queball

K-1 visa

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
It appears all to be good advice. However each country has their own set of rules. The Ukraine is unique in it's own way. So many requirements are put on you to leave that I would search for someone from the Ukraine with a similar experience and Visa. My wife has a very good friend who will come to the US in November this year. I will ask her if their are any special requirements the Ukrainian government places on K1 visa travelers. I will post her response her tomorrow. As they say in the Ukraine..... all of these US forms are worthless here.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I agree, each country has their own rules. Ukraine does things a little different there and my Fiancee might be right. I am looking forward to hearing from someone that left Ukraine might have some info for us. Thanks for your help Mike. Jeff and Yulia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Pras came from Hyderabad (India) to Detroit on a one-way--enough said!

Just went through this very thing. After the k1 was approved I fedex'd a 1 way ticket to Kiev for her trip this sunday.

The reason I had to FEDEX it was the website that I got my great fare on only issued paper tickets, otherwise I'm sure I would have gotten e-tickets for her, had they been an option.

Basically, RT tickets are not a requirement and the consulate is not interested in your travel arrangements. I am not aware of any requirement by the Ukrainian government and why should they care since she has a US Visa anyway.

FYI- my fare with less than a weeks notice before purchasing was $650 from Kiev to Chicago (1 way). I found fares for as low as $525 but they needed a 2 week advance. If you want the name of the website for cheap airfares PM me.

Hi HUSKERKIEV, Thanks for the info. So far we checked on line and found a flight using Delta for $627.00. Flight will be in Dec. If you have some sites for cheaper tickets I would really like to look at them. thanks for all your help! Jeff

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks Mike, I agree, each country has their own rules. Ukraine does things a little different there and my Fiancee might be right. I am looking forward to hearing from someone that left Ukraine might have some info for us. Thanks for your help Mike. Jeff and Yulia

I think my experience is directly relevant

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi everyone. My fiancee just told me that in the Ukraine forum, the girls there told her that for the K-1 visa you have to buy a round trip plane ticket. They will not let you buy a oneway ticket. Is this true. Can someone that lived in Ukraine and came to the USA on a K-1 visa tell me if this is true. My Fiancee is just going on the advise of these girls in her forum. Thanks you for any help you can give us !! Jeff :help:

Everyone seemed to jump to the financial aspect of the question and I think missed the point. The Ukranian government nor the US Consulate/Embassy is really interested in the type of ticket.

The issue is, if a person is denied entrance to the USA at the POE by the immigration officials, the airline is responsible for returning that person to the place of origin. Hence the airlines can dictate these rules. I have only read of one case which was written up on the British Expats web-site about 2 or 3 years ago where Garuda, the Indonesian AIrline requires a roundtrip ticket for persons traveling to the USA that do not have citizenship or residency.

So this is an additional case beyond the financial consideration, the governments and the Embassy or Consulate.

Good Luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Not to beat a dead horse, but I travel tons both on and off government business. One way tickets are virtually ALWAYS cheaper. The rule to round-trip tickets stems from the fact that they are cheaper than purchasing TWO one-way tickets, generally. If you are not planning on returning, then a single one-way should be cheaper on virtually every airline.

-------I-129F Timeline-------

2007/08/13 - I-129F sent to CSC

2007/08/15 - I-129F received

2007/09/26 - NOA1 noticed (received date of 08/15)

2007/09/30 - Touched

2007/10/01 - NOA1 hardcopy in mail box

2007/10/01 - Check Cashed

2008/01/25 - Touched (RFE trick call)

2008/01/27 - Touched

2008/01/30 - NOA2 :)

2008/01/31 - Touched

2008/02/01 - Touched

2008/02/03 - Touched

2008/02/05 - NOA2 hardcopy in mail box

2008/02/13 - Case left NVC to US Embassy in Tokyo :))

2008/02/19 - Case arrived at US Embassy

2008/02/22 - Packet3 received

2008/03/04 - Police certificate & Medical done

2008/03/18 - Interview

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I found R/T tix to be cheaper before, but YMMV.

Also, I've heard that you may get looked at more carefuly by DHS with a O/W ticket.

Then again, VJers here have said it's not problem to get a O/W ticket.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I travel tons both on and off government business. One way tickets are virtually ALWAYS cheaper. The rule to round-trip tickets stems from the fact that they are cheaper than purchasing TWO one-way tickets, generally. If you are not planning on returning, then a single one-way should be cheaper on virtually every airline.

Right if both of the tickets are the same fare class. But it also stems from comparing a full fare one way ticket vs a heavily discounted round trip ticket.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Right if both of the tickets are the same fare class. But it also stems from comparing a full fare one way ticket vs a heavily discounted round trip ticket.

Yeah I would think the Round trip is cheaper as well.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm talking about the round trip tix for me in the Sunday travel section, the bucket seats -or consolidator seats. Round trip was heavily discounted and o/w was full fare.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
NOT TRUE! This has been a long standing disbelief in Russia and the CIS. Round Trip or One-Way, Buy what is cheapest! :thumbs:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.