BlueRain77

Not Hiring Immigrants

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
yeah, even if they don't openly admit they'd rather hire a US citizen than a legal immigrant, how can you know if that's not the case?

How do you know that is the case?

The truth is that employers rarely get caught red handed discriminating against any applicant for any reason. Employment in the USA is mostly "at will". Meaning that employees can be hired and fired as necessary. There are all kinds of laws against discrimination, but such charges are very difficult to prove unless the guilty confess or a disgruntled employee reports them with evidence.

From my experience I see quite a lot of foreigners working in the USA, so I don't believe discrimination against foreigners is a widespread and common problem.

Just because someone applies for a job doesn't mean they will get it. I have applied for many jobs in my lifetime that I was qualified for, but did not get. I never knew why I wasn't hired. And I'm an American born citizen. That's the breaks.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, even if they don't openly admit they'd rather hire a US citizen than a legal immigrant, how can you know if that's not the case?

I've been applying for tons of jobs that I'm prefectly capable of doing since I got my EAD and haven't had any replies. I'm also wondering if the fact that all my work references are abroad is a deterrent since employers probably don't want to bother having to contact a company/supervisor in a foreign country.

When I received my GC, I too applied for a number of positions without any success. I listed my nationality on my resume which is more common in the UK, and I do believe this hindered my applications. I actually visited a recruiter who had the gaul to tell me that employers might think I couldn't spell properly, seeing as I was British. I got a little angry and told her that my country invented the language so I had a head start there. I'm sure there are great employers here in the US who have a very open policy when it comes to recruitment, as it should be. I actually work with two Brits now, quite by accident, but very enjoyable.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I actually visited a recruiter who had the gaul to tell me that employers might think I couldn't spell properly, seeing as I was British. I got a little angry and told her that my country invented the language so I had a head start there.

Well, you couldn't spell "gall", so maybe the recruiter was right after all? :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I’ve absolutely no doubt that discrimination based on not being a citizen is alive and well out there, some obvious and other’s not quite so obvious.

I applied for a ton of jobs after I for my GC and the first thing I noticed is that it’s hard if not near impossible to end up not working for close to minimum wedge to start out. It felt like no one here wanted to touch me when it came to jobs. I was an IT person back home, qualified about 5.5 years experience on the job and all I got was an interview that centered on my not being an American and about my citizenship and if it could pose problems?

It’s annoying, frustrating and very difficult to find a first job over here. I think I was discriminated against because I didn’t have any US job history at all, I wasn’t a citizen and not many places wanted to waste their time…

I did eventually get a job; not a job in my field but it’ll do. I was very lucky I started at almost double minimum wedge. I got promoted 6 months in. Almost a year later and I can’t wait to get out and back into what I did back home.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hey this is the country of free speech ya?

But this a website and the law of free speech does not apply, especially if said website is not based in the USA. Members here must refer to the TOS of VJ and that states that you should not make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

Telling someone if they don't like it then they should leave is not nice, is it? ;)

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Everyone has different experiences. My husband is from India and is working at his second job in the US, a well paying job. He hasn't had any problems.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Everyone has different experiences. My husband is from India and is working at his second job in the US, a well paying job. He hasn't had any problems.

Well I pray my fiance doesnt have any problems

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Um, if it is not legal to discriminate against non-USC's, then why does the US govt specify that someone must be a USC for many of their job openings?

www.usajobs.gov

Also, TSA is advertising in our area and specifies USC's or US Nationals. What is a US National?

Thanks,

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I actually visited a recruiter who had the gaul to tell me that employers might think I couldn't spell properly, seeing as I was British. I got a little angry and told her that my country invented the language so I had a head start there.

And don't get me started on the whole evolution of language and the UK did not "invent" the language we speak today.

And the Americans didn't "invent" the English they speak today either.

GUH!

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

This job market is complex and quite competitive. First thing you should do is to learn to sell yourself as successful americans (degree'd or not) do. Forget your home country resume formats. This is not your country. Read Resumes that knock 'em dead and Cover letters that knock 'em dead. Work on your resume before tossing it out from a plane.

I hate wasting my time, thats why when I get contacted for a job first thing I ask is, Is there a citizenship requirement? Have you noticed my experience is related to this or that and not to this specific sector/area? Sometimes people get confused. I do want to work, I just don't want me or them wasting our time.

Don't even think about discrimination, get yourself a winner attitude. Noone will be convinced on how valuable you are if you are not convinced either. Don't get scared by comments, ask as straight as you can what are the problems and offer reasons why they are not problems. Reference your strengths there where your interviewer is pointing out a weakness. If finally you don't get the job, ask for feedback. You have to learn something from that experience.

I hope this helps someone here.

Best luck

Jess

Entered US in Dec 20th 2006, K1 visa

Feb 24th 2007, Married

Conditional Resident since May 30th 2007

ROC 2009

Apr 10th, package sent to CSC

Apr 13th, package received (Day 3)

Apr 13th, NOA1 date (Day 3)

Apr 21st, Chech cashed (Day 11)

Apr 24th, NOA1 received in mail (Day 14)

May 15th, First Biometrics letter in mail (Day 35)

May 16th, Requested reschedule (Day 36)

Jun 5th, Second Biometrics letter in mail (Day 56)

Jun 15th, Biometrics (Day 66)

Jun 24th, Decision of Removal of Conditions: Approved!! (Day 75)

Jun 27th, Notice of Removal of Conditions and card production ordered via not so snail mail !YAY! (Day 78)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Of course I'm not expecting to get contacted or hired at the first place I applied at, and I expect lots of rejections before I get a job. I'm just surprised that I haven't even been invited to interviews at any of them.

Some might not find my qualifications to their needs, but I wonder, if references and proof of past experience are a must in applications (as seems to be the case) how many employers would be willing to call a foreign country to speak to a past supervisor?

I think in a way it's natural that people will go to the easy option and hire a national instead of a foreigner.

I guess the hardest is getting the foot in, and once you get a first job, the rest will come easier. So good luck to us all on the hunt!

TIMELINE

K1 visa 2006

May 9th Sent I-129 petition

May 16th NOA1 telling us they sent our case to California Service Center

June 23rd IMBRA RFE

Sept. 5th NOA2!!!!

Dec. 12th Interview at Consulate APPROVED!!!

Dec. 14th Visa received

March 19th Move to the US!

AOS

June 15th Sent AOS and AED package

June 25th NOA1s for AOS and AED

July 21st Appointment for Biometrics

July 24th RFE (co-sponsor's passport copy) sent back

Sept. 10th EAD aproved

Sept. 12th EAD card received in the mail

Oct. 9th AOS Interview. APPROVED!!!

Oct. 19th GREEN CARD received!!

126 days!!!

ha lol - you got me there. My deefense however is that I woz very tyred when I tiped that post !!

And don't get me started on the whole evolution of language and the UK did not "invent" the language we speak today.

And the Americans didn't "invent" the English they speak today either.

GUH!

I was simply annoyed with the recruiter, and was lashing out. I wasn't rewriting history. My understanding, and I could be very wrong, is that the English language is of German origin, dating back to around the fifth or sixth century AD.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I guess if you show up at the interview wearing a turban and some ugly beard, and have never shaved in your life, then they may have a point.

Or if you show up with all kinds of body piercings and tatoos, which may be appropriate in your country, that you probably wont get the job.

If you have trouble with English and you have been here for 10 years, then I guess you may have a problem.

If your culture is to never take a shower, or only bathe once a year, then you may have a problem.

If you dont assimilate the culture and the standards of grooming here, then you may have a problem.

If you smell like a goat, then you may have a problem.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.