RobbyUSA

Joint Bank Account: Married(US citizen + Romanian citizen)

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I really don't understand why this information is not available anywerhere on the internet. Not even on Visa Jouney when I did a search!

simple question. How do I open up a joint bank account with my wife who is NOT a US citizen. She is a Romanian citizen who lives in Romania. We got marriend in Romania 7 months ago and would like to open up a joint bank account here in the USA... but my wife Daniela seems no to meet the requirements to open up a joint bank account. (she has no USA SSN or green card, etc....)

Edited by RobbyUSA

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

The info is here on VJ, I've posted it so many times...

Google IRS Form W-8BEN. Download the PDF and send it to her as it needs her original signature. You can use Foxit PDF Reader to fill in the required blanks so she just prints, signs & mails it back to you.

Present this form to your bank to have her added to your existing account. If they say something about needing a SSN as to speak to someone superior to them as all that is needed is the W-8BEN Form.

State Farm Bank has no problem with this process and being an on-line only bank they refund all ATM fees (even when used at foreign ATMs).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I really don't understand why this information is not available anywerhere on the internet. Not even on Visa Jouney when I did a search!

simple question. How do I open up a joint bank account with my wife who is NOT a US citizen. She is a Romanian citizen who lives in Romania. We got marriend in Romania 7 months ago and would like to open up a joint bank account here in the USA... but my wife Daniela seems no to meet the requirements to open up a joint bank account. (she has no USA SSN or green card, etc....)

Well, i don t know if that would help, but i have no green card yet nor my visa and still live in france, but my amercian wife managed to put my name on her account i think..i will have to double check, but what i do know for sure is she got me a credit cards for her 2 accounts, without any trouble.

I ll ask her and will get back to you ASAP.

NVC:

Case number assigned : 10/12/2010

IIN received: 10/21/2010

paid AOS bill: 10/22/2010

Sent AOS: 10/25/2010

paid IV bill: 10/28/2010

Received confirmation COA: 10/28/2010

Sent IV+DS230: 10/29/2010

AOS entered in the system: 11/08/2010

IV entered in the system: 11/12/2010

Stupid RFE on birth certificate: 11/24/2010

Send German birth certificate : 11/26/2010

German birth certificate received by NVC : 11/29/2010

RFE entered in the system : 12/07/2010

SIF: 12/15/2010

Case complete: 12/16/2010

Holiday in Martinique with my wonderful wife : 12/31/2010

Interview : 02/22/2011

Visa in hand : 02/28/2011

POE DALLAS : 03/01/2011

Okay thank you... the form seems easy to fill out except for line 6.. does my Romanian Wife who has no SSN also have to apply for a ITIN form? All we want is to open up a joint bank account with a USA bank with both our names on it. Here is the instructions:

Line 6. If you are an individual, you are generally required to enter your social security number (SSN). To apply for an SSN, get Form SS-5 from a Social Security Administration (SSA) office or, if in the United States, you may call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. Fill in Form SS-5 and return it to the SSA.

If you do not have an SSN and are not eligible to get one, you must get an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). To apply for an ITIN, file Form W-7 with the IRS. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to get an ITIN.

The info is here on VJ, I've posted it so many times...

Google IRS Form W-8BEN. Download the PDF and send it to her as it needs her original signature. You can use Foxit PDF Reader to fill in the required blanks so she just prints, signs & mails it back to you.

Present this form to your bank to have her added to your existing account. If they say something about needing a SSN as to speak to someone superior to them as all that is needed is the W-8BEN Form.

State Farm Bank has no problem with this process and being an on-line only bank they refund all ATM fees (even when used at foreign ATMs).

Edited by RobbyUSA

State Farm Bank Account Eligibility:

•The individual(s) on the account must have a Social Security Number (SSN), Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

So in order to open up an account she will need an ITIN number. I guess you are wrong about what form I need because the form needed for the ITIN number is NOT the W-8BEN form. You need a W7 form to get the ITIN number.

Or am I missing something? It would be nice if there was a simple guide or a link. Maybe there is... but no luck finding it.

Edited by RobbyUSA

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

This is a simple question too, "How do I change the color of my eyes from brown to blue?" but I doubt you'll find an answer to it on the internet. Unless you can find a bank that will add her without a SSN or ITIN, you just don't do it until she gets here and has an SSN or until you can get an ITIN. Getting an ITIN for somebody who has never been to the USA and has their passport with them abroad, is usually NOT worth the trouble.

Bear in mind a joint bank account is not required for the spouse visa process. If you want your wife to have access to a US bank account with your money in it, I suggest you open an additional account for yourself and send her the debit card. You can put as much money in the account as you wish and she can access it through an ATM.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The Patriot Act put an end, alas, to making joint account with foreign spouse who lives outside of the USA. It's d@mn near (emphasis on 'near' ) impossible to get joint account without her feet on the ground in USA.

But - even with that said - it's possible, as Bob has mentioned, to make it happen.

The IRS Form W-8BEN can be useful, sure, but ....

It still has an ID requirement.

Near as I can flesh this out, Robby -

You got married 7 months ago - so that would be prior to DEC 31, 2009. Since you married in 2009, you are entitled to file a joint tax return (you and your wife). Assuming you already filed a return NOT with 'joint status' - you should (in this order)

--file 1040X with W-7 form to special W-7 address in Austin TX

--wait for the ITIN # to be issued

--file IRS Form W-8BEN with your bank, to open joint account.

There are specific ID requirements on the W-7 form, please review the instructions.

---

Errata

-

W-7 form is an IRS form, available for d/l on the IRS website. Up until 2 years ago, could apply for ITIN without filing any tax return. Now, with minor exception (foreign national buying US Securities/Stocks), is near impossible to simply 'apply for ITIN' without filing a tax return, all together to the SPECIAL W-7 address in Austin, TX. It's a PITA, as 'that year's return' is now a 'paper return' instead of anything electronic. Sure, is possible for any refund to be sent to you via ACH, but is also impossible for any RAL process (Refund Anticipation Loan) since yer filing via paper, direct to IRS-Austin.

-

1040X is the 'Amended Tax Return'

Good Luck with all, let us know how it turns out?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

"I suggest you open an additional account for yourself and send her the debit card. You can put as much money in the account as you wish and she can access it through an ATM."

I was thinking of doing this for my fiancée to give her easier access to the funds she'll need for the embassy fees, medicals, etc.. I would prefer that she have a card of her own and not one with my name on it but if it's only for ATM use, I don't think it's a problem. Obviously, she couldn't use it for any POS transactions as they check ID for everything there.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

whatever....... I will just talk to the Banks directly to see what is needed for us to have a Joint Bank Account. I need this because when she sells her place in Romania... we will need $75,000 + for her to become a US citizen. Because I have no tax returns that meet the minimum requirents, etc...

We want an account with both our names on it even if it's not required because it will be our money... not just mine.

I will try Citi Bank and HSBC Bank.... plus maybe State Farm Bank

no help here on VJ :(

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

whatever....... I will just talk to the Banks directly to see what is needed for us to have a Joint Bank Account. I need this because when she sells her place in Romania... we will need $75,000 + for her to become a US citizen. Because I have no tax returns that meet the minimum requirents, etc...

We want an account with both our names on it even if it's not required because it will be our money... not just mine.

After you spin your wheels and beat your head against the wall trying to do something nearly impossible, I hope you'll realize you got exactly the help you needed here but simply chose to disregard it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

whatever....... I will just talk to the Banks directly.

Wow. OK !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Because I have no tax returns that meet the minimum requirents, etc...

OK - you have larger issues then, for any 'affadavit of support'.

Good Luck, whatever path you choose.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

There is no need of ITIN or SSN to open a bank account in the US and a foreign spouse only needs an ITIN if you include them in your tax filings.

In the space where ITIN or SSN is requested simply place N/A.

What you will need are good copies of your spouse's ID such as Passport or other Government issued ID.

Timeline

Bob - actually, for me, this is some great news. I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend, without ITIN.

Edited by Darnell

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.