BigCityDave

How do you keep the hope?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Let me just say I am starting to get very overwhelmed. Especially looking at things financially. How do you guys do it? I am just a simple college student trying to get by. Luckily my parents have and can support me now with my own personal living costs, but when I get married, life is going to be completley different. I am currently trying to save up money and going to University part time. I am afraid that once I get married things will get too tough money wise, which could eliminate my college education. So I am just wondering, how do you guys make things happen? How do you make it work? How do you bear all these stressful times. Maybe I am worrying too much, maybe I need to learn that this is life. I really do not know. I need some support..

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Hey everyone,

Let me just say I am starting to get very overwhelmed. Especially looking at things financially. How do you guys do it? I am just a simple college student trying to get by. Luckily my parents have and can support me now with my own personal living costs, but when I get married, life is going to be completley different. I am currently trying to save up money and going to University part time. I am afraid that once I get married things will get too tough money wise, which could eliminate my college education. So I am just wondering, how do you guys make things happen? How do you make it work? How do you bear all these stressful times. Maybe I am worrying too much, maybe I need to learn that this is life. I really do not know. I need some support..

Just remember why you're doing it, it'll all be worth it. that's the only advice I can give you really. :unsure:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

you are so cute. you seem young.

focus on priorities. get moral and financial support from your spouse, friends and family, without becoming a victim. everyone needed help and support at some rough point in life. school lasts limited amount of time.it's better to finish the school while you young. things get complicated later. revise your business plan - what are you planning to do in terms of your career, so that you have the goals for your future. they might change, but short term goals are easily tracked. like, i will graduate in 2 years. i will search and find a job at ...... and then do it.

don't have kids before you have means to support them. money is one of the top reasons of failed marriages.

live modestly. live happily. focus what is important in life, which is LIVING, not things. remember that love makes wonders, it's is the true, amazing gift from God. enjoy your love.

don't get into debt. remind yourself over and over and over again. if you rack up even 15K on your credit card in your twenties, you will be paying it off by your 40's

be fearless. if you are afraid of trying things, you will never do anything in life. be strong and smart.

hope this helps!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yeah mate, I couldn't imagine getting married back when I was in college. Maturity and responsibility issues aside, there is no possible way I could have supported a family on $7 an hour part time at the university bookstore. Even now with a very decent job it's a bit difficult, but I get a good raise every January 10th and we have a contract coming up in November that will bump me up at least a few thousand dollars a year (plus a good amount of retro money for not having a contract I hope!) so it can only get better, right? Money will always be an issue though, you really never can have enough of it until you get into the "really rich" category. Try to save what you can, if you party in any way (beer, weed, whatever, I know how college is), cutting back or eliminating that can give you a big cushion for your future, which I'm sure you've considered since jumping into this.

Just try to have a plan, but also be adaptable when things change unexpectedly. A year ago if you told me I was going to fall in love with a girl in Thailand and marry her I probably would have laughed in your face. As far as having hope, you know. If you're as in love as I am, and I'm sure you probably are if you're going through all of this, especially as a college student, then you already have all the hope you need. Six months or even a year or a little longer isn't too bad. I mean, it gives you time to appreciate things. My fiancee wouldn't even be able to move here until May at the earliest anyway so as long as she gets her visa approved before or around that time it will work out fine for us.

Just try to save money, get your affairs in order (for the love of God, finish school mate, you have to if you're going to make a good life for her and your future family), and above all, stay positive. It will all come together one day and then all this waiting will be worth it!

-Drew

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

-Harry Burns

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey everyone,

You do whatever you have to do. I've worked 2 jobs for just over 2 years now. I sold everything there was to sell and live as simply as possible, while still trying to enjoy some of life. It's a give and take. And, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is life. You'll face it over and over again. You'll figure it all out to suit you and yours. Just hang in there. Everything will eventually work itself out. There is definately no reason to stress over it now.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

Thanks for all the support you all have offered me. It has really helped.

Right now I have quite a bit saved up. I am planning on saving even more by the time my Fiance would even get here to America. She as well is saving so we could surivive the 3 months where she cannot work. We plan on having about 10,000 to get started, but honestly I do not know how much you really need to do this stuff? All I know is I want to continue my college education while living the married life. I see lots of students who do go to college while married, but I just don't know how they do it. Do they just work part time and go to school part time or full time? It is possible isnt? Is there anyone here who has done it?

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hey everyone,

Yes, costs increase after marriage! If you and your partner are on the same page, and she understands the financial situation, and both of you buy off on the plan, things should be OK. You've established a common baseline together from which things can only get better. But I can say that when you have 2 different approaches to money or different expectations to handling "tight funds", it can get very stressful! So take the time now to talk to your other half and make certain that what you think is what she thinks or find some middle ground that is comfortable for both of you.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
All I know is I want to continue my college education while living the married life. I see lots of students who do go to college while married, but I just don't know how they do it. Do they just work part time and go to school part time or full time? It is possible isnt? Is there anyone here who has done it?

Some students use credit cards like cash, spend grants and loans like savings, and come out of college owing $80K+.

Heard of doctors with $300K debt and people with masters with $90K+ debt.

You can't assume these other people are spending what they have saved. More than likely they are just digging a deeper hole.

Timeline

Jaseball,

I know exactly what you mean, which is what I am afraid of. It is so hard on me right now because I love this girl dearly and want to be with her. It is very painful because I feel tha the only way we can be together is to get married. There do not seem to be any other ways she can come to America.

My parents, brothers, and even some friends have told me that I should wait to get my college education done before jumping into marriage. They tell me that I will be happier having a career making 50 grand or more a year before I jump into a commitment like this. I just wish there was some way I could be with her while going to school.

This is very distressing for me now...

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Jaseball,

I know exactly what you mean, which is what I am afraid of. It is so hard on me right now because I love this girl dearly and want to be with her. It is very painful because I feel tha the only way we can be together is to get married. There do not seem to be any other ways she can come to America.

My parents, brothers, and even some friends have told me that I should wait to get my college education done before jumping into marriage. They tell me that I will be happier having a career making 50 grand or more a year before I jump into a commitment like this. I just wish there was some way I could be with her while going to school.

This is very distressing for me now...

You can be together but it will require prioritizing and some sacrifice. Is she worth it? If not, stop now. If so, cowboy up!

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

She is worth it to me, but I am afraid of getting into a situation that would cause alot of stress such as the financial problems we would encounter. My Dad continues to tell me that I will be much happier if I have the money for this than to get into debt.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

K1 Visa Petition

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(05-29-08)Interview Date

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
She is worth it to me, but I am afraid of getting into a situation that would cause alot of stress such as the financial problems we would encounter. My Dad continues to tell me that I will be much happier if I have the money for this than to get into debt.

I'm afraid it doesn't work both ways. She's either worth it or she's not. Fear is part of life. We all have it. Once you make a decision, you work through the fear. Sounds like you haven't decided yet.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/