both of you since returning and before you two got married? How about photos from before you were married? As for the comingled finances, if she hasn't been to the U.S. before, there isn't really much you can do about that. It is an added evidence and not a requirement.

*~Cr1 Journey~* CSC

-NOA 1 Receipt date: 3/1/10 (sent 2/18/10)

-Touched 4 different times in between

-APPROVED: 6/2/10

93 days from NOA1 to NOA2

-Received NVC case number: 6/9/10/10

-Gave NVC my e-mail address & e-mailed DS3032: 6/10/10

-Received NVC e-mails (DS3032 and AOS Fee)& paid AOS fee: 6/11/10

-AOS Fee shows as PAID & paid IV Bill: 6/15/10

-IV Bill shows as paid: 6/6/10

-Received IV instruction packet: 6/8/10

-Received dox from co-sponsor: 10/14/15/10

-Sent AOS package: 10/18/10

-AOS package received: 10/19/10-J.Desmond

-IV Package mailed out: 11/3/10

-AVR says I have an RFE: 11/5/10

-NVC operator told me what my RFE's are: 11/8/10

-NVC sent checklist letter (for the 2 AOS RFE's): 11/13/10

-NVC operator says the IV package has been entered: 11/18/10

-E-mailed SUE to see if that would do anything (3 diff times...): 11/29/30/10

-Sent AOS RFE's: 12/1/10

-AOS RFE's received: 12/2/10

-Checked payment portal for fun (SIF!!!!): 12/3/10

-AVR still say AOS missing info: 12/3/10

-NVC operator says case was shipped to USE in Lima: 12/3/10

-Received interview date (12/13/10): JANUARY 6th, 2011!!

-Medical: 12/21/10- Passed :)

-Interivew: 1/6/11- PASSED :D

-Visa received- 1/13/11

-POE FLL- 1/23/11 YES! BUTTTTTTT....still not reunited :'( (Reunited on the 24th)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello there, just trying to help you Ok?

When she have her interview at her country I think she can be interviewed in her language, here in Brazil they use to ask us if we want to be interviewed in english or portuguese, but I don't know about the port of entry in USA, if she could be interviewed in her native language. Maybe some indonesian that is already in USA can stop by here and give you a better advise.

I'm sure you can be with her at the interview.

I wish you Luck and I'm sure everything will be just perfect and ok.

Edited by Me and You Us

Marriage:12-18-2007

event.png

girlpowersmiley.gif

I love being married.It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy, for the rest of your life. =)upherebl.gif

kyt3m3.png

USCIS Journey

I-130 NOA1: 09-11-2009

I-130 NOA2: 03-24-2010 - 194 days from NOA1 to NOA2 :o

NVC Journey

04-01-2010 : NVC Received and assigned case / I-864(AOS)and IV fee Bill paid

05-05-2010 : Return Completed I-864(AOS)& DS-230

06-04-2010 : Medical Exams - Done

06-21-2010 : Case Completed at NVC (SIF) Tks Dear Lord! Finally =)

08-04-2010: Interview Date - RJ 7:15am - APPROVED!!!!

08-12-2010: POE - LAX Woohoo...Our dream come true!!! =)

08-23-2010: Welcome Letter received by mail!! Nice =)

08-26-2010: Exactly 14 days after my POE, I got my GC by mail, I'm so Happy !!!

as1cHr40g410300ODgzMTI3fDkzMDk4bHxQYXJ0eSBpbiBVU0EhISEgV2VcJ3JlIEFQUFJPVkVE.gif

Wow faster than calling a lawyer! thank you both!!

As far as chat logs no, i do have photos from before the wedding but they aren't dated so there is no way to prove it. I dont have copys of the plane tickets but i could print out my card statement showing payment to a travel angency for one and to an airline for the other, I was only there two times before returning for the third to get married, I hope that is not going to alarm the IO

Also the my phone records: we use, sparing the boring details, what is basically a calling card so my phone records show calling a number in LA (after a beep i enter the indonesian number) I can also show card statements paying that company for phone credit and a printout from the company's website showing the LA number and instructions to then dial the international call. I have those from before and after the wedding.

I will also get affidavits from my friends and family swearing to the legitamacy of my wife and my relationship.

Is there anything else that could be suggested? I will try to search VJ as well about front loading the I-130 or splitting up the evidence between that and the interview

dec ** 2007 first met

July 30 2010 NOA 1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I suggest that you write an evolution of relationship letter, have it notarized in the USA, she presents it to the VO on interview day.

Among other things, cover specifically the communication abilities between you two, and HOW you communicate. Emphasis on 'USC Spouse speaks Bahasa' (or whatever dialect she speaks) to her most of the time.

re: evidence of bonafide marriage - you need to review the instructions on the I-130 again, there are 6 types of evidence that were possible to be submitted, for the initial I-130 submittal. THEN - as time progresses to INTERVIEW DAY, you were to BUILD UP that evidence folder. Think of that evidence as a 'living document', it grows and grows. Finally, on interview day, you've accumulated a mass of stuff that has newer 'shelf-life' than what you submitted with the I-130 petition.

Sure, I understand generating that type of evidence is difficult, when the two live apart - but you can generate SOMETHING. Here's what I did, on initial I-130 submittal - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218775&st=0&p=3324240&hl=Rusticentry3324240 and this weekend I'm gonna try for a joint bank acount (see http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/260233-joint-bank-account-marriedus-citizen-romanian-citizen/ ) and of course you can file a joint tax return, if married prior to Jan 1, 2010, going through the ITIN process.

I think yer parents coming in for the wedding, and photos showing same, are double double trump cards, to be shown on interview day. Include that fact, in yer EOR letter, as well.

While yer at it, please fill out yer official VJ timeline at http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=81957 - helps other Indo-couples coming up behind you, you betcha !

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I suggest that you write an evolution of relationship letter, have it notarized in the USA, she presents it to the VO on interview day.

Among other things, cover specifically the communication abilities between you two, and HOW you communicate. Emphasis on 'USC Spouse speaks Bahasa' (or whatever dialect she speaks) to her most of the time.

re: evidence of bonafide marriage - you need to review the instructions on the I-130 again, there are 6 types of evidence that were possible to be submitted, for the initial I-130 submittal. THEN - as time progresses to INTERVIEW DAY, you were to BUILD UP that evidence folder. Think of that evidence as a 'living document', it grows and grows. Finally, on interview day, you've accumulated a mass of stuff that has newer 'shelf-life' than what you submitted with the I-130 petition.

Sure, I understand generating that type of evidence is difficult, when the two live apart - but you can generate SOMETHING. Here's what I did, on initial I-130 submittal - http://www.visajourn...centry3324240 and this weekend I'm gonna try for a joint bank acount (see http://www.visajourn...manian-citizen/ ) and of course you can file a joint tax return, if married prior to Jan 1, 2010, going through the ITIN process.

I think yer parents coming in for the wedding, and photos showing same, are double double trump cards, to be shown on interview day. Include that fact, in yer EOR letter, as well.

While yer at it, please fill out yer official VJ timeline at http://www.visajourn...le.php?id=81957 - helps other Indo-couples coming up behind you, you betcha !

Good Luck !

WOW Darnell you are consistantly helpful and concise in your answers to my posts and to others' thank you.

Yeah i have been waiting on the timeline as i haven't yet submitted my I-130, problems with Indonesian bureaucracy in tracking down papers as well as my own missteps, but that is all in the past and i think this weekend i will have everything set and ready to send off.

May i ask you to weigh in on wether or not i should accompany my foreign spouse to the interview? and if the benefits of doing so might be or might not be worth the risk?

dec ** 2007 first met

July 30 2010 NOA 1

Timeline

komang - for Jakarta - I truly don't know if being there is helpful, or no. Heck I don't even know if USC spouse is allowed in, in the interview room, on interview day.

My apologies for assuming you'd already filed the I-130. I sorta 'slanted' it based on that assumption - but . ANYTHING you frontload with an I-130 -

1. is reviewed by USCIS personnel

2. stays with the casefile from USCIS to NVC (NVC folk don't look at the casefile, they're too busy waiting on new paperwork to show up)

3. makes it to Jakarta with the casefile and

4. is reviewed by a Visa Officer / Consular Official, prior to interview day.

For the life of me, I canna recall if Jakarta is high fraud consulate or no. USUALLY, front-loading an I-130 is useful when it's a high-fraud country (such as China or Nigeria or Morocco ) .

Now - specifically for China - when USA spouse 'shows up' - he's not allowed inside the Consulate IV Unit on interview day - but - sometimes, one goes in to American Citizen Services, has the Evolution of Relationship Letter Notarized, and that presence is marked on the computer, for the spouse's casefile. Also, sometimes, one goes in to American Citizen Services appointment, asks questions about the casefile to a Visa Officer (again the USC's presence is noted in the spouse's casefile, on the computer) . Finally - on interview day, spouse having USC's passport in hand, with EOR folded longwise inside the passport, hands it over to the Visa Officer, showing the VO that her USC spouse is in the building (just not inside the IV Unit).

Sometimes, this makes a difference. On occasion, it does not, as the VO found some other problem with the casefile, and decides to trip up the Foreign Spouse in the interview, in an attempt to be able to declare 'not a bonafide relationship' - regardless of any proof that she's carrying in her hands.

So - if you KNOW Jakarta is a 'high fraud country' - then it might make sense for you to be there, on interiew day. IMO, if you front-load the heck outta the petition, on initial submittal, covering all red flags in a letter of attestation with annotations, include an EOR letter, and all of the bonafide marriage evidence that you can generate - then showing up on interview day may not be useful. I don't have any 'gut-sense' about Jakarta, the way I do about Guangzhou. I will say this - if you'd make 3 or more trips to see her, prior to interview day, that, in itself, carries some weight on interview day.

re: tracking down papers and Indonesian Bureacracy - I hope you left Indonesia with a copy of her birth certificate and a copy of the marriage certificate. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUBMIT ANY originals of these, on initial I-130 submittal. You must send originals to NVC, during NVC processing.

HTH ! (sorry I wasn't definitive in some spots )

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Where is an example or explanation of this?

oh right jjjdddlll thank you. I'm not sure i understand exactly what that document is, if only a summary and explanation of our relationship written and signed by me, why does it need to be notarized? perhaps an example would help me understand better, i tried googling and found another vj post or two but no examples

dec ** 2007 first met

July 30 2010 NOA 1

oh right jjjdddlll thank you. I'm not sure i understand exactly what that document is, if only a summary and explanation of our relationship written and signed by me, why does it need to be notarized? perhaps an example would help me understand better, i tried googling and found another vj post or two but no examples

oops wouldnt let me edit so posting again...

When i think of the wording of the"evolution of relationship letter" I'm not sure to err on the side of lots of info or directly stating facts only, if only facts, such as my knowledge of bahasa indonesia, our shared language, maybe it doesent convey as much "evidence" as it could but if too lengthy and poetic i fear the IO may set it aside before reading as their days are most likely pretty busy.

dec ** 2007 first met

July 30 2010 NOA 1

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Indonesia&cty=&dfilter=5

This link has reviews from couples from Indonesia about their interview experience. Check it out! :thumbs: and good luck! :)

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline

Ya know, it's weird. I talk about EORs much, but never see any examples for China, here.

I'll give you a current rough draft version of mine...

-----

My Name

My Address

City/State/Zip

USCIS

Chicago Lockbox address

Chicago, IL, zip

Date:

REF: Evolution of Relationship with LASTNAME, Firstname, China Passport #

Dear Sirs -

I became acquainted with my wife on 2,1,2006 through our mutual membership in XYZ web portal. We exchanged a few emails there, then started talking every day via YIM and Telephone starting on 4,1,2006. (See Reference 1 and 2). We decided to become serious, and become engaged, on Dec 2, 2006. (See Reference 3)

On Dec 29th, 2006, I went to China for a month, spending time with her and her family (see Reference 4,5,6,7 and 8). We had an engagement party on Jan 17th, 2007 (See Reference 9). We travelled to Chengdu to visit her mother's family, from Jan 19 to Jan 27 (see Reference 10).

I returned to Texas on Jan 29th, and returned to China on March 11th, 2007, staying with my wife for 4 months (see Reference 10). We travelled together around Wuhan, two trips to Chengdu, a trip to BeiJing (see Reference 11, 12, 13 and 14).

I returned to China for the 3rd time in December 29, 2007, for 5 weeks. We were married on January 23, 2008 (see Reference 15, 16 and 17).

My 4th trip was for 2 months, from June 1st to July 31st, 2008 (see Reference 18, 19, 20), visiting with her father in Wuhan, and her mother in Chengdu. My 5th trip was for one month, from December 3rd, 2009, to Jan 4, 2010 (See Reference 21, 22, 23), visiting with her grandmother in Chengdu (see Reference 24 ). My 6th trip was for two months, from March 3rd, 2010 to May 4th, 2010, we stayed together in Wuhan for this duration. (see Reference 25, 26, 27)

During all of my visits to China, I worked remotely for my company, handling all matters via telephone, fax, and internet, with my wife at my side (see Reference 28).

We communicate verbally in both Chinese and English, via email in Chinese, via YIM in both Chinese and English (see Ref 29, 30, 31).

We are planning on starting a family, trying for twins, during my next visit, scheduled for July 18th, 2010. We have a meeting with a fertility specialist this trip, and she's been getting ready with Chinese Herbal medicine and Western Medicine.

I have met all of her families in Wuhan and Chengdu, I feel I've been adopted by all. My wife and I are very much in love, and look forward to a happy life together in the USA. I am very close to her uncles on her mother's side, in Chengdu, and her brothers in Wuhan. ALL OF US have big cooking parties when I am there (see Reference 32) - Cooking is important in Chinese Culture, I felt was important to assimilate all Cooking Skills for my wife's benefit.

I thank you for your time in reviewing this letter, and hope that you can use it, in determining the bonafides of our relationship.

Respectfully submitted,

[/s Mr. Darnell ]

--------

Now, this thing has GROWN over the years, and I've added in major timeticks of visits. Each Reference Item is another paragraph in an attachment, some of them reference photographs that were included in the evidence pile, some other are references of receipts. I try not to get sappy with this letter, or longwinded, or fill it with fluff. I leave that to each reference item ;)

---

FWIW, some HCMC interviewees bring a timeline in some other format.

The EOR 'format' for GUZ grew out of a BLUE SLIP, ages past (not mine, someone elses) - GUZ IV asked for specific things, and I learned about it on a China Specific WebSite.

----

HTH !

Oh cool! thanks for showing us yours, 'helps me tons to see. So Yeah the paperwork in indonesia has been a challenge, she finally got the wedding certificate and birth certificate (after an official working at the office extorted $$ from us and put us 3 months back in our plans.. anyway) Those are physically in Bali with my wife but i have photocopies to send with my I-130, i was somehow under the impression that the real certificates were needed only at the interview, I will re-visit the VJ guides and the official instructions from the I-130 .pdf

dec ** 2007 first met

July 30 2010 NOA 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.