Queen Jenn

CHECK UP ON YOUR ATTORNEY

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If any of you have an attorney, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHECK ANY FORMS THEY SUBMIT FOR YOU!!!!!

My SO and I were going to file our K1 back in January. I hired an attorney because I thought it would give me peace of mind. My attorney had prepared the G325A and given me the copies to send for signature. Then my SO and I had some things we had to work out, so we decided to wait to file the petition.

My SO has now moved and I needed to update the G325A form because I should have everything ready to submit the application next month. I was reading through the one my attorney had prepared and there were SEVERAL MISTAKES. I can't believe that I paid them several hundred dollars and there were so many mistakes on the form. I had given them ALL the information they needed and they didn't do it right. They misspelled my fiance's name. They had two of his residence addresses incorrect. They had the wrong year for one of his employers. They left a black hole between two of his employment entries. They had put the last employment in 2000 and then the next on in 2007. NOTHING FROM 2000 to 2007. That surely would have generated and RFE.

The moral to my story is that if you DO have an attorney, STILL TRIPLE CHECK THE FORMS. They can have typos and they can make mistakes that can generate an RFE and drag the process out several months.

I've fired the attorney and am going this on my own.

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

If any of you have an attorney, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHECK ANY FORMS THEY SUBMIT FOR YOU!!!!!

My SO and I were going to file our K1 back in January. I hired an attorney because I thought it would give me peace of mind. My attorney had prepared the G325A and given me the copies to send for signature. Then my SO and I had some things we had to work out, so we decided to wait to file the petition.

My SO has now moved and I needed to update the G325A form because I should have everything ready to submit the application next month. I was reading through the one my attorney had prepared and there were SEVERAL MISTAKES. I can't believe that I paid them several hundred dollars and there were so many mistakes on the form. I had given them ALL the information they needed and they didn't do it right. They misspelled my fiance's name. They had two of his residence addresses incorrect. They had the wrong year for one of his employers. They left a black hole between two of his employment entries. They had put the last employment in 2000 and then the next on in 2007. NOTHING FROM 2000 to 2007. That surely would have generated and RFE.

The moral to my story is that if you DO have an attorney, STILL TRIPLE CHECK THE FORMS. They can have typos and they can make mistakes that can generate an RFE and drag the process out several months.

i am sacking my attorney as well. i went through the very same thing with my attorney however when i starting calling them on egregious errors i was told..."i hope you don't think i am making mistakes the program makes changes after i save it" i have that in writing! i am going to do the aos solo. good luck to you.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's scary how many posts like this we see on here.....

I know that attorneys and paralegals are human and make mistakes too, but damn - this is someone's life you're talking about.

Good luck getting everything else filed right, and I'm glad you caught it in time.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

I know that attorneys and paralegals are human and make mistakes too, but damn - this is someone's life you're talking about.

Good luck getting everything else filed right, and I'm glad you caught it in time.

:thumbs::yes:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Timeline

What separates the good ones from the bad ones are those who are willing to admit their mistakes and try to make it right for the client. Sadly, not many of them are willing to do the right thing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Do the work yourself. No need for an attorney. Then you will be sure everything will be correct. You will save some money also.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Good post :thumbs:

Good Luck Queen Jenn on your journey, I'm sure with all the information available, you'll do great

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I hear you. I'm on the verge of firing mine too. I didn't know any better at the time I hired him. He did make an error which may or may not result in an RFE. We'll see...but overall, he's a good guy. Just don't see the point in paying all this money when VJ pretty much walks you through the process for free. Oh, for those who fired their attorneys, what is the process? On my letter of engagement he also stated that in addition to K1 he will be doing AOS. I haven't paid the AOS fee yet.

I-129F Sent : 2007-07-26

I-129F NOA1 issued : 2007-08-06

NOA2 received: 12/20/07

NVC received: 12/28/07

NVC sent to embassy 1/2/08

Packet 3 received: 1/15/08

Packet 3 sent: 1/21/08

Interview- 2/14/08

K1 Visa APPROVED- 2/15/08 and delivered 2/21/08

Wedding 3/21/08

3354.gif

This is common. Its happened to a friend of mine. few(5) erroneous :blink: She sent it back to their lawyer..and redo everything..She has her visa now.

My SO did all the worked for I-129F and I did AOS applications. Everything turned out good.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VJ is a big help :thumbs:

Edited by SJ

On the other hand, your way more likely to hear the bad stories than the good ones. Caveat emptor.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I hear you. I'm on the verge of firing mine too. I didn't know any better at the time I hired him. He did make an error which may or may not result in an RFE. We'll see...but overall, he's a good guy. Just don't see the point in paying all this money when VJ pretty much walks you through the process for free. Oh, for those who fired their attorneys, what is the process? On my letter of engagement he also stated that in addition to K1 he will be doing AOS. I haven't paid the AOS fee yet.

In my opinion, the best way is to write a letter stating that you are terminating his services. Make sure you DATE the letter, and keep a copy for yourself. Then send it through certified mail, with one of those green signature cards that the post office returns to you. That way, you have proof that the office signed for the termination letter.

I just told my attorney over the phone that I would not need any further services from them. But I was doing the "pay hourly as you go" and my bill was paid current. If you talk to them on the phone, make a note of the date and time of the phone call and get the name of the person you talk to.

GOOD LUCK

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.