LvivLovers

Airfare rant

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

First we must deal with immigration. And then once that's over with, then the airlines! :ranting::ranting::ranting:

Ok, so I'm just going to pass on my experience hoping that it may help someone in the future.

My wife will have her interview on Oct. 29, so I decided we should have plenty of time to receive the visa if I come on Nov. 10 and bring her back to the USA with me on Nov. 17.

I'm planning to travel round trip between Atlanta, GA, USA and Kyiv, Ukraine since that's usually easier to find flights along that route. Then my wife will join me just from Kyiv, Ukraine back to Atlanta, GA, USA. I wanted Atlanta to be our only stop in the USA so that would be her port of entry (also where I live). That way even if the immigration stuff takes a long time we won't miss our connecting flight. This limited our flight options a little bit.

I logged into Orbitz to see what flights I could get since I used them in the past and they were decent. I finally found a route I liked. I figured it might be a little complicating getting my wife on the same flights as me so I decided to call Orbitz. Long story short, I painstakingly gave the guy on the other end of the phone all the information but when it came time to add my wife going one way only, he tells me the system won't let him originate a flight from Ukraine. He then wanted to talk me into keeping my round trip ticket because it would be cheaper than going through the airline directly. Anyway, I decided I'd check that out.

I called NWA and told them what I was trying to do. I got an extra 5 hour layover since they have to use partner airlines only, but I figured that's ok. Total cost of my round trip ticket was about $800. I was pretty happy with this, especially since this was very close to what Orbitz had.

Then the shocker. She pulled the rate for my wife to join me just on the return flights. Cost: More than $2,500! I was like hmm.....that's not good.

I asked her if I could just make a round trip ticket the same as mine and have her only show up for the return flights, but she said if she does not show for the first flight they cancel the whole thing.

And now my tip for future travellers in case you don't know....I then asked her to make a round trip ticket for my wife starting with the return flight part and returning to Ukraine in a week (even though my wife will just skip this). The price came down to about $800. hahaha

Add the airlines to my hate list please...right up there with CSC!

Hope this helps someone!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

LL

Talked with my wife about the physical she said the physical was very easy and there was nothing to fear. Her physical was $100 and the extra shot was about $15 each. As for the airline I have had nearly the same experience except I was able to find the inexpensive one way fare on Expedia. It was about the same cost as the round trip.

Mike

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ukraine

Marriage : 2006-12-12

I130/CR1

I-130 Sent : 2006-12-19

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-01-06

I-130 Approved : 2007-04-19

NVC Received : 2007-05-01

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : May 14 2007

Pay I-864 Bill Received and Marked Paid May 30 2007 Shorcut not used..but one $70 fee paid for both CR1 and CR2

Receive I-864 Package : June 4 2007

I-864 Receivd at NVC June 7 2007 Used Shortcut Successfully I-864 Approved 6-18-07

Return Completed DS-3032 : Three failed e-mail attempts DS-3032 received 8 June 2007 Completed June 11, 2007

Receive IV Bill : Generated 6-18-07 Received June 29, 2007

Pay IV Bill : Paid 2 July 2007, Posted at NVC 9 July, 2007

Receive Instruction Package : 16 July DS 230 submitted using Shortcuts

Case Completed at NVC : 15 August 2007

NVC Left : 12 Sep 2007

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 17 Oct 2007

Visa Received : 17 Oct 2007

US Entry : est 3 Nov 2007 @ 7:22 pm LosAngeles

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 121

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQxJkRhdGUrb2YrSTEzMCtOT0ExJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmbCYwJjYmMSYyMDA3JjEyJjAmNDU0OTA2MDAxMTc5ODgyOTU4Lic=.gif

THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS NO...UNTIL YOU ASK!

Michael & Elena

Bakesfield, CA

Timeline
LL

Talked with my wife about the physical she said the physical was very easy and there was nothing to fear. Her physical was $100 and the extra shot was about $15 each. As for the airline I have had nearly the same experience except I was able to find the inexpensive one way fare on Expedia. It was about the same cost as the round trip.

Mike

Thanks again, Mike! I'm still not locked into my fair, so I'll probably check them too!

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

I sent Claudeth money to buy her own ticket and saved us about $150. Did you have her look?

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Airlines have people over a barrel, it really sucks what they are able to do.

On my last trip to the US we decided that my hubby would collect me from Chicago and we would drive 3 hours to get to his house, rather than waiting 6 hours for a 45 minute connecting flight. Because he picked me up, United invalidated not only the connecting flight but also my return flights as well. So I had to book another set of tickets just so that I could get home. Apparently, the 4000 miles I flew to get there are also not valid for my mileage plus account :(

The only upside is that I booked the return for this ticket to be February, which is when I think my visa will be complete. So it will either be the ticket I use to enter the US on... or, if the visa is not complete, it will be a 2 week holiday in the US and I'll book another "US->UK" flight to get home again.

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

LL

Mike

I have been thinking about this also.... My fiance's mother is in good health but is fairly old. I was thinking of buying her a round trip ticket with a return date of close to a year. Is that possible? I know she will want to visit her mom and sister, etc. And, does anyone know if there will be any visa related issues within this time period concerning a visit home?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband comes to visit every month... it's about 1500USD to fly here from Chicago, only to stay 4 or 5 days :(.

It's a lot of money, but we figure we can always make more money, whereas we can have back the time we lose not being together.

dd/mmm/aaaa

05/jun/2007 - Got married

I-130

08/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet sent to NSC

09/aug/2007 - I-130 Packet received

19/sep/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

25/sep/2007 - NOA1 arrived

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on March 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-130 was approved in 258 days.

I-129F

09/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet sent to CSC

10/oct/2007 - I-129F Packet received

12/oct/2007 - NOA1 receipt date

20/oct/2007 - NOA1 received

23/apr/2008 - APPROVED

Timeline estimated adjudication on April 4, 2008. It was adjudicated on April 23.

Our I-129f was approved in 197 days.

NVC

08/may/2008 - replied to my e-mail sent on april 30, saying that our petition has been sent to the consulate.

Consulate

20/JUN/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

AOS

18/mar/2009 - Packet delivered

24/mar/2009 - NOA for AOS and EAD date

25/mar/2009 - Check cashed

15/apr/2009 - Biometrics done

22/may/2009 - EAD approved

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wow! That all sucks. When I did ours, I called American directly and had them give me round trip and Andre just the return flight. I don't know what exactly they did; but his ticket was exactly 1/2 the cost of mine. I guess we lucked out.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
First we must deal with immigration. And then once that's over with, then the airlines! :ranting::ranting::ranting:

Ok, so I'm just going to pass on my experience hoping that it may help someone in the future.

My wife will have her interview on Oct. 29, so I decided we should have plenty of time to receive the visa if I come on Nov. 10 and bring her back to the USA with me on Nov. 17.

I'm planning to travel round trip between Atlanta, GA, USA and Kyiv, Ukraine since that's usually easier to find flights along that route. Then my wife will join me just from Kyiv, Ukraine back to Atlanta, GA, USA. I wanted Atlanta to be our only stop in the USA so that would be her port of entry (also where I live). That way even if the immigration stuff takes a long time we won't miss our connecting flight. This limited our flight options a little bit.

I logged into Orbitz to see what flights I could get since I used them in the past and they were decent. I finally found a route I liked. I figured it might be a little complicating getting my wife on the same flights as me so I decided to call Orbitz. Long story short, I painstakingly gave the guy on the other end of the phone all the information but when it came time to add my wife going one way only, he tells me the system won't let him originate a flight from Ukraine. He then wanted to talk me into keeping my round trip ticket because it would be cheaper than going through the airline directly. Anyway, I decided I'd check that out.

I called NWA and told them what I was trying to do. I got an extra 5 hour layover since they have to use partner airlines only, but I figured that's ok. Total cost of my round trip ticket was about $800. I was pretty happy with this, especially since this was very close to what Orbitz had.

Then the shocker. She pulled the rate for my wife to join me just on the return flights. Cost: More than $2,500! I was like hmm.....that's not good.

I asked her if I could just make a round trip ticket the same as mine and have her only show up for the return flights, but she said if she does not show for the first flight they cancel the whole thing.

And now my tip for future travellers in case you don't know....I then asked her to make a round trip ticket for my wife starting with the return flight part and returning to Ukraine in a week (even though my wife will just skip this). The price came down to about $800. hahaha

Hope this helps someone!

You would have saved yourself a lot of stress by simply describing what you wanted to do (in one of the forums) and asking how best to do it. The end result would be the same because the problem is one we all face. From some countries, however, it is best to buy a one way ticket in country at the last minute. Making the same flights can be pretty tricky that way, if there are connections.

Most would also advise the intending immigrant not make specific travel plans until the visa is in hand. I hope you are satisfied with any refund or change fee policy associated with her ticket or both. Good luck.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Good point! :yes:

My husband comes to visit every month... it's about 1500USD to fly here from Chicago, only to stay 4 or 5 days :(.

It's a lot of money, but we figure we can always make more money, whereas we can have back the time we lose not being together.

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Timeline

Hope this helps someone!

You would have saved yourself a lot of stress by simply describing what you wanted to do (in one of the forums) and asking how best to do it. The end result would be the same because the problem is one we all face. From some countries, however, it is best to buy a one way ticket in country at the last minute. Making the same flights can be pretty tricky that way, if there are connections.

Most would also advise the intending immigrant not make specific travel plans until the visa is in hand. I hope you are satisfied with any refund or change fee policy associated with her ticket or both. Good luck.

Most of all I wanted to insure that we would be booked together, so waiting until the last minute wasn't a good option for us. Also, the main purpose of my trip is to help her finalize things, help with baggage, and help her get through immigration. I allowed about 3 weeks for the visa...they say it should take from 3-8 days. If for some reason she doesn't get the visa, this trip will just turn into a visit because we've been apart for too long.

I sent Claudeth money to buy her own ticket and saved us about $150. Did you have her look?

I think she would have had trouble doing this because we really wanted to travel together so she would have had to book my flight also.

Airlines have people over a barrel, it really sucks what they are able to do.

On my last trip to the US we decided that my hubby would collect me from Chicago and we would drive 3 hours to get to his house, rather than waiting 6 hours for a 45 minute connecting flight. Because he picked me up, United invalidated not only the connecting flight but also my return flights as well. So I had to book another set of tickets just so that I could get home. Apparently, the 4000 miles I flew to get there are also not valid for my mileage plus account :(

The only upside is that I booked the return for this ticket to be February, which is when I think my visa will be complete. So it will either be the ticket I use to enter the US on... or, if the visa is not complete, it will be a 2 week holiday in the US and I'll book another "US->UK" flight to get home again.

Cheryl, that's terrible. Again these people just care about making money and force you to jump through all sorts of hoops and rules. I'm so tired of things like this.

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Timeline
LL

Mike

I have been thinking about this also.... My fiance's mother is in good health but is fairly old. I was thinking of buying her a round trip ticket with a return date of close to a year. Is that possible? I know she will want to visit her mom and sister, etc. And, does anyone know if there will be any visa related issues within this time period concerning a visit home?

Joelunchbox, yes I think that is possible. Each airline has a limit how far in the future you can go, but the person I talked to indicated for that airline I could buy a return up to about a year in the future. It may be a little more tricky to lock in a good deal however. That's why I decided we probably wouldn't really use our return and just made it a week away.

Elbereth, that is a lot of money but I completely understand. I would have done the same in our situation, but I couldn't get more vacation days to go see her and she couldn't get a visa to come see me.

Wow! That all sucks. When I did ours, I called American directly and had them give me round trip and Andre just the return flight. I don't know what exactly they did; but his ticket was exactly 1/2 the cost of mine. I guess we lucked out.

Jomo's girl...that's awesome. I wish that all airlines were as common sense/friendly as that. It's expensive enough already, so it would be nice if they would cut us a break.

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Timeline
LL

Mike

Joelunchbox, yes I think that is possible. Each airline has a limit how far in the future you can go, but the person I talked to indicated for that airline I could buy a return up to about a year in the future. It may be a little more tricky to lock in a good deal however. That's why I decided we probably wouldn't really use our return and just made it a week away.

I remember the days when a Saturday night stay was required to get the best airfare. Lot's of people were buying two round trip tickets and using only the first half of each one, in order to save money on business trips. I was single during most of that time, so preferred to have my employer spend a little less money funding hotels and food, so I could enjoy the weekend where I was working. My favorite was the week I worked a trade show at the Doral Country Club and then spent the weekend in the Keys on the company dime.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most if not all airlines will allow tix to be purchased 364 days in advance. The caveat is that you are subject to schedule changes and being that far in advance it is likely.....

YMMV

Timeline
Most if not all airlines will allow tix to be purchased 364 days in advance. The caveat is that you are subject to schedule changes and being that far in advance it is likely.....

The flight times on the last two domestic trips I took in July and August had departure time changes of a few minutes on at least one of the legs. This is common but you have to watch it closely to make sure any connections still work for you.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.