mexican vs spanish

48 posts in this topic

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Ive never heard anyone call a mexican a "spanish". I have heard people call anyone who speaks spanish a mexican. Its just ignorance I think.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline
Ive never heard anyone call a mexican a "spanish". I have heard people call anyone who speaks spanish a mexican. Its just ignorance I think.

It doesn't take any speaking Spanish, actually. My wife is mistaken for a Mexican quite often. By Mexicans, actually. They usually have the look like a train just hit them when she says that she's from Africa. Just thought I toss that in since we're talking about ignorance... :whistle:

Timeline

It doesn't take any speaking Spanish, actually. My wife is mistaken for a Mexican quite often. By Mexicans, actually. They usually have the look like a train just hit them when she says that she's from Africa. Just thought I toss that in since we're talking about ignorance... :whistle:

Interesting.

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline
Interesting.

It is indeed. Other than her complexion, I'm really not sure what would lead anyone to believe she's Mexican.

Timeline
Interesting.

It is indeed. Other than her complexion, I'm really not sure what would lead anyone to believe she's Mexican.

Sometimes I guess that's all it takes. She could really blow their minds and learn some spanish to tell them shes from Africa lol

My best friend is Sri Lankan and when she started working in our office.. everyone was "what is she?" lol The guesses were everything from "black" to "pakistani" lol I found it quite amusing.

Your littlegirl is a dollbaby btw

Thanks!

At Olga's Biometrics appointment the man at the entrance spoke to her in Spanish...that lead her to look at me with a very confused look. I said she doesn't speak spanish.

Marc

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

At Olga's Biometrics appointment the man at the entrance spoke to her in Spanish...that lead her to look at me with a very confused look. I said she doesn't speak spanish.

Marc

We had the same thing happen. Except it was the other people in line who rattled at Ahmed in rapid-fire Spanish. I had to explain to the other applicant that my husband didnt understand Spanish. He looked at me as though I were lying. What? Someone cant be brown-skinned and speak another language in Texas? :lol:

And in my experience, around here most Spanish-speaking folks are referred to as Hispanic, just cover all bases.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
We had the same thing happen. Except it was the other people in line who rattled at Ahmed in rapid-fire Spanish. I had to explain to the other applicant that my husband didnt understand Spanish. He looked at me as though I were lying. What? Someone cant be brown-skinned and speak another language in Texas? :lol:

And in my experience, around here most Spanish-speaking folks are referred to as Hispanic, just cover all bases.

that's interesting, i had people do the same thing in san antonio to me. they'd talk to me in spanish, i say something back in german. they finally got the hint.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I am from a Central American country,with dark brown skin. Some Mexicans I meet here, after the shock, ask if I am from Cuba or the Dominican Republic. It is hard to look at a black faced kinky haired woman and learn they are Hispanic. However, my blonde haired, blue eyed coworker is Mexican and she never gets asked that. On the contrary Big Daddy, I had a student a few years ago who traveled here from Germany in an exchange program. He happened to be a 6'5'' black tennis player. He was adopted by a wealthy family as a baby and only knows Germany. The family who received him here were a little unnerved to have a black German in their midst.

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

A one time, at least where I grew up, calling someone a Mexican was kind of bad. All the "Mexicans" I grew up with wanted to be called Spanish.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

For fun I go to Spain and call them Mexicans.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

why do ppl here (in the states) call a mexican "a spanish" there like totally different ppl different culture/background they dont even speak the same spanish

xoxo

smart ###

Maybe you're hearing the word "Hispanic" (a generic description of North-Central-South American Spanish speakers) as "Spanish".

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

In US, I've been mistaken for: Pakistani***, Bangla***, Hispanic and ABCD (due to my Western-Canadianese accent)

In India (just in one city Bangalore), I've been asked questions in: Tamil (my native language), Kannada (duh, it's the capital of the state for that language), Marathi, Hindi, and Urdu.

***Eh, oft even people from the Sub-continent cannot distinguish between these and Indians.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.