rebeccajo

American Families United

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I've become involved with this group as a result of our AOS petition being stuck for over a year in FBI namecheck clearance. American Families United is a group who hopes to add amendments to any immigration legislation that gets passed in the new administration. They want to impact immigration in regards to families and make sure that any changes to the law (which will surely happen) help families as well as any other class of immigrant.

Here's a chance for you to become acquainted with the group, and also to bid (if you are interested) on eight auction items, 6 of which are consultations with immigration attorneys.

If you have questions about the group, please ask here in this thread or PM me. AFU is trying to raise funds to pay for the services of Bruce Morrison, a former congressman who is our lobbyist. This is a REAL policitical action group that is small, but has some real muscle. If you've ever wanted to have a voice in immigration issues I think you might find this interesting.

Please let's not have any discussion in this thread about EWI's vs. legal immigrants. AFU wants to impact the law in such a way that any of the benefits that are perceived to benefit 'illegal' immigrants are given to those who have followed the system legally. The two areas they are working to impact are the namecheck issue and waivers.

Read a little about the organization in the message below from Randall Emery, one of the founders of AFU. If you're interested in the auction, there's a link in the message. You can also look around the website from that link.

Thanks for looking.

"We've had a great couple of months at American Families United. We

organized as a formal non-profit, we've been featured in the New York

Times and in other papers, and our membership has grown significantly.

This comes to us at a very important time. All analysis of the

chances to address any of the issues that affect our families points

to a period of intense activity between January and September. To

capitalize on this opportunity, we need to raise funds for lobbying

support. To that end, we are auctioning off several donated goods and

services at a new board on our forum:

http://americanfamiliesunited.com/forum/index.php?board=31.0

Please join us in this fund raising effort. We really need your help.

A review of the items up for auction follows:

1. Consultation with Former Congressman Bruce Morrison - ends Dec 16, 2006

In Congress, Bruce Morrison served as chairman of the Immigration

Subcommittee from 1989-1991. He was a co-sponsor of the Immigration

Act of 1990 or H.R. 4300 and a provision of the bill became known as

the Morrison Visa Program. Currently, he works as an immigration

attorney and lobbyist.

Bruce Morrison can consult on any immigration situation. The top

bidder can be from any location and the consultation can take place

over the phone and by email.

2. Consultation w/Former AILA President James Orlow - ends Dec 16th, 2006

Two half-hour consultations with former president of the American

Immigration Lawyers Association, James Orlow, are offerred. James

Orlow specializes in complex immigration cases, and is known as an

expert in filing Writ of Mandamus cases for pending name check delays.

Winners must travel to the Orlow & Orlow office in Philadelphia in

person. If English is a second language, you must bring a translator.

3. Consultation with Mark Silverman - ends Dec 16, 2006

Mark Silverman is Director of Immigration Policy for the Immigrant

Legal Resource Center. Mr. Silverman has extensive experience with in

I-601 waivers, family immigration law (rather than procedure), and NACARA.

The top bidder can be from any area. The consultation will take place

over email.

4. Consultation with Daniel Huang - ends Dec 16, 2006

Daniel Huang has the distinction of specializing in the field of

immigration litigation. Since January of 2001, Mr. Huang has brought

over 150 lawsuits against the Legacy INS and U.S. Department of

Homeland Security in Mandamus and Habeas matters in U.S. District

Courts. Moreover, he has litigated abandonment and entry issues before

the Ninth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals. Mr. Huang is known as an

expert in filing Writ of Mandamus cases for pending name check delays.

The winner can meet with Mr. Huang at his office in Alhambra, CA or

the consultation can take place over the phone.

5. Consultation with Laurel Scott - ends Dec 16, 2006

Two half-hour consultations with Laurel Scott are offered. Laurel

Scott specializes in the I-601 Waiver of Ground of Excludability. The

I-601 Waiver is most commonly required if the alien has committed

immigration fraud, has a criminal record, or has been unlawfully

present in the United States for more than 180 days and is now outside

the US. The waiver is available for the fiance(e) of a citizen, the

spouse of a citizen or permanent resident, and for the child of a

citizen or permanent resident.

Because immigration law is federal, Laurel Scott may serve clients

outside of Texas, where she is licensed. Winners can meet with Laurel

Scott in her Houston, Texas office or the consultation can take place

over the phone.

6. Consultation with Rekha Sharma-Crawford - ends Dec 16, 2006

Rekha Sharma-Crawford is licensed to practice law in the States of

Kansas, Texas, and Michigan and has been practicing in the immigration

litigation field since 2000. She is admitted to the US Supreme Court,

District of Kansas, Western District of Missouri, and the Federal

Appeals Courts for the Fifth, Seventh, Eighth and Tenth Circuits.

Rehka is very experienced in filing Writ of Mandamus cases for pending

name check delays.

The top bidder can meet with Rekha Sharma-Craford in person in

Overland Park, Kansas, or the consultation can take place over the

phone from any location.

7. Training courses at Scipace.com - ends Jan 13, 2007

Ten $60 credits at scipace.com are offered. Each credit is good for

either one or two courses in the following categories:

* End User Business Skills Development

* End User Desktop Computing

* End User Home and Small Business

* Insurance Professional Development

* Technical General

* Technical Microsoft

* Technical Web Development

These credits are donated by Mohammad Siddiqui, president of

scipace.com, who is also a volunteer and is separated from his

American citizen wife due to immigration law.

8. Fresh Water Pearl Necklace by Paola Andrea - ends Jan 13, 2007

Paola's jewelry is sold at high fashion boutiques in seven different

states. The fresh water pearl choker pictured above is her best

selling item. For more information, please see www.paolaandrea.com.

Paola married to Randall Emery, who is Secretary/Treasurer of American

Families United."

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Wow, that's cool that you're involved with them Becca! I didn't know they existed... :thumbs: M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

From their site:

Yes, you do need a lawyer if you are sponsoring a family member for immigration. The absence of skilled legal advice is a huge problem for American citizens sponsoring family members for immigration.

Good legal advice seems expensive, but it is cheap compared with what comes without it. While some people go through the process without a lawyer and have no problems, others find their husband or wife deported because they did not fill out the correct forms the correct way at the correct time. People who find a good lawyer late in the process often end up spending $5,000 to $45,000 more than they would have otherwise, and suffer through years of separation. Saving a couple of hundred dollars up front is not worth the risk down the road.

When searching the web or doing research on your own, please take everything with a grain of salt, and look at it as a way to better understand your options. Getting a better understanding of the system can help you in knowing the right questions to ask and in evaluating your options with a lawyer.

This seems contrary to the experiance and views of most on here who have of course done the process themselves or are doing it themselves.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Just looked up Morrison Visa Programme:

He was a co-sponsor of the Immigration Act of 1990 or H.R. 4300 and a provision of the bill became known as the Morrison Visa Program. It allotted 40000 visas each year for 3 years, with 40% (48000 total) set aside for people from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Polish emigrants won most of the remaining visas.

I must state do not like ex Politicos with their noses in the Lobbying trough.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

From their site:
Yes, you do need a lawyer if you are sponsoring a family member for immigration.

This seems contrary to the experiance and views of most on here who have of course done the process themselves or are doing it themselves.

Indeed. A lawyer in my case would have been a huge waste of money, and I honestly believe that in most cases it would be too. Of course this site was written from the perspective of people who have had severe problems with USCIS, so I understand their stance. IMHO though if you're smart and willing to spend time learning, you can avoid lawyers until something bad happens.

thanks for posting this sister becca...brother dean

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Other Timeline
From their site:
Yes, you do need a lawyer if you are sponsoring a family member for immigration. The absence of skilled legal advice is a huge problem for American citizens sponsoring family members for immigration.

Good legal advice seems expensive, but it is cheap compared with what comes without it. While some people go through the process without a lawyer and have no problems, others find their husband or wife deported because they did not fill out the correct forms the correct way at the correct time. People who find a good lawyer late in the process often end up spending $5,000 to $45,000 more than they would have otherwise, and suffer through years of separation. Saving a couple of hundred dollars up front is not worth the risk down the road.

When searching the web or doing research on your own, please take everything with a grain of salt, and look at it as a way to better understand your options. Getting a better understanding of the system can help you in knowing the right questions to ask and in evaluating your options with a lawyer.

That's true. But we read here everyday of people who muck up their own forms, or could have avoided problems if they had sought counsel.

And besides, doesn't VJ have a recommendation to seek counsel right on the home page?

I've put the info up here about AFU in case anybody is interested. If you're not that's ok. If you've wanted to make your voice heard on immigration there are many choices out there. AFU is just one of them.

There WILL be new immigration law passed in the near future. Part of the problem with immigration law is different laws pertain to different 'classes' of immigrants - i.e. J visas, B visas, K visas, etc. AFU's main thrust will be to see that if there is any legislation introduced, it also benefits family-based immigrants.

There's been lots of bellyaching in these forums that 'EWI' immigrants are about to be granted new protection. If you feel that way and you want to make sure that family-based immigrants benefit from new laws, I'd suggest you look into some organization somewhere that reflects your views. It doesn't do us any good to sit around and grumble on VJ. The only way you can make a difference is to get involved.

*steps off soapbox*

Timeline
From their site:

That's true. But we read here everyday of people who muck up their own forms, or could have avoided problems if they had sought counsel.

And besides, doesn't VJ have a recommendation to seek counsel right on the home page?

I've put the info up here about AFU in case anybody is interested. If you're not that's ok. If you've wanted to make your voice heard on immigration there are many choices out there. AFU is just one of them.

There WILL be new immigration law passed in the near future. Part of the problem with immigration law is different laws pertain to different 'classes' of immigrants - i.e. J visas, B visas, K visas, etc. AFU's main thrust will be to see that if there is any legislation introduced, it also benefits family-based immigrants.

There's been lots of bellyaching in these forums that 'EWI' immigrants are about to be granted new protection. If you feel that way and you want to make sure that family-based immigrants benefit from new laws, I'd suggest you look into some organization somewhere that reflects your views. It doesn't do us any good to sit around and grumble on VJ. The only way you can make a difference is to get involved.

*steps off soapbox*

You also read everyday about people who have used lawyers who have mucked up their applications. Or Notarios.

If you have issues, then by all means a lawyer might be advisable or essential. Or if you can not fill in forms by yourself.

Most do not.

Unless AFU has changed its spots recently it is heavily focussed on the EWI community.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Yep, some people do have issues with completing the forms! And some people need help with issues. That's when a lawyer can be helpful.

disclaimer: this doesn't mean that those able to complete and wade their way through the immigration process without help are more intelligent than those that can't.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Unless AFU has changed its spots recently it is heavily focussed on the EWI community.

If you're dealing with an EWI, all the more reason to use a lawyer, dontcha think?

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this thread today. People reading this thread should know that Boiler has a history of attacking our group. He is not an American citizen by birth and only knows about immigration based on personal experience immigrating here several years ago, during which time, a different set of laws applied. He is unqualified to give immigration advice (in fact, it would be a crime for him to do so) and his criticisms of our group are based on reading very short, real life stories that we have posted on our site, and then making claims as if he was some sort of legal expert, which he is not. He has gone so far as to attack me and my wife personally, as we are one of the stories listed on the web page.

My wife and I were not able to see her family for 4 years, and this is the result of a combination of laws. We had competent lawyers all the way through, and we did everything within the letter and the spirit of the law. When we had our interview, the interviewer said, "I wish every case was so easy." We only got USCIS to do its job and process my wife's case by going to federal court. When we did finally get to visit her family, one of her uncles who I met died less than 2 weeks later. I never had a chance to know him because of the disservice that was done to us. What happened to us was wrong, and I don't think it should happen to anybody else. That is why I helped start American Families United.