queball

Marriage to foreigner

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi my VJ friends. I have a strange question to ask the VJ group. My friend married a woman from Thailand about 18 years ago. He was telling me today that foreigners were paying some money to marry American men just to get to the US. They have to be married for 1 year, divorce, and then they could live in this country. He was tell me that there are new laws to stop this scam. That you have to be married for an X number of years or if the marriage will end before that then the woman or man would have to go back to their native country. I have heard of these scams for many years and thank God they do not pertain to me. But is this true? I don't think I have read about this anywhere. I would love to tell my friend if this is true or not.. Oh and he has been happly married for 18 years. Jeff

Hi my VJ friends. I have a strange question to ask the VJ group. My friend married a woman from Thailand about 18 years ago. He was telling me today that foreigners were paying some money to marry American men just to get to the US. They have to be married for 1 year, divorce, and then they could live in this country. He was tell me that there are new laws to stop this scam. That you have to be married for an X number of years or if the marriage will end before that then the woman or man would have to go back to their native country. I have heard of these scams for many years and thank God they do not pertain to me. But is this true? I don't think I have read about this anywhere. I would love to tell my friend if this is true or not.. Oh and he has been happly married for 18 years. Jeff

why do you ask?

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Now you know why immigration is all screwed up. To Jail To Jail

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

why do you ask?

My friend at work was telling me about it and I was not sure if he was pulling my leg our if there was some truth to the X number of years to be married rule. This guy has a line of Bull_ _ _ _ and I was just curious. Doesn't pertain to me !!!

USCIS has a decent set of safeguards against immigration fraud, but if you do all the paperwork right, and you're good enough (have the willpower) to fake a bona fide marriage for years (literally), then you can probably get through. True enough, a mere year is not enough these days. With the K-1 visa alone taking months (on average) to get approved, the subsequent Adjustment of Status process, and Removal of Conditions 2 years after Adjustment of Status, you have to be willing to commit for a long time if you want to get into the US that bad.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Pretty easy to pull off a immigration scam if you know what the better informed peeps here on VJ know.

Takes a LOT of work tho.

First you have all the documents correct! Easy!

Proving bonafide relationship! Not that easy but can be done with hi tech and patients. Even pictures.

Emails and chat records can be easily faked. Takes a bit of work but not a bad job if you are getting 10K+ for working a 15 minutes a day on your PC.

Rich peeps will pay BIGTIME to get their relatives here.

Main thing to beat is the interview. Can be done with proper coaching also.

It's being done all the time.

Worst thing is when a lonely American falls in love and gets scammed by a smart GC seeker.

Happens more and more in the computer age now.

All this makes it much tougher on the peeps that are for real.

Plus they add to the processing times.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Pretty easy to pull off a immigration scam if you know what the better informed peeps here on VJ know.

Takes a LOT of work tho.

First you have all the documents correct! Easy!

Proving bonafide relationship! Not that easy but can be done with hi tech and patients. Even pictures.

Emails and chat records can be easily faked. Takes a bit of work but not a bad job if you are getting 10K+ for working a 15 minutes a day on your PC.

Rich peeps will pay BIGTIME to get their relatives here.

Main thing to beat is the interview. Can be done with proper coaching also.

It's being done all the time.

Worst thing is when a lonely American falls in love and gets scammed by a smart GC seeker.

Happens more and more in the computer age now.

All this makes it much tougher on the peeps that are for real.

Plus they add to the processing times.

Unfortunatly very true

Nov 2nd 2006 met online

June 28th 2007 sent 1-129f to NSC

July 11th 2007 NOA-1 received date on NOA-1 (now at CSC)

July 19th 2007 NAO 1 Reciept date on NOA-1

Nov 21st 2007 NOA-2

Dec 13th 2007 - arrives at NVC

Dec 20th 2007 - leaves NVC on route to GUZ

March 10th 2008- P3 sent & returned

April 9th 2008- P-4

May 22nd 2008 interview

Tracking:

Filing to Noa -1 -13 days

NOA-1 to NOA-2 - 133 days

NOA-2 to NVC - 22 days

NVC Processing - 7 days

NVC to GUZ - 81 days

P-3 to interview - 73 days

Interview to visa - 10 days

Filing to visa- 341 days

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

I cannot imagine the pain someone would go through in a situation like this.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Perhaps, he get paid before. :blink:

USCIS has a decent set of safeguards against immigration fraud, but if you do all the paperwork right, and you're good enough (have the willpower) to fake a bona fide marriage for years (literally), then you can probably get through. True enough, a mere year is not enough these days. With the K-1 visa alone taking months (on average) to get approved, the subsequent Adjustment of Status process, and Removal of Conditions 2 years after Adjustment of Status, you have to be willing to commit for a long time if you want to get into the US that bad.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know plenty of situations where people have gotten married for the green card...

It makes me very angry :angry: because so many of us fight to marry our loved one. But there is only so much that the USCIS can do...if they're too strict then the honest ones would have an even WORSE time.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline
I know plenty of situations where people have gotten married for the green card...

It makes me very angry :angry: because so many of us fight to marry our loved one. But there is only so much that the USCIS can do...if they're too strict then the honest ones would have an even WORSE time.

SO TRUE !!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.