seng

mexican vs spanish

48 posts in this topic

The same night I arrived to this country, my husband and I were invited to get dinner at his "best friend"'s place. The food was so spicy that I had to excuse myself; I know it was a rude thing to do, but I was in pain, my mouth was burning and I couldn't swallow anything else. The friend was very surprised and told me that it made no sense that I couldn't eat spicy food being a Latina... "Sweetie", I said, "I'm Latina, but not Mexican... Spicy food isn't something most Venezuelans eat".

I know he cooked all that food with his best intentions and that he might have felt hurt when I rejected it, but what could I have done? I didn't want to get sick the first day!! Nonetheless, this has happened to me SO MANY times, that I don't feel offended anymore... Sad, isn't it?

The good part is that I've decided to inform anyone that shows the slightest interest on immigration issues. For example, if one of my students (high school) asks me anything about my status (some of them are amazed that I'm legally able to work), I tell them about the K-1 and all the process I've been through. I'm just trying to educate as many as I can.

LIFE IS WHAT WE MAKE IT (E. Dickinson)

PREFIERO SER CABEZA DE RATÓN QUE COLA DE LEÓN.

L'HOMME EST CE QU'IL SE FAIT (J.P. Sartre)

ON NE NAÎT PAS FEMME; ON LE DEVIENT (S. De Beauvoir)

ALEA IACTA EST (I. Caesar)

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you hear hoofbeats in central park, you'll assume its a horse not a zebra... Same thing here. People tend to have more experience with Mexicans than Spaniards or individuals from Central/S America so they just assume anyone that speaks Spanish and looks hispanic must be mexican. I can't believe people have mistaken a lot of your spouses from Africa/India as Mexican though! Jeez!

Edited by msu17

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
The same night I arrived to this country, my husband and I were invited to get dinner at his "best friend"'s place. The food was so spicy that I had to excuse myself; I know it was a rude thing to do, but I was in pain, my mouth was burning and I couldn't swallow anything else. The friend was very surprised and told me that it made no sense that I couldn't eat spicy food being a Latina... "Sweetie", I said, "I'm Latina, but not Mexican... Spicy food isn't something most Venezuelans eat".

I know he cooked all that food with his best intentions and that he might have felt hurt when I rejected it, but what could I have done? I didn't want to get sick the first day!! Nonetheless, this has happened to me SO MANY times, that I don't feel offended anymore... Sad, isn't it?

The good part is that I've decided to inform anyone that shows the slightest interest on immigration issues. For example, if one of my students (high school) asks me anything about my status (some of them are amazed that I'm legally able to work), I tell them about the K-1 and all the process I've been through. I'm just trying to educate as many as I can.

spicey food? pass it on over :dance:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

My observations: in New Orleans, Spanish speakers were referred to as Spanish. My father is 100% Mexican but in New Orleans he was "Spanish" and so were my bro and I. My friend from NO who visited me last year here in TX still referred to any Spanish speaker as Spanish and to him, I was still Spanish. Here in Dallas a Mexican is a Mexican and so is almost everyone else (whether they really are or aren't) :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

That's really good :thumbs:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Timeline

spicey food? pass it on over :dance:

Are you gonna share?

If you hear hoofbeats in central park, you'll assume its a horse not a zebra... Same thing here. People tend to have more experience with Mexicans than Spaniards or individuals from Central/S America so they just assume anyone that speaks Spanish and looks hispanic must be mexican. I can't believe people have mistaken a lot of your spouses from Africa/India as Mexican though! Jeez!

I can kinda understand why Ahmed is mistaken for Mexican. He has that creamy-cocoa complexion similar to alot of the Mexican immigrants around here. And we have an extremely large population of Hispanics in the area. The biometrics appointment was in a Hispanic mall and I was the only white person in a 100-ft radius. Everyone else looks at him and thinks "His skin looks like mine, he's at an immigration office in a Hispanic-populated area, he must speak Spanish". It was a logical conclusion, although grossly incorrect.

ETA: Its interesting to note how many people making such quick judgements based on a person's appearance. Im not sure which shocked the little old man (who mistook Ahmed for Hispanic) more; a brown boy who couldnt understand Spanish or the fish-belly pale white chick who did! :lol:

Edited by yassmine2878

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I hear people say Spanish when they mean Hispanic or Latino/a. I've even heard Latinos say it. I don't think it's meant to be derogatory, it's just confusion of terminology.

why do ppl here (in the states) call a mexican "a spanish" there like totally different ppl different culture/background they dont even speak the same spanish

xoxo

smart ###

Maybe you're hearing the word "Hispanic" (a generic description of North-Central-South American Spanish speakers) as "Spanish".

That is also a good point. Some folks may be shortening the word Hispanic, or just not enunciating everything and it comes out sounding like "Spanish". This sort of thing also brings out the uglier derivative of the word Hispanic, though.

Edited by yassmine2878

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

i get confused with a scot..

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I've been mistaken for Indian, and Lai gets mistaken for several non-Chinese Asian nationalities :unsure:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband is pretty light-skinned, but he's been mistaken for Hispanic, sometimes by other Hispanics. If he joins in a pick-up soccer game, there are usually a fair number of Hispanic players, and they often speak to him in Spanish at first. Once, back when he first arrived, one man heard his accented English and asked where he was from. When he told him, the man grinned and said, "Ohh, Bin Laden!" :bonk: Hubby was pretty bummed out for a while after that comment, but now I think he's heard it all and tends to laugh most things off.

The first time I was in Morocco, a begging woman mistook my husband for European and spoke to him in French.

Edited by mona_jamie

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
why do ppl here (in the states) call a mexican "a spanish" there like totally different ppl different culture/background they dont even speak the same spanish

xoxo

smart ###

Ummm, I've never heard anyone call a "Mexican" (because who knows if the people you're referring really are Mexican) "a spanish" ... they're called Hispanic or Latino. My husband says he's Spanish sometimes, but his background is from Spain...

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I live in South Texas and I am always getting mistaken for a Mexican. It's god damned annoying! :angry: Annoying because so many people assume. This region was settled by the Spanish, my ancestors are Spanish. There are some fcukheads who don't even believe me when I tell them I am Spanish by decent.

When people come up to me and speak to me in Spanish, even if I understand them I reply back in Romanian just to show them it's not a nice thing to assume. :whistle:

I can only wonder what I will be mistaken for when I move to England this week :wacko:

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png