elya

Anyone had this happen at Moscow embassy??

80 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Your situation really stinks and is one that I have not seen very often out of the Moscow embassy. You really need to learn more about exactly what it was that caused them to reject the visa.

Thanks... we have our suspicions but we will try to confirm that the address really is it. Since the embassy has ignored my last e-mails, I asked the Congressman's office to inquire again. If that fails, I'll try a more strongly worded e-mail :-)

I would think that the OP should know exactly what is the problem with the addresses that were listed. The entire petition and visa process is very clear cut and only asks for simple information. Look back on your copy of what was sent, what addresses were listed on the G-325A and all other documents submitted. Did you list them all?

The issue with the address is as follows: He lived in Russia in his own apartment and then moved to the U.S. (with his ex-wife). While he was in the U.S. his parents sold their and his apartments ("his" apartment was legally theirs, too)and used the money to go to Moscow and buy an apartment there. He no longer had any permanent address in Russia to list on his old immigration paperwork so he listed his parent's apartment. And, apparently, the parents registered him there (not sure how that could happen without his presence - but oh well). Anyway, by the time he moved back to Russia, his parents had sold that Moscow apartment and bought a new one, which he moved in to with them and now lives at and has been registered at since he got back. So, stupid on us, it never occurred to us to list this as a place he lived since he never even saw the inside of that apartment. Obviously now we know.

Make SURE all information is accurate. You know there was some inaccurate information, make sure that doesn't happen again. If ALL the information is accurate it would be difficult for them to find out it isn't.

The US consulate does not care that he was living at an address other than his registered one, they DO care that he had a registered address and never listed it.

yep... i guess we figured that out :-( we really didn't consider that we were giving inaccurate information - rather that what we said was the most accurate, because he was NEVER even physically present in that apartment. but i guess that was a mistake.

Something big obviously made them demand the visa to be returned and now denied. I would think you should be able to determine exactly what is missing or incorrect.

I guess this is my biggest concern. That's the ONLY thing we have. Like you said it's pretty clear-cut what they ask for, everything we told them is accurate. I quadruple-checked our forms!!! And we discussed everything about his history in depth as well, he is just as much at a loss as I am, except for that address.

This stupid missing address just doesn't feel like the "something big" that would justify them doing this (calling to have his approved visa returned, 7 months of administrative review, denial). His Mom explained exactly what the issue was and why he didn't list that address at the time they called. I think it's obvious we weren't trying to hide anything and hey- they found the address so they could do all the related background checks to it they wanted. Oh well, it is something they could justifiably use, so I guess we're officially set back another year or so.

Hope we will get some more information out of them to confirm our theory. I think we will try that for a few weeks at best, then try another I-129F as Gary suggested. And if we get any other info later along the line we can go for the I-130 at that point... although I don't know, we keep going back and forth. I guess we need to take a few days to research and let everything germinate a bit before really deciding anything...

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks... we have our suspicions but we will try to confirm that the address really is it.

If that fails, I'll try a more strongly worded e-mail :-)

Always, always be professional and tactful. It may take some prodding but you can not and should not bully the Embassy around.

the parents registered him there (not sure how that could happen without his presence - but oh well).

Maybe this is the heart of the issue. If you can not be registered without actually living there, then since he was registered, then obviously, to the Embassy, he was living there. And to complicate it, both he and his parents have stated that he was not living there. So the admission to doing the Russian registration incorrectly may be major enough of an issue to cause them to deny the visa. I admit this sounds trivial to us here in the US (where we don't have to report in to the police every time we use a different commode) but it may be a major "issue" in Russia and therefore makes the ranking higher.

Hope we will get some more information out of them to confirm our theory. I think we will try that for a few weeks at best, then try another I-129F as Gary suggested. And if we get any other info later along the line we can go for the I-130 at that point... although I don't know, we keep going back and forth. I guess we need to take a few days to research and let everything germinate a bit before really deciding anything...

I'm also glad you didn't construe my comments to think that he was hiding something from you or to challenge your relationship.

I'll ask my Alla about this registration thang and how serious it is or can be and what can be done (money usually works wonders) to rectify the situation or grease it for a future effort.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Maybe this is the heart of the issue. If you can not be registered without actually living there, then since he was registered, then obviously, to the Embassy, he was living there. And to complicate it, both he and his parents have stated that he was not living there. So the admission to doing the Russian registration incorrectly may be major enough of an issue to cause them to deny the visa. I admit this sounds trivial to us here in the US (where we don't have to report in to the police every time we use a different commode) but it may be a major "issue" in Russia and therefore makes the ranking higher.

I'll ask my Alla about this registration thang and how serious it is or can be and what can be done (money usually works wonders) to rectify the situation or grease it for a future effort.

So the update I talked to my fiance. Apparently he was not only registered there, but listed as an owner! Apparently, the person who pays for the apartment can put as many owners on as he/she wants, with or without their signature/consent :wacko: And then they can sell "his" apartment with a simple power of attorney...

Anyway, he says it IS legal to be registered there without actually being there, and that there is no requirement for him to be physically present and sign for his own registration. So, his parents didn't bend any rules.

I know registration is a big deal in Russia, I really hope this doesn't come back again to haunt us. But I think the critical part here is that, although he lived in the U.S. for 7 years it was always in a non-immigrant status, so he had to maintain his official permanent home in Russia. I guess we need to list two residences (one in the U.S. and one in Russia) for any given time during that period, as opposed to just listing the addresses where he with the dates in which he was physically present there. ARGH! and i thought we were so on top of things...

God I wish we had gotten an RFE for this at the petition stage instead of getting a CANCELLATION and DENIAL after going through the whole #$(&! process + 7 months of administrative review...

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/11/04 - POE

Timeline

well I just found another couple on here who was told the same thing... "contains inaccurate information." I thought that was a sort of unique and at least semi-personalized statement but maybe that's just the generic ####### they tell everyone.

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/11/04 - POE

Timeline

And an H-1b applicant in India(!) got the exact same letter we did practically VERBATIM. this must be a copy-paste from some sample that USCIS provides to all embassies.

grr.. maybe I am overthinking this address thing and that's not really it? i really hope they respond to the congressman's request for more info.

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/11/04 - POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.