elya

Anyone had this happen at Moscow embassy??

80 posts in this topic

As the others have said, don't think it means anything too serious. They're probably just checking something in a little more detail.

Keep up with the email inquiries. They'll get back to you one of these days.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Good advice Brad. If you use congressional help and they CAN help, then you have to "let go the wheel" and let them do their thing which does not happen overnight.

Anther thing you need to be aware of is that they CAN do this at any point actually and my guess is that if it hadn't happened now, it would have for the AOS process...and still could. I do recall one case similar to this where a fiance from Canada got his visa, but was turned back at the border when he tried to enter the US because of some similar thing. It is not over, really, until he becomes a citizen. Though I imagine once you get past this hurdle, whatever it is, it ought to get better.

Good thought about the AOS Gary. To the OP, collect all the documentation you can about this situation along the way. Save all the email, letters, etc. in hard copy for the interview and POE - just in case. Sometimes flags in the State Dept. computer system are taken out by consular, but I would be nervous that, with this amount of time in the system, there might be issues clearing passport control or AOS if the computers don't scrub data the same way.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Good thought about the AOS Gary. To the OP, collect all the documentation you can about this situation along the way. Save all the email, letters, etc. in hard copy for the interview and POE - just in case. Sometimes flags in the State Dept. computer system are taken out by consular, but I would be nervous that, with this amount of time in the system, there might be issues clearing passport control or AOS if the computers don't scrub data the same way.

Thanks for the suggestions... gosh I hope that once we get through this he won't get stopped at POE. That would just kill me! At least for AOS if they want to review us again we will be here together...

I will try to get copies of the letters the congressman's aide sent and received. But from what they told me, the responses they did get were pretty generic. All real communication from the embassy, besides one generic response e-mail "The case is in administrative review", has only been by phone - when they called him to ask for the visa back, and when the asked his parents questions. We never even received an official paper about the administrative review, as people do when they get administrative review after the interview, and we didn't receive any sort of official request, or even e-mail, for him to return the visa and why. Which seems improper, but I have no idea how to complain about it or whether there is even any point to do so. Honestly one of my first thoughts when he got the phone call was "what if it's not really them calling, how do we know?" But I guess who else could it have been... And our lawyer advised to definitely return it immediately.

From what I've heard and our experience so far, basically we expect no more than a phone call if he gets invited for a second interview or if they approve/deny the visa. Any suggestions on how to get stuff from them in writing? Without causing further delays or ticking anyone off?

And, stupid mistake, we didn't even make a photocopy of the visa before he gave it back....argh. hindsight is 20/20 :-(

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

And, stupid mistake, we didn't even make a photocopy of the visa before he gave it back....argh. hindsight is 20/20 :-(

Don't worry about it. The visa will remain in his passport even if it is cancelled. No one will remove pages from his passport, or intentionally damage a page. If they cancel the visa, it will be in his passport with a cancel stamp and a code on it. The code ties to the consular reg. code reason for denial.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Having spent about 5 or 6 months in Administrative Review I can sympathise with you. Mine came at NVC and I am sure it would be a lot worse after you think everything is done and behind you. What happened to you is very rare. There was a point a few years ago when that happened fairly often. Most cases are resolved faster than yours has been so I hope yours does not take much longer.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline

I have been reading a lot on another forum about 221(g) administrative processing for fiance or immigrant visas... a lot of cases do finish more quickly, but some of them scare me so much, 15 months, 18 months, 3 years, 5 years! It's just impossible to plan anything when you think that we could get his visa back tomorrow... or in 5 years!

Trying to stay optimistic but it's tough... this is already the longest time we've ever gone without seeing each other :-( Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions and support, and wishes for a fast resolution to anyone and everyone out there who is also stuck in AP!!

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There is small chance he was flagged for a MANTIS check, IMO. When you next talk to that US Rep's immigration liason staffer, inquire about any MANTIS check, directly.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

this is already the longest time we've ever gone without seeing each other :-(

Did you guys grow up together or something?

Not trying to be a smart@$$, just trying to remind you to keep it in perspective. Yes a few extra months may seem like forever but in reality, it's only a few extra months. It's not going to be five years. Quit punishing yourself by reading peoples' 221g horror stories. Keep your eyes on the prize, stay in contact with your Congressman's aide and keep up with regular e-mails to the embassy once or twice a week.

This will all be over with soon.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not trying to be a smart@$$, just trying to remind you to keep it in perspective. Yes a few extra months may seem like forever but in reality, it's only a few extra months. It's not going to be five years. Quit punishing yourself by reading peoples' 221g horror stories. Keep your eyes on the prize, stay in contact with your Congressman's aide and keep up with regular e-mails to the embassy once or twice a week.

Often we will get jumped on now for saying something like this, and it is not from the perspective of a short timeline (which it usually gets blamed on and I did not even look at Slim's timeline)

It is from the perspective that this is a lifelong deal, it is not a dinner date. It is WAY too much trouble for a dinner date, no matter what he looks like. He WILL arrive and then you will be in for the ride of your life and you have not prepared for it and 2 more years couldn't prepare you for it. One year down the road, from now, from when he arrives, from when he has a green card...take your pick...and it all fades to distant memories. And I will still be dealing with the USCIS for several more years to come between the three people. Every year for the next four years, at least, there will be some big "event" to file for and go through. Not to mention that I have been doing this for 2.5 years already. When it is "all done" it will be nearly 7 years total, start to finish. Meeting to Naturalization. What you are doing now is part of that journey. Think of it as a road trip from New York to California. You just got a flat tire in Ohio. It is a flat tire, a nuisance, that is all. Deal with it, it is life with an immigrant spouse/children.

Not to sound uncaring, believe me, we have all been through BS with the various government agencies. Just understand this is not the last inconvenience, the visa is not "the end" of the journey, it a milestone, but not the end, it is not even half way.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I can't even imagine what this would feel like. I'd heard of APs occuring after the applicant had already been told that the visa was approved. But to have to return your passport after the visa has been issued and then be in AP for months is just terrible.

I'm so sorry it happened to you. Hang in there and keep up with the enquiries.

I wish you all the best. It probably has to do with some mix-up, I think. Maybe the CO missed it and the supervisor caught it. Could be a name/address issue. Maybe they're checking his immigration history? Any discrepancies (in basic biographic details) with your current petition/visa and his previous ones? I'd suggest you go over all the paperwork in great detail.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

I think it's very unfair to say that to the OP...and you don't know how long it will be whether it's short or long...one of our UK members who was a natural-born English ancestry woman was put into AP after initially being told she was approved with no obvious red flags. And she's been stuck there since February...the truth is that we don't know how long each individual AP takes.

OP, I wish the best for you and your fiance and that the visa will be issued soon.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Often we will get jumped on now for saying something like this, and it is not from the perspective of a short timeline (which it usually gets blamed on and I did not even look at Slim's timeline)

I don't have a timeline. Although, if I did, it would say something to the effect of "I knew my fiancee for five years before we filed. As of this month, we've been going through this VJ for 10 years."

It only took three posts to get jumped on. Not bad.

It is from the perspective that this is a lifelong deal, it is not a dinner date. It is WAY too much trouble for a dinner date, no matter what he looks like.

Exactly where I was coming from. Often I see folks on here who are still going through the process and who assume that because we've already been through it that we either didn't face our fair share of burden or we're insensitive now because we're "above" USCIS now that our SO has arrived. Folks - this kind of stuff happened before too! Also, keep in mind many of us with our SO here put in a lot longer "wait time" than some of you do today. Processing times today are rather quick compared to what they once were.

this is not the last inconvenience, the visa is not "the end" of the journey, it a milestone, but not the end, it is not even half way.

After several years of "time served" I look back on the visa part as "the easiest part of this whole process."

I think it's very unfair to say that to the OP

Oh boo hoo.

...and you don't know how long it will be whether it's short or long...one of our UK members who was a natural-born English ancestry woman was put into AP after initially being told she was approved with no obvious red flags. And she's been stuck there since February...the truth is that we don't know how long each individual AP takes.

So, you as a person who doesn't know how long it's going to take, are telling me, as another person who doesn't know how long it's going to take, that it's very unfair of me to post that the OP should relax and not be too concerned over this whole thing since nobody knows how long it's going to take?

What should I be telling her? Horror stories of folks waiting FOUR months? Whooooptidy freakin doooo. FOUR months. My point is a few months is really not that long in the grand scheme of things. While it may seem like FOURever while we're trying to make preparations for new life together and plans for the future, in the grand scheme of things a few months of extra waiting is not that big of a deal and instead of pulling our hair out, losing sleep and being all depressed over it, we should be able to go on with our lives while patiently awaiting the eventual positive outcome.

This is why I recommend folks stay out of other forums unless they want specific advice on paperwork. The "horror stories" of all the "what ifs" that "could be happening" that are, in truth, nothing more than simple delays (and correctly done in response to numerous red flags, I might add) that will be cleared up in due time.

The sky is not falling.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I knew you would get pounced on by the "I-really-don't-care-about-anyone-but-me-but-internet-ink-is-free-so-why-not-act-like-it" crowd that thinks some greater purpose is served by pretending it is an outrage to have a 4 month delay in a lifelong process. They offer no advice to the OP but lots of internet "hugs". They are almost always flying a UK or Canadian flag. Mostly people that never did any work with the government (but want them to run their healthcare) and do not understand it can take one department of the government YEARS to approve a permit application for another part of the government.

These same people, if marrying a domestic mate without government approval, would think nothing of waiting 4 months to get the banquet hall date they want, or 4 months to have a wedding dress made, but because they are in love and can't stand to be apart the government should fly through the process so they aren't kept apart. :crying:

I was never apart from Alla for more than 6 weeks. Just get on a plane and GO, there are non-stops every day from New York, the government is NOT keeping you apart. The OP is free to go visit anytime she wants. She can wait outside the consulate with her fiancee for word.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It is a paradox for me to be both on my own visa journey and to be an American citizen. That is to say, while I want everyone on here to be successful with their K-1s or CR-1s, I also want the US to be safe from terrorists, spies, and those who work against our way of life.

Frankly, we're not on the best of terms with Russia and now Ukraine at the moment. Undoubtedly, Russia continues to infiltrate the US with spies even if not with the same intensity as under the USSR. Russia is, after all, run by former KGB leadership. The communists seem to be making a come back even in places like the Czech Republic. There are bad people out there who want to get into the US for mischief or secret information.

So, if the government is not comfortable granting someone a visa without a full review and maybe some extra time to make sure this person is not a bad guy, good for them.

I know we could never believe our wives would be spies or terrorists, but how do we really know? If they're well trained, they know how to make it look good. It would be a great way to infiltrate the US and we might never suspect any foul play...but we could be fat, old, bald dupes.

Yeah, I know this sounds nuts, but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I hear what Slim and Gary and Alla are saying and it makes sense, intellectually.

But I still remember the (probably routine) Administrative Review we experienced in my wife's K3 process. It didn't last that long, but those were a few tough months for me. And I had the option of fairly frequent travel to Russia in those days. A lot of people don't have that advantage. I hope elya and her fiance get through this hurdle quickly, so that they can soon look back on it and wonder why they were so impatient. Right now, impatience and distress are completely reasonable reactions to this episode over which they have essentially no control.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.