Angie Y Shane

This is what's going on.

112 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
heartily agree with the first comment, about asylum seekers and those in danger; I'll willingly wait months more if that's the reason

the second thing - well, I guess it's the famous sarcasm, so maybe not meant to be taken literally, but as I read doug & angel's post, the 'going out of business' comment referred to similar proposals in the world of commerce... I thought his comment was quite measured, actually, and doesn't need to be responded to snidely, but each to their own :)

haven't read the document in detail yet - though I did scan it - and haven't reached the 20% figure yet, so I'm interested to know it's there; thank you :)

The sarcastic point is this - what would we all do if there was no immigration allowed? The powers that be don't HAVE to let foreign born citizens in, you know. Indeed, there is probably a dark enough political tide in this country towards such a school of thought.

Much of what I post is intended to give the posters and readers pause to think. There is loads of grumbling about service and wait times. My husband and I grumbled and worried our way through a 17-month greencard filing, so I personally have experienced the delays of the system. But the fact remains - this IS the system. It does function, albeit slowly, and gets the job done.

I worry more about the law and political mindset in this nation towards immigrants than I do the system that is trying to process them. Each of you petitioning to bring a foreign-born person to this nation would be well served to think long and hard about your loved ones life once they get here. Amnesty has affected the perception of immigrants in this country and your loved one may experience reactions from less-than-thoughtful members of our society.

Immigration is more than getting a visa - it's an ongoing paper shuffling process, true - but it's far more than that. You are bringing someone to a new land. The adjustments from that and its ramifications will last your entire life. If you are so impatient that you find the visa process tiresome, I suggest you don't have the patience to be married to someone who will themselves need your support and encouragement in making a life-changing transition.

though i agree with your entire post, with all due respect, your 17 month wait to your green card was not while you were separated from your husband with you in the UK. your timeline processing was very fast to unite you two. We are just grumbling to receive the same treatment. let the process slow down once my fiance is here with me and we are married. i can wait 3 years on her green card no problem. waiting 140 days for a NOA2 is insane when previously people were approved under a month as you were. And i am sure if you had met with the delays we are getting during the first stage of processing you would have grumbled just as loudly as the rest of us, being separated from your husband indefinately.

that is what you fail to understand. I am fully prepared to help my future wife adjust to life in a new culture and country, but in order to do that, she needs to be able to come here.

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I read somewhere that another reason was due to staff being temporarily assigned to passport applications.

I don't think that this is possible as USCIS is Department of Homeland Security and only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I think each situation has its own difficulties; at the moment it's hard because we can't make plans or set dates, and so many things are on hold (including when I give my notice to my two jobs, both of which are being being very understanding ;) ); later on it will be great to be together, but difficult because I won't be able to work; after that there'll be new difficulties, some of which I can foresee, others I can't... rebeccajo is right to make us think, and they're valid things to be thinking about, but it IS different to be facing difficulties on your own - and in fact compounding the hardship with added (admittedly minor) niggles like not being able to talk because of timezones, or whatever - and to be facing them with your partner by your side

all of which means I guess I agree with points that both have raised ;)

and I know full well what it's like to move countries, probably more than most - I resigned a good job, let a lovely flat, sold a car, and left 32 years' worth of friends and family to come to live in London, with no job and nowhere to stay... that's turned out brilliantly, and I'm going to be sorry to go, but I am WELL aware of some of the pitfalls and frustrations that lie ahead; I think about them all the time

yes, many don't, and they should - but I wonder how best to go about that :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
So having ones partner here suddenly makes ALL other immigration related issues melt away?

Hmm okay...!

Of course!

Maybe we should tell that to Laura whose husband is on his 3rd EAD...or the people who didn't think they'd get stuck in name check and can't work...or John and Annie who were stuck at CSC forever pending name check...

or Caladan or all the other people who've been waiting months for the AOS NOA.

Or all the people who find out their spouse is an overstay/shouldn't have been working and make themselves sick to their stomachs with worry no matter how many times they read "unauthorized work/overstay forgiven through marriage to a USC".

Or anyone and everyone who has to open up all the wounds again with lifting of conditions...the people who submit more than enough proof and yet get RFE'd for more...

Excuse me while I gag.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
heartily agree with the first comment, about asylum seekers and those in danger; I'll willingly wait months more if that's the reason

the second thing - well, I guess it's the famous sarcasm, so maybe not meant to be taken literally, but as I read doug & angel's post, the 'going out of business' comment referred to similar proposals in the world of commerce... I thought his comment was quite measured, actually, and doesn't need to be responded to snidely, but each to their own :)

haven't read the document in detail yet - though I did scan it - and haven't reached the 20% figure yet, so I'm interested to know it's there; thank you :)

The sarcastic point is this - what would we all do if there was no immigration allowed? The powers that be don't HAVE to let foreign born citizens in, you know. Indeed, there is probably a dark enough political tide in this country towards such a school of thought.

Much of what I post is intended to give the posters and readers pause to think. There is loads of grumbling about service and wait times. My husband and I grumbled and worried our way through a 17-month greencard filing, so I personally have experienced the delays of the system. But the fact remains - this IS the system. It does function, albeit slowly, and gets the job done.

I worry more about the law and political mindset in this nation towards immigrants than I do the system that is trying to process them. Each of you petitioning to bring a foreign-born person to this nation would be well served to think long and hard about your loved ones life once they get here. Amnesty has affected the perception of immigrants in this country and your loved one may experience reactions from less-than-thoughtful members of our society.

Immigration is more than getting a visa - it's an ongoing paper shuffling process, true - but it's far more than that. You are bringing someone to a new land. The adjustments from that and its ramifications will last your entire life. If you are so impatient that you find the visa process tiresome, I suggest you don't have the patience to be married to someone who will themselves need your support and encouragement in making a life-changing transition.

though i agree with your entire post, with all due respect, your 17 month wait to your green card was not while you were separated from your husband with you in the UK. your timeline processing was very fast to unite you two. We are just grumbling to receive the same treatment. let the process slow down once my fiance is here with me and we are married. i can wait 3 years on her green card no problem. waiting 140 days for a NOA2 is insane when previously people were approved under a month as you were. And i am sure if you had met with the delays we are getting during the first stage of processing you would have grumbled just as loudly as the rest of us, being separated from your husband indefinately.

that is what you fail to understand. I am fully prepared to help my future wife adjust to life in a new culture and country, but in order to do that, she needs to be able to come here.

Chris

Well put Chris! I completely agree with you! waiting a month for processing then having your SO with you is not a problem! waiting many months is when you start to feel the pain! Its something one would never understand until you go through it!!!! But there are always "those" peeople who think they know how it feels but actually have no idea!!!

05 - 21 - 07 -- Mailed to TSC

05 - 23 - 07 -- Priority Date on NOA1

05 - 29 - 07 -- Check Cashed (Received WAC# off of check)

08 - 02 - 07 -- Call to USCIS for NOA1

10 - 10 - 07 -- NOA2 Issued

11 - 06 - 07 -- Mailed to NVC

11 - 13 - 07 -- NVC began working on petition

11 - 15 - 07 -- NVC mailed to ISB Embassy

12 - 04 - 07 -- Received Packet 3.5 (First Round)

12 - 11 - 07 -- Sent Packet 3.5

12 - 14 - 07 -- US Embassy Received Packet 3.5

01 - 17 - 08 -- Received Packet 4 (Medical & Police Report)

03 - 25 - 08 -- Interview Date - Complete

03 - 27 - 08 -- Case transferred to US, AP begins

07 - 29 - 08 -- Mailed Passport for Visa (Approx. 4 months)

08 - 07 - 08 -- Visa in Hand :-)

09 - 13 - 08 -- Flight to JFK

pakistan_b.gifUSA_b.gif

Timeline
So having ones partner here suddenly makes ALL other immigration related issues melt away?

Hmm okay...!

Hmm, no and i didint say that, but it sure makes it easier to suffer them. you dont agree?

i didnt know being with your future spouse wasnt of paramount importantance to you for your processing. Glad i want to be with my fiance, thank you. Have you gotten any gigs from your band photo on here?

Chris

Edited by chris4gretchen

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

oh sheesh, enough with the "since you didn't wait for your K-1 as long as me, you can't say anything" rhetoric already!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Well put Chris! I completely agree with you! waiting a month for processing then having your SO with you is not a problem! waiting many months is when you start to feel the pain! Its something one would never understand until you go through it!!!! But there are always "those" peeople who think they know how it feels but actually have no idea!!!

Of course! Because 'those' people didn't actually go through a visa process/LDR themselves. :lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hmm okay...!

No, but it does make the whole ordeal more bearable. Particularly for those of us who only get to see our partners a few times a year or less. Having a loved one by your side and having a loved one "by your side" are two very different situations.

05-13-06 - Met at Neo Nightclub in Chicago through a mutual friend.

05-24-06 - First formal date, followed immediately by weekend spent together.

09-07-06 - First trip to the UK. Sick most of the time, loved it anyway. :)

11-21-06 - Alasdair comes in for Thanksgiving.

03-28-07 - Second trip to the UK, flew out to Northern Ireland to meet the parents.

06-12-07 - Alasdair's next visit, we go everywhere and do everything. :)

06-17-07 - We become formally engaged, though it'd been in discussion for months.

07-27-07 - I-129F packet sent to Nebraska Service Center.

07-30-07 - I-129F packet received at Nebraska Service Center and forwarded to California.

08-24-07 - Check finally cashed!

08-25-07 - NOA1 Received!

01-30-08 - NOA2 Finally Received!

03-18-08 - Packet 3 Received!

04-03-08 - Packet 4 Received!

04-28-08 - Interview at 8:30am

Fiance still an idiot, sent wrong doc, still waiting on arrival date.

3052.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

"If there are asylees in this country who were victims of political oppression in their homeland, and the US government wants to make some exception to process their cases prior to family based cases, that is admirable in my opinion.

Being separated from your boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse a few weeks longer in order to save removal of persons who might possibly be sent back home to tyrannical governments should not be a reason for outrage".

I have to agree with RebeccaJo on this one.

It is not easy to have to wait through the USCIS process. I for one was not happy with the process, however, I do believe that those in NEED should have some priority.

It is not different to being TRIAGED at the ER. Heart Attacks should and do go before ear aches.

If we were being set aside for back ups do to their own accord that is different.

There is a reason why they are Asylees and if we can help then we should. If the way we help is letting them be a step ahead then it is all good.

We may have to wait a bit longer (not easy I for one know this), but at least we are safe and our loved ones are safe.

April 24th 2007 NOA1

July 11th 2007 touched

August 10th 2007 RFE (paperwork they already had)

August 13thFED EX RFE INFO

August 14 VSC Received

August 21st touched

August 22nd touched

August 23rd touched (cleared security checks)

August 24th touched

September 14th 2007 NOA2

September 20th 2007 Hard Copy of NOA2

September 20th 2007 Letter drawn up from NVC

with new case number. Within a week

Visa petition will be sent to London.

September 29th 2007 letter received from London Embassy

*they have it :D* Need to schedule Medical.

October 12th 2007 Medical complete and done....passed :D

November 5th 2007 Checklist sent to London Embassy

November 12th 2007 Checklist received by London Embassy

December 5th 2007 Interview Date London Embassy *Dances around room*

DECEMBER 5TH K1 APPROVED *Jumps up and down on bed*

*LONDON WAS EASY*

December 17th Fiance' arrived in the U.S. *MERRY CHRISTMAS*

December 19th Social Security applied for

Live first and foremost, don't judge others as they will eventually judge you!! Be the most for your heart and not your head. Above all remember every person you meet is a person!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It is very easy for those who were processed or united with their SO in under 2 months to defend USCIS....i don't think it is understod how hard and stressfull it is to wait so long and on top of it, to be kept in the dark without a single clue as to when you might be getting an NOA2....Something is seriously wrong with this!!

2/17/07-Met in Bogota

4/20/07-returned to Bogota to see her

5/18/07-sent out I129f

5/19/07-returned to Bogota to see her

5/21/07-received at VCS

5/28/07-Received NOA1

5/30/07-touch

7/4/07-returned to see her

10/17/07-Met Leidy in Panama for 5 days

10/26/07-RFE

10/27/07-Sent back RFE

10/29/07-Touch due to RFE arriving

10/30/07-Touch

10/31/07-Touch

11/15/07-NOA2 Sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/16/07-Touch

11/19/07-NVC Received

11/21/07-Left NVC for Consulate

11/22/07-Returned to see Leidy after her stay in the hospital..

11/23/07-Consualte received

11/26/07-Packet 3 sent to Leidy

12/04/07-Packet 3 received

12/04/07-Packet 3 sent

12/31/07-Interview date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

1/9/08- Leidy's overnight flight will arrive to JFK airport!!!!!!

Hmm okay...!

Hmm, no and i didint say that, but it sure makes it easier to suffer them. you dont agree?

i didnt know being with your future spouse wasnt of paramount importantance to you for your processing. Glad i want to be with my fiance, thank you.

Chris

I personally cannot say for sure yet. Our AOS is in its infancy (relatively). But the examples meow mix gave above are just a few indicators that there are still issues and complexities once the couple is together.

My fiance (now hubby) and I were apart for quite a while too, thank you, as were many others here. I don't recall saying that you should want to be apart from your fiancee. *shrug*

I was trying to understand how you could have come to that conclusion. A brief read through of the AOS forum should be at least some indication that immigration issues don't 'fall off' after the foreign fiance/spouse arrives on US soil. Sorry if I assumed you had at least read a thread or two there. I was simply pointing out that being together doesn't 100% of the time equate to immigration roses and clovers.

But I'll go away now and let you all fight over who is suffering more in this process.

I think the often used phrase 'Sheesh, VJ' is somehow very apt.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
"If there are asylees in this country who were victims of political oppression in their homeland, and the US government wants to make some exception to process their cases prior to family based cases, that is admirable in my opinion.

Being separated from your boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse a few weeks longer in order to save removal of persons who might possibly be sent back home to tyrannical governments should not be a reason for outrage".

I have to agree with RebeccaJo on this one.

It is not easy to have to wait through the USCIS process. I for one was not happy with the process, however, I do believe that those in NEED should have some priority.

It is not different to being TRIAGED at the ER. Heart Attacks should and do go before ear aches.

If we were being set aside for back ups do to their own accord that is different.

There is a reason why they are Asylees and if we can help then we should. If the way we help is letting them be a step ahead then it is all good.

We may have to wait a bit longer (not easy I for one know this), but at least we are safe and our loved ones are safe.

oh ok cool. currently there are a few thousand Iraqi asylees in Syria looking to get a visa to come to the usa. I figure its only a year to process them then sure, we wont mind them getting to our petitions. And i think that most of the cuban petitions put to the front are given an interview in switzerland, not cuba. I dont mind waiting for asylees, but i do mind waiting on ineffiecnt government #######. cutting the service centers down to 2 when they already had a backlog before the fee increase was the worst decision. They are a business just like any other and i can complain all i want if i so choose to. they are responsible for their decisions to their paying customers. And thats what we are, even on their own website. Customers...

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/19/08 Checks cashed

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Filed: Timeline

I was separated from my fiance for 5 months, is my opinion worthy enough for VJ? My interview took 151 days from filing - hope that's good enough! :wacko:

A year ago we had crazy IMBRA delays.

This year fees went up & there was a mass influx of apps to beat the date. OF COURSE THERE WILL BE SLOW DOWNS. You'll get thru it, ike the thousands before you, no matter if it's 2 months or 10.

Edited by devilette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.